X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet tax petition

Please sign the petition to prevent across the border internet tax. Must of you may have already received the message, in case you missed it.
    The U.S. Supreme Court has announced their decision on the S. Dakota v. Wayfair case, overturning the long-standing rule that states could not tax businesses or sellers outside of their borders. Now is the time for Congress to act on legislation that protects small businesses.
    And we need your help.
    Please consider signing our petition to show our country's political leaders that these new Internet tax burdens could permanently damage U.S. small businesses. The petition takes less than a minute to complete. We will soon deliver this petition to President Trump, key members of Congress, and select state governors, so we need you to participate now.

eBay has always supported tax policy that is fair to entrepreneurs, artisans, and small businesses. Rest assured that eBay will continue to fight this battle on behalf of all of our valued customers.

Sincerely,

eBay

thank you

crankestein

Done and Thank You.
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Rather than every state taxing all businesses that ship products in for online/mail order sales. It makes more sense for all sales to be taxed in the state where the business operates.

Internet sales are making huge impact on sales tax collections across the country. That affects the state and local governments' ability to pay for needed services (police, fire dept, roads...) They have to fund these things somehow and they will apply other taxes if sales taxes are no longer working.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

fhhuber, I respect your thought; however, why add this new tax at all? I think that most new taxes applied are the simple solution for federal, state and local authorities who would rather impose on my earnings (again) rather than do the hard work of making decisions to do with what money that is already available, i.e., cut spending in areas where there exist inefficiencies in order to pay for expansion of existing programs or new projects. Additionally, many private enterprises are more than willing to get involved with gov't in local projects that make sense and are profitable, understanding that where additional gov't taxation is incurred a greater burden is always placed on lower-income individuals. A sales tax hike affects those individuals to a greater degree than it will me. The Internet is a true free-market and that market succeeds because price/quality comparison is on display. Sales tax will vary from state to state. Items purchased from a state with higher taxes cost more, eventually, sales will drop in those states as I can buy the same product somewhere else for a lesser price, e.g. free-market. The point is we all will buy to a greater degree at the lowest price for the same goods. Taxes influence that price and in time where I will buy. Businesses in high tax states logically their sales will drop, either causing increased prices to the consumer to cover lost revenue or failure of the business itself. I have never seen in my life a scenario where increased taxes added anything to my wallet, fixed the pothole down the street, or solved the problem that it was implemented to fix. My $00.02. This is not political, it's common sense and Econ 101. We can agree to disagree, my friend. :Cool:Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Signing complete

Comment

I do know there are several online Ebay stores which already do this although their business is not in the same state I reside. I have complained several times w Ebay about this and they simply look the other way.

I would only conduct business w this type of sellers if its a discontinued difficult item to find and/or the price is much lower even w the unjustified sales tax.

Comment

Taxes as death are just a part of life.On the other side of the coin. Being in the retail hobby shop I can tell you that the "tax advantage" mail order businesses have hurts us. People wonder why small hobby shops are closing. Well this is one of the reasons. I get it you guys want to save money so do I but Lets even the playing field.

Mike
              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Working...
              X