X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would This Work?

I was researching some EDF units, looking particularly at the Freewing 70mm 12-Blade EDF 4S Power System w/ 2849-2850KV/ZWT Mantis 65A esc with 5A SBEC for another project, but found out it was an alternative propulsion system for the Freewing Yak-130 Red 70mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS. I ws wondering if it would also work in the Freewing 6S Hawk T1 “Red Arrow” 70mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS and/or Freewing F-104 Silver 70mm EDF Jet - ARF PLUS? I know that they won't perform at the same level as the PNP versions, but I have some 4s 3300s left from my FJ-2 Fury 15 70mm EDF Jet BNF .

Compare the flying weights of the planes in your post. The heavier the plane and less aerodynamic it is, the slower and more sluggish it will fly on 4s. This discussion of 4s vs 6s versions of the same plane has been talked about before and those who say they like to fly "scale" and have long, smooth runways tend to say 4s is plenty. However, a plane on 6s simply has more "grunt" and flies more easily, with better take off capabilities and speed. Just because it "can" fly on 4s doesn't mean you'll like it. I know my Yak 130, 70mm flies great on the stock 6s. It would be a "dog" on 4s and I would hate it. Same goes for my old F-104. It barely got off our grass field on 6s. On 4s, it would have simply been a lawn dart into the tall weeds at the end of the runway.

Comment

Probability says, the 4S fan will fly the airplane... but you won't like it.

Expect 30% less available power, but maybe 10% weight savings.

I stick 3S in some planes that call for 4S and they fly, but only in nearly dead calm wind condition
      (and I'm the guy who offered to fly a 60 inch Fokker Dr1 in winds 27 knots gusting to 38, varying 120 deg to 190 deg, {wind triangle moving about quite a bit} for a demo at an airshow, because I'd done it before.)
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        Compare the flying weights of the planes in your post. The heavier the plane and less aerodynamic it is, the slower and more sluggish it will fly on 4s. This discussion of 4s vs 6s versions of the same plane has been talked about before and those who say they like to fly "scale" and have long, smooth runways tend to say 4s is plenty. However, a plane on 6s simply has more "grunt" and flies more easily, with better take off capabilities and speed. Just because it "can" fly on 4s doesn't mean you'll like it. I know my Yak 130, 70mm flies great on the stock 6s. It would be a "dog" on 4s and I would hate it. Same goes for my old F-104. It barely got off our grass field on 6s. On 4s, it would have simply been a lawn dart into the tall weeds at the end of the runway.
        Well fortunately I've got about 150 of paved runway. I guess I'll have to see how it does in this Hawker Hunter I've been putting off.

Comment

My 180 power motor calls for 10s, can I use 12s without harm?

Comment

Would this a good choice for my 90mm F-22?
            Jetfan and Neu Motor 1515/2.5D/S 1650KV. Set up for 8S battery.
            Please let me know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X