Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS PT-17 STEARMAN 41"WING

All note:

Can't say enough good stuff regarding the subject. I'm delighted with how it flies. A little fast for me on landing - takes a while to bleed off speed, need to learn to slip it I guess. It's sturdy, need some wing tip skids to protect the foam.

It's getting its shares of battle scars for sure.

MotionRC Great supplier also.
    Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

RE: FMS PT-17 STEARMAN 41"WING

It is a great plane! Once I got my CG figured out (stupid mistake).

Also working on my landings, does seem to enjoy some pep on approach!

My favorite thing so far is how great the blue and yellow looks against the sky!

Comment

May need to remove some of that "grease" everybody talks about to slow her down. :) It's one tough, I mean TUFF airplane also. Knocked top wing off and it glued right back in to place. Sure shows up good in the sky with that paint scheme. Plenty of power; stalls, loops, rolls, inverted, and hammerheads are scale looking. Gonna put in a second skydiver up front to dump in a loop for the children (me).

Originally posted by SOB8604
      It is a great plane! Once I got my CG figured out (stupid mistake).

Also working on my landings, does seem to enjoy some pep on approach!

My favorite thing so far is how great the blue and yellow looks against the sky!
      Jimmy

Comment

Lost my pushrod for aileron during one of those wwwwhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuppppppssssssssssss moments. Came in wheels clipped a dirt clod and flipped upside down, which has a tendency to stop it quickly (on the ground that is). Damaged repaired and waiting on more pushrods.

Ordered two set of pushrods.
        Jimmy

Comment

Stearman got moved off dining room table (wife :( (for some reason she wants it moved to the shop) and now sitting in living room floor. Got pushrods (THANKS MOTIONRC) today and new one installed on aileron.

Ready! Ignition! Tighten belt - here I come gang :)
          Jimmy

Comment

Rain and winds are forecast to letup, so maybe a round of flights tomorrow. :)
            Jimmy

Comment

Flew thru 3 batteries yesterday at noon.

No wwwwhhhhhoooooppppsssssssssss
              Jimmy

Comment

What maneuver puts the most strain on a biplane?
                My goal is scale flying - note I said goal - sometimes it don't work out, but that's reality. I seldom fly at greater than 50% power.

Of course, I know not to dive from 500', full throttle, and yank back on elevator 50' off turf.

I love the FMS stearman, and have the desire to keep it intact in the hanger, not just as a memory.

Thanks
                Jimmy

Comment

I think they are just about the same as a monoplane really Skillet... At 50% throttle I think you'll find no issues with just about any maneuver.
                  Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
                    I think they are just about the same as a monoplane really Skillet... At 50% throttle I think you'll find no issues with just about any maneuver.
                    I agree, I put up a vid in the warbird video section of my flying from yesterday, It's hard to tell, but I was whipping it around pretty good at 75% or better throttle and it was just fine. And mine has more than a few struts held on by gorilla glue after accidents.

Comment

Great. Thanks all.

Mine has aged quite well and fast. :)
                      Jimmy

Comment

Will the Stearman do a tail over nose tumble. If so, how do you get in and out of the manuever?
                        Jimmy

Comment

I think you would need a far greater elevator surface with huge throws to do something like that.
                          Lauren

Comment

Are you talking about a Lomcovak maneuver? If so, you approch it slightly nose up, full throttle. Then input full down elevator and full left rudder. Neutral ailerons. Always use left rudder. It is dependent on prop torque. This requires high rates. I don't know if a Stearman is capable of performing this maneuver. It requires large control surfaces. This is extreemly stressful on full scale airframes and crank shafts, but models seem to be OK with it. Remember, 3 mistakes high! Good Luck!!!  Doc

Comment

Hey Guys,

I've been flying my PT-17 for a while now and while it does fly very nicely, I seem to be having what I think is an ESC issue. After just a couple of minutes flying, I notice a significant reduction in power, and I can hear the motor "pulsing" like there is a low battery warning. However, when I land, the battery still has plenty of charge left. Last time, I checked the ESC, and it was really hot, almost too hot to hold, so I am thinking it is overheating and reducing power by pulsing the motor to protect itself.

My question is, where are you guys mounting your ESC to keep it in the airflow, and have any of you experienced this? Is my ESC going bad, or do I simply need to relocate it? I did enlarge the opening on the plastic motor to allow more air to pass, but maybe I need to make some kind of a scoop to mount where the battery door is to direct more air inside the plane. Maybe just move the ESC really close to the battery door? I know Radio Shack sells small heat sinks, maybe get one of those for the ESC, or simply just upgrade the ESC to something like a 40 or 45 amp size? I'd really like to know how the rest of you have solved this, or ever experienced it.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks!

Comment

I'm not good when it comes to electronics. Wish I could help, but I've not had any issues. Close quarters for both esc/bat I agree.

Have the esc in first, then bat on top. 'Bout the only way I can get both in.

Never have flown WOT on a battery, not saying you have, but just saying.

Wish you well in diagnosis and hopefully no damage to plane or equipment awaits.

I'm using all stock electronics.

Originally posted by Loneflier
                                Hey Guys,

I've been flying my PT-17 for a while now and while it does fly very nicely, I seem to be having what I think is an ESC issue. After just a couple of minutes flying, I notice a significant reduction in power, and I can hear the motor "pulsing" like there is a low battery warning. However, when I land, the battery still has plenty of charge left. Last time, I checked the ESC, and it was really hot, almost too hot to hold, so I am thinking it is overheating and reducing power by pulsing the motor to protect itself.

My question is, where are you guys mounting your ESC to keep it in the airflow, and have any of you experienced this? Is my ESC going bad, or do I simply need to relocate it? I did enlarge the opening on the plastic motor to allow more air to pass, but maybe I need to make some kind of a scoop to mount where the battery door is to direct more air inside the plane. Maybe just move the ESC really close to the battery door? I know Radio Shack sells small heat sinks, maybe get one of those for the ESC, or simply just upgrade the ESC to something like a 40 or 45 amp size? I'd really like to know how the rest of you have solved this, or ever experienced it.

Thanks!
                                Jimmy

Comment

Hi, skillett. I'm curious. Have you tried the Lomcovac with your PT-17? Will it do it? Doc

Comment

I think I would upgrade!! That way you know it's going to be solid and you won't have to fly on pins and needles wondering when it's gonna drop out of the sky. ;)
                                    Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
                                      Hi, skillett. I'm curious. Have you tried the Lomcovac with your PT-17? Will it do it? Doc
                                      Haven't tried it yet. Still trying to get up past the three (3) mistakes altitude. :)

Kinda doubt it will, not much elevator movement.

Let you know when I build up enough courage!
                                      Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by skillett
                                        I'm not good when it comes to electronics.  Wish I could help, but I've not had any issues.  Close quarters for both esc/bat I agree.

Have the esc in first, then bat on top.  'Bout the only way I can get both in.  

Never have flown WOT on a battery, not saying you have, but just saying.  

Wish you well in diagnosis and hopefully no damage to plane or equipment awaits.

I'm using all stock electronics.

Originally posted by Loneflier
                                        Hey Guys,

Thanks!
                                        Thanks for the help. I think I am going to just try a new ESC and see if that fixes it. I sent a note to support at MRC and they seem to think it is a faulty ESC. I'll update once I get the new ESC and test fly it again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X