X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION ALL DYNAM WACO OWNERS

Hey all just wanted to pass on something I found . I just got in the parts to fix my Waco from the motor pulling out . The screws for mounting motor mount to motor board are too short on one side . The board has the angle built in which is good but on the two highest sides the screws never catch the nut that in the plastic !!I think this why I lost my motor , cross member , prop .

Please anyone who has one of these planes check your screws .

Hope this helps and prevents what happened to me

Bryan
    But Crashing is Landing

RE: ATTENTION ALL DYNAM WACO OWNERS

Greetings Hippie,

Thanks for the insight.....

This is definitely something to look into early.

Bill L.
    In Okla.

Comment

Thanks Hippie,
      Since I have not started on mine yet, I will add that info to my "mod/improv. list to check. These kinds of tips/info really benefit all the users who, not-knowingly, could have an issue. Regards...

Denny
      *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
      *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

I have over 70 flights on my Waco and I check the motor each time before i fly and and have not noticed any looseness yet.

Comment

Greetings Roofmann,

The Dynam Waco is a very nice plane/flyer.

Bill L.
          In Okla.

Comment

Just built mine and I checked the screws and all seemed fine. I did locktite the metal to metal ones.

Comment

Can any one give some insight to how you cut the foam to replace the mount?
              Thanks.

Comment

I wish I’d seen this before the maiden flight. The one thing I did not check (those black bolts are hidden behind the motor) got me. The motor became loose from the attachments and twisted on itself, ruining the wires and the ESC. The construction quality on my Dynam Waco was appalling. Besides the usual bent and controls surfaces due to shipping, I encountered a myriad of other challenges, such as broken clevises, wing spars not glued, parts did not match, overspray, etc.. It seems that there is NO QUALITY ASSURANCE at all! I had to order a new motor and ESC. After 20 days I am still waiting on the motor replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by mmari01 View Post
                  I wish I’d seen this before the maiden flight. The one thing I did not check (those black bolts are hidden behind the motor) got me. The motor became loose from the attachments and twisted on itself, ruining the wires and the ESC. The construction quality on my Dynam Waco was appalling. Besides the usual bent and controls surfaces due to shipping, I encountered a myriad of other challenges, such as broken clevises, wing spars not glued, parts did not match, overspray, etc.. It seems that there is NO QUALITY ASSURANCE at all! I had to order a new motor and ESC. After 20 days I am still waiting on the motor replacement.
                  Those bolts vibrating loose is a common Dynam issue.
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I have come up with an answer to my question posted earlier on replacing the motor board. A long razor knife to spilt the fuselage in half from the nose back worked great.
                    A second issue i discovered was how bad the props are out of balance. I spent a couple of hrs balancing them and was amazed at how big of a difference it made on the smoothness of full power operation it made, hopefully no more shaking bolts loose in the motor.

Comment

I gave up on the Dynam prop and I am using either an Apc 13x6 or 13x8 thin electric prop both work significantly better than the stock prop.

Comment

I did as well, I use a master aircrew 13x6 wood prop balanced and it works great, no more shaking and rough vibrations.

Comment

Xoar make nice looking scale wood props
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                            Xoar make nice looking scale wood props
                            I use Xoar props on mine. They arrive perfectly balanced. So there's no need to mess with them.

Comment

Dynam WACO. Be sure to check the wheel collar that is supposed to lock the ELEVATOR push rods together, After checking why mine hit the snow, found there is supposed to be 2 set screws in the collar, mine had one and vibrating loose, caused me to have extra set of ailerons. My fault, didn't check before flight. Always these little things that cause the most problem and damage. Just a suggestion to be sure to check the collar on the WACO elevator collar. K.J. Bird

Comment

[QUOTE=mmari01;n213997]I wish I’d seen this before the maiden flight. The one thing I did not check (those black bolts are hidden behind the motor) got me. The motor became loose from the attachments and twisted on itself, ruining the wires and the ESC. The construction quality on my Dynum Waco was appalling. Besides the usual bent and controls surfaces due to shipping, I encountered a myriad of other challenges, such as broken clevises, wing spars not glued, parts did not match, overspray, etc.. It seems that there is NO QUALITY ASSURANCE at all! I had to order a new motor and ESC. After 20 days I am still waiting on the motor replacement. [/QU
                                Appalling Quality Control is an understatement Not only all the above but add these to the list I have two a yellow and the red Waco. The wheel axles were smaller than the hole for the axle had to make bushing for both, both the ESC's were hook up wrong both ran the props the wrong rotation the wing tip strope light are incorrectly installed (green left red right had to switch these on both planes. When checking the elev. foam hinge they broke off replaced with pinned hinges on both planes and I could go on and on, Warped wing halfs warped rudder and vertical fin, warped horizontal fin and elev halfs on both planes I spent almost 25 hrs of assembly and repair on these two low quality Dynum Wacos once done the look good and the flight careristics are good at best.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	dynum.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	233754

Comment

Went out today and flew mine after all the extra work and all the things that needed to be checked and redone it actually fly's fairly mice here is the third flight with the 2 axes stability on
                                  Third flight with the 6 channel receiver with stability in this Bi plane with the gyro stability off in

Comment

We went out and flew these today with a very good friend of mine. Great flying birds put they took a lot of changes before they were ready. Hate the soft foam and poor quality put they fly nice, very scale
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	dj.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	234726

Comment

There is a very long thread in Park Flyer forum on RC Groups about the Dynam WACO with fixits and tips. Mine is all but worn out, still flies fine. I replaced the Detrum Speed control with a known good one with switching BEC. One aileron servo was dead, replaced it with HS-55.The latest versions from Bitgo and Grayson's may have better speed controls. It is wise to check all magnet latches to make sure they hold securely. Use blue locktite on metal screw and nuts, no locktite on plastic parts. Expecting perfection in cheap Dynam and other foamies is not realistic.Dynam airframes are great flyers, if no warps. People still have problems with Dynam retracts, WACO has none, good!

Comment

Originally posted by mmari01 View Post
                                        Update from my Sept 2019 post:

Finally got the parts and got it all sorted out. The Waco is still going strong after 100+ flights and 1 1/2 years later. Protected the airframe by brushing three coats of Gloss Polyurethane and it still looks like new. Replaced the prop with a 13X6 Master Airscrew black e-prop. Docile, predictable flyer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X