Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkzone F4U-1A Flap Control Horn

See attached pic. The flap control horn on my
    Parkzone F4U-1A has been wearing out and one of the little screws that hold it to the flap surface just spins and spins when trying to tighten it up with my screwdriver. The hole in the control horn piece has become widened over the years. Horizon Hobby does not list this part being available in the airplane manual. I bought a Du-bro "Nylon T-Style Control horn for $1.99 but it is a different length and shape than the one that came with the airplane. I suppose I could get creative and cut a small bit of foam away to make the Du-bro fit in the little slot. Just wondering what's the best way to handle this. Thank you.

There are a couple of options...................
    1. Since you've bought a Du-bro horn, why didn't you buy 2? With 2, you simply replace both. Now, you can have both of them the same length and make minor adjustments to "travel" and "sub-trim" on the Tx to approximate what you had before in terms of control surface deflection.
    2. What's on the other side of the screw? Is there another plastic piece that the screw threads into? It can't possible screw into just foam. In any case, remove the whole horn, use epoxy or FoamTac on the back of the horn and squeeze it down the screw hole. Reassemble and let cure. In fact, do the other horn as it will one day come loose as well.

Comment

Replace in pairs... problem solved.

Or just get a slightly larger diameter screw. I think the OEM is 2mm, #2 is just a little larger and should grab.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
      X