X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-24 flying characteristics?

Just got back in the hobby after a long stent of not flying. Been flying pretty much everyday at the farm. Now I'm not buying a new plane, right this minute but starting to do my research for when the time comes. Hopefully in the next month or so.

FPV in the nose turret would be the ticket

With that being said, the B24 is not technically a low wing (which I never have flew) so I'm curious does it fly as such?

It doesn't look like it can take grass very well, being the belly is so close to the ground?
    Planes
    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

If the grass is too long, you'll have a B-24 lawn mower. It's flies great, lands smoothly and easily. On my very rough ground, I find taking off is a little quirky as it tends to bounce off the ground early and then drop again before taking off. I think with the use of more UP elevator, that should not be a problem. It has plenty of power to do everything right.
    Here's a video of one of my early flights. You can see what I mean by the take off.

Comment

Thanks Viper! Would you say it flies more like a high wing or needs the speed in turn/etc like a low wing fighter? Just saw these went on sale and A10 is in back stock...oh help me lord. Need a beginner jet first., Panther perhaps.
      Planes
      -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
      -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Being a mid-wing, the B-24 is quite docile (although not as docile as a high wing trainer) but has the ability to also do some simple stunts like loops and rolls (not that people do that with these planes ;) ). It's fairly forgiving in turns but it's a big plane so you can't go too slow in a turn or it can stall. I've never had that problem but I'm used to giving a little gas when going into turns.
        Get these planes while they're on sale (if you must) but I would suggest not flying them till you are flawless with your starter plane. Even on sale, they aren't cheap. The A-10 is a big, heavy, but fast jet. Repairs won't be simple or cheap. A nice beginner jet - look at the 64mm hand launchers that Motion sells. They are cheap, fly nicely and can take a few lumps. You just gotta learn how to launch them properly - high throttle, a little UP elevator and they're up and away.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          Being a mid-wing, the B-24 is quite docile (although not as docile as a high wing trainer) but has the ability to also do some simple stunts like loops and rolls (not that people do that with these planes ;) ). It's fairly forgiving in turns but it's a big plane so you can't go too slow in a turn or it can stall. I've never had that problem but I'm used to giving a little gas when going into turns.
          Get these planes while they're on sale (if you must) but I would suggest not flying them till you are flawless with your starter plane. Even on sale, they aren't cheap. The A-10 is a big, heavy, but fast jet. Repairs won't be simple or cheap. A nice beginner jet - look at the 64mm hand launchers that Motion sells. They are cheap, fly nicely and can take a few lumps. You just gotta learn how to launch them properly - high throttle, a little UP elevator and they're up and away.
          Thanks! Would it be a bad idea to install a gryo to as a aid until get more flying time with new bird? Having the level wing feature could help in situations
          Planes

Comment

Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

Thanks! Would it be a bad idea to install a gryo to as a aid until get more flying time with new bird? Having the level wing feature could help in situations
            This B-24 doesn't really need a gyro. It's very stable. A gyro might help to a limited extent on take offs and landings but won't guarantee that something won't go badly.
            For your beginner jet, you can always invest in a HobbyEagle (~$20.00) but then, you're going to have to learn how to set that up. Set up wrong and it can be worse than not having one. It can also be moved to another plane once you get good at flying the one with it. I've found a cheap gyro on my hand launchers to help a lot when throwing them. That first toss can be quite exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              This B-24 doesn't really need a gyro. It's very stable. A gyro might help to a limited extent on take offs and landings but won't guarantee that something won't go badly.
              For your beginner jet, you can always invest in a HobbyEagle (~$20.00) but then, you're going to have to learn how to set that up. Set up wrong and it can be worse than not having one. It can also be moved to another plane once you get good at flying the one with it. I've found a cheap gyro on my hand launchers to help a lot when throwing them. That first toss can be quite exciting.

I like stable and really like "very stable"
              Right right, I was watching a video on how to set them up. Wrong setting, left roll and the gyro adds more left roll.....you're done. The mixing is what I'm more worried about, honestly.
              Planes

Comment

Working...
              X