X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful out their guys! Sometime, planes can explode

One day at the air field we were trying to get the Flightline Spitfire to fly correctly and its just been giving us grief. We are just about ready to give up on this plane, because it just won't fly correctly. Its crashed several times without us knowing why. On faster passes down the run way, it has just went into spiral of death. This plane has not been the best second hand purchase. In the video, was a bad day of flying and we wanted to see this plane fly. We already crashed several planes that day. So when it did not want to take off properly, we tried to hand lunch it. Before the hand lunch we did do a thrust check.

Why were there lead weights in the front of the plane? You said "for counter balance". Well, counter balance of what? Where were they exactly? Who put them there? After they were put there, was the whole assembly balanced? It may not have been pilot error, but it may have been owner error. Nobody I know would do a "thrust test" on the ground while standing over the engine or prop. We always stand behind the plane and ensure that nobody is in line with the rotational axis of the prop. Holding the plane like that to do a "thrust test" wasn't the best idea. Just curious how much RC experience do you guys have???

Comment

It's "launch" not "lunch". Although I am hungry right now....anyway I agree with the xviper. What were you guys thinking?
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Were those things in the spinner? Thats not the one you want...

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
          It's "launch" not "lunch". Although I am hungry right now....anyway I agree with the xviper. What were you guys thinking?
          Aside from "what they're thinking", it appears this poster has inundated this forum with threads that include YouTube videos in them. Sometimes, starting 2 and even 3 threads on the same topic. It's almost like he's spamming this site in hopes of getting more views on his YouTube channel. He has NEVER, as yet, replied or posted again in any of these threads or engaged anyone in a discussion or conversation. I, for one, will not be clicking on any of his video links again or any of his threads. He's has an ulterior motive. Just not sure what that might be.

Comment

Crashed Hellcat on the bench, crashed Spitfire in the video, and crashed Mustang talked about in the video. Anyone else see a pattern here?? :Thinking:

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
              Crashed Hellcat on the bench, crashed Spitfire in the video, and crashed Mustang talked about in the video. Anyone else see a pattern here?? :Thinking:
              They say "If you're not crashing, you're not having fun". I think he's having lots and lots of fun. Not so sure he should be doing "reviews", especially of planes that have had reviews already.

Comment

So a couple things stick out in my mind here.

First, he says the plane has crashed multiple times. I wonder how many blade strikes that prop had gone through before exploding.

Second, that is NOT the spinner that comes stock on the Spitfire. That's the spinner from the silver P-38. The Spitty has a faded yellow spinner with a 4-blade prop.

So I think one of two things happened. Either one or more prop strikes stressed a blade and/or the hub, or the spinner/blades couldn't handle the power of the stock Spitty motor. Definitely not a "plane issue" as stated in the video.

I think the PSA here is "What not to do at the flying field."
                Pat

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  They say "If you're not crashing, you're not having fun". I think he's having lots and lots of fun. Not so sure he should be doing "reviews", especially of planes that have had reviews already.
                  Hey must be one of those determine folks you spoke of :)
                  Planes
                  -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                  -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

I just watched the video. Why would anyone hold a plane by a wing tip and then have someone run-up the motor? I also noticed that the guy with the transmitter elected to stand quite a distance away from the guy holding the plane. Did he know something about the plane and was wondering if anything would happen when he advanced the throttle?
                    I can just see it: Transmitter guy says: "You hold on to the plane by the wingtip and stand waaaaay over there......, so if the plane explodes, I won't get hurt!!"
                    Then the plane holder guy says" "Duuuhh, yeah....., O K."
                    If so, "with friends like that...........," well, we all know how that old saying ends.
                    I agree with xviper when he said: "Holding the plane like that to do a "thrust test" wasn't the best idea. Just curious how much RC experience do you guys have???"
                    Their actions were certainly more than very foolish and no thought at all was given to safety.

Comment

:Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Straight-Face::Not-Talking:

Comment

These two comedians did not act right ... that's obviously ... I appeal to such behavior for the youngsters who come ... we just keep them informed correctly. It's not clear that somebody starts the model in this way :Angry: ...I actually know why ... that are made due to a cheap effect on YT. Thank you for your time.

Comment

The OP is to RC airplanes, what this guy is to electronics...

