Name:	IMG_2667.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	147411Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	147412
    I've been storing my planes on top of model boxes, and I've finally reached maximum capacity in the hangar (I mean garage). Had to get creative.

Spent $20 on PVC pipe and fittings and had plenty left over. Stores 4 planes in the space of 1. Going to build at least 1 more.

Very nice!:Cool:

Comment

You can make it Higher. ;) Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 1 111.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	147417
      AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
        You can make it Higher. ;) Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 1 111.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	147417
        Now that's what I'm talking about! Very nice! Gonna steal an idea here, if that's okay.

Comment

I can do one better, give you the dims.
          AMA 424553

Comment

Muchas Gracias!

Comment

Ha me too
              Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Cool. I don't like taking the wings off planes for storage. Would prefer to store them intact, but it takes up room and they often get dinged up. Trying to avoid that.

Comment

I'm considering building free standing pvc storage racks with foam covering on the support arms similar to those pictured above. I have 8 planes, all foamies with 50" - 63" wing spans. I can transport 2 at a time in my SUV, wings attached. I can build the racks to store the planes wings attached or fuselage and wings on separate support arms. Seems to me the are disadvantages to each. If storing wings attached, the weight of the plane is supported by the wings stressing the connectors. If storing fuselage and wings on separate supports, I'd have to continually screw on and remove the wings causing wear and tear. Maybe I'd be better off leaving them on the basement floor wings attached? What is your experience?

Comment

Hey there ICM, I think it depends on the actual models and your vehicle itself. I found that I could achieve different transport configurations depending on which models I was transporting that day. In general, I strive to transport planes intact, as that reduces having to plug in wings every time, which opens up the potential for an errant connection. I'd rather have the wings on --the "stressing the connectors" is less of an issue, in my experience. Blankets and or padding is typically sufficient to support a model sufficiently. And with your foamies at least, a little flex is natural. As long as you're not off-roading on the way to the flying field and bouncing everything around, I think you'll be fine.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I sometimes have to disassemble a model for transport. But it does stress those ribbon connectors over time. I like to leave the aircraft assembled if at all possible. Having a few extra ribbon connectors as backup is a prudent measure.
                      On my P-51 I had a ribbon connector fail after a hundred or so cycles. The L-39 is going to the field today as a single unit.
                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I've considered the suggestions and comments in this thread for storing my planes (8 foamies 48"- 60"). I can transport my planes wings on, so I'd prefer to store them the same way and avoid wear on the connectors, except for the Apprentice because of the rubber bands. My work area is set up in the basement which is cool (55-58 degrees) and dry (55-58% humidity). Since I have plenty of room, the plan is to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood finished on 1 side supported by 2 saw horses. By alternating orientation should be able to store, wings on, 4 planes on top and 4 underneath on the concrete floor. Tricycle gears will rest on the wheels and retracts will probably rest gear extended. Its cheap,easy and when I get more planes I'll do the same. Not the most space efficient plan, but there's room to fit at least 2 or 3 similar set ups. Anyone see any potential pitfalls?

Comment

I like your idea. I store a few planes similarly. Don't be afraid to store some of them using the wings to hold the weight too. I've stored most of my planes like AZflyer and RRhandy for the last 7-8 years and I've never had an issue. Really, the bottom line is to do what works for you and your space.

Comment

I have fit a FW Mig 21, FW A-6, CZ C150 (wings off, in large wing bag), FW BAE Hawk, FMS Yak 54, Eflight Convergence, XVert, ARRMA Big Rock, and a couple helis + flight box and a big Red Baron battery bag in a Jeep Compass with no rash to speak of. If you take your time and plan it out it's easy to bring lot's of planes to the field. Wouldn't try this with standard covered planes though. My biggest problem is remembering how I loaded it at the end of the day! The above load-out was for a fun-fly but my usual is at least 3 jets, 1 or 2 props, specialty (Conv/Xvert) and a heli or two.

I need to build a rack for storage though. I'm out of room in my shed and want to store in the house. Maybe a weekend project in my near future! Thanks for the rack ideas guys, keep em coming!!

Comment

Just had another thought to modify my plan to use 4x8 plywood sheet on saw horses to store planes. If I used concrete blocks at the 4 corners instead of 2 sawhorses, I could tier the plywood sheets one on top of another with about 20" in between simply by raising the height of each column of blocks whenever more space is needed.

Comment

I'm just about out of room for expansion in my Hangar. Either I need to buy a new house, off-load some planes or get a divorce, none of which are feasible (except maybe the divorce if you ask my wife and I buy another "stinking" plane). Just added an extra row to my rack so now I'm up to the ceiling, but I think I can squeeze another plane next to the new F4 Blue Angel. The only other problem I have is that I really can't afford another plane (said that 8 planes ago). Store most of the wings in wing bags, stacked in another rack with containers for all my spare parts.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

I store mine in my garage garage which is part of a 3 story building. It is long wide and high so they are hung from the wall and overhead. There are about 16 at last count but I am finishing 2 more. I stopped buying foam and now have reverted to balsa and a little larger model so it seems that I have a challenge to completely fill all the space

Comment

I have 2 bedrooms full and I my 32ft camper and this trailer.

Comment

Improved storage solution is but one way to solve the "out of room" issue. Another way is to thin out the fleet with fun and worthwhile "pursuits". May I suggest, flying FPV from cockpit of the planes. If not challenging enough, try mock dog fighting with it. And if that doesn't make room fast enough, try flying FPV close formations. I can attest that my attrition rate has gone up substantially after I started flying FPV and out of room is no longer an issue.;)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
                                      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
                                      Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

Bad weather over here, so working on the planes and how to store them all. Also what to do with all the boxes??? At least make a "Hall of fame"!

Comment

Working...
                                        X