(Glad I don't work with this guy!)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                            The OP is to RC airplanes, what this guy is to electronics...

(Glad I don't work with this guy!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0idCh8AqhU
                            OMG..........LMFAO. Surprised he isn't dead from electrocution yet cause he certainly used those nine lives.:Scared:
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

OMG..........LMFAO. Surprised he isn't dead from electrocution yet cause he certainly used those nine lives.:Scared:
                              Yeah, he gets shocked more times in that short video, than I think I've been shocked in some 40 years of working full-time in electronics, including spending quite a few years working in a High Voltage test area.

Our Engineer put together a manual for the High Voltage area with this quote on the cover: "There are no old careless high voltage technicians."

Comment

Originally posted by magergamer View Post
                                ......Its crashed several times without us knowing why. On faster passes down the run way, it has just went into spiral of death. This plane has not been the best second hand purchase......
                                Please, check any second hand planes very thoroughly and do the same after a crash so something like this does not happen. Second hand planes are often a great deal but they need to be inspected. He said he crashed it multiple times. Again, planes need to be inspected for loose motors, motor mounts, bent prop shafts, or weakened or cracked prop blades or spinners after a crash. When a single weak blade breaks on a 3 or 4 blade setup, you instantly have a massively out of balance situation which will cause a blow up like this. A bent motor shaft or loose motor mount will cause an imbalance leading to the same blow up. He is NOT using the stock spinner and prop so I wonder if they changed it after a crash or the original owner did this. I suspect the aftermarket spinner and prop were not balanced before installation. An unbalanced spinner and prop will cause a blow out like this. It is also possible they used a thread locker such as Loctite on the plastic spinner, prop, or motor mount. Thread lockers like Loctite eat plastic causing cracking and weakness. This will also cause what they saw. Unfortunately, when it blows up, he appears to think it was caused by the counter weight. The weight is not the reason the front blew up. I cannot see how it could be ingested by the motor based on its position. It isn't installed within the motor cavity. The weight is only exposed AFTER the blow up but it is not the cause.

Videos like this can help show people what not to do. The vast majority of "what not to do" was not covered in the video (I.E. don't throttle up a plane when you are staring into the prop or are anywhere near the prop, make sure your aftermarket spinner and prop are balanced, don't use loctite on plastic, thoroughly check a plane after a crash before flying it again, etc). Safety first. I hope everyone, including magergamer can learn from this. again, please, check any second hand planes very thoroughly and do the same after a crash so something like this does not happen.

Comment

This guy seems to have gone dark after spamming the forum with his YouTube videos. I also noticed that with only 22 posts, he's got a full "like" bar. How does that happen? Can you "like" yourself enough times to fill that bar up? Or do you just get your buddy pilot and the camera man to come on here and hit "like" a bunch of times? :Silly: Nevertheless, this "YouTuber" should NOT be doing RC reviews.

Comment

Besides the annoying spam posting over the past 24 hours, there is so much wrong with the video posted. Crashed a few times, doesn't know why, and still decides to try again? Holding a plane by the wing tip and adding power? Nothing about the video adds up, especially when the spinner change was pointed out. This YouTuber should not be doing videos or purchase another RC plane, let alone make anymore RC plane videos. A better PSA is that if you crash a plane and don't know why, you should put it on the bench and work on it until you have found the root cause. Fix the issue, recheck everything, replace anything suspect, test, retest, and then think about flying. Why would continually try to fly a crashed plane that you don't understand?

Comment

Magergamer, Just caught the vid. Rookie moves, lad. You're better than this, I am certain. Though thanks for the PSA. Best, Elbee
                                      Last edited by Elbee; Nov 21, 2018, 06:18 PM. Reason: Added something gracious and bit less unforgiving, I hope.
                                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Most likely, he's spamming forums like this to boost his YouTube viewing stats. To achieve a status where you can actually get paid for your videos on YouTube, you must reach a certain number of viewers.

Most of us here, I think, post our videos just so that they're easier to share with friends that will enjoy watching them, rather than hoping for a large audience. We don't spam our links all over the place.

The best way, of course, to increase viewership, is to make videos that people WANT to see, and your reputation spreads by folks sharing your videos, rather than by you spamming the link everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                        X