X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Flite Pitts S1-S

I recently had the opportunity to assemble the new E-Flite Pitts S-S Special. I've always loved the Pitts, both as a model and the full size. In fact it one of my all-time favorite aircraft. I know it's very dated by today's standards of aerobatic aircraft, but it does have that something SPECIAL.

The quality of the E-Flite model is excellent and I couldn't fault the quality of the finish on the foam. The manufacturers seem to put more work into the models and leaving less for the pilot/ builder to do, and this is evident by the number of parts count in the box. This little model can be littery ready to fly in a matter of minutes. However, I did encounter a small problem, nothing I couldn't overcome, but a problem none the less. The bottom wing is mounted to the fuselage and is held in place with spring clips, the sort of thing that is used to secure RC car bodies to the chassis. The interplane struts are held in place to the wings with a pin about 2" long, one at the top and another at the bottom. The strut fits over two mounting points on the top surface of the bottom wing and the bottom surface of the top wing. The pin slides through a small hole in the front of the strut and through the holes in the mounting points on the wing. The problem I encountered was that none of the holes lined up. I Drilled out the holes in the mounting points and the strut and everything fitted together correctly. The top wing is secured in exactly the same way as the bottom wing, and again I had to drill out the mounting point so the pin would slide into place. I used a 1/16" drill. I have informed Horizon Hobby of the issue.

Thin strips of carbon fiber rod are supplied to use a dummy flying wires and these are secured in place with a spot of CA. Please note, if you fit the flying wires you will not be able to remove the wings.

The Horizontal stabilizer is glued to the fuselage at the recessed point in the rear of the fuselage using CA glue. The elevator halves slot together one inside the other as the horizontal stabilizer is assembled to the fuselage. The landing gear is simply attached to the bottom of the fuselage with 3 countersunk Allen headed screws.

All that is left to do at this point is to attach the propeller and balance the model. The battery sits on a plastic tray inside the fuselage. The tray has been designed to slide forward and backward to remove and install the battery. A simple operation that seems to work well. The model has been designed to fly on either a 3cell or 4 cell battery. I intend to try both as well as the AS3X system. To date, I have not flown the model because of either the weather or time. I will report on the flying characteristics in due course.

Martin.

I've been having fun with this model. On 4s it has seemingly endless power and vertical. The as3x makes it fly nice and I have been using it to practice aerobatic maneuvers and have really been loving it.

Comment

Yea I am a sucker for a pitts I love them. just remember to fly them in for a landing. How is that one on crosswinds my Christian eagle hanger 9 hats them and the fms 1400 as well.

Comment

This Pitts flies easy and so stable. But yes, the landings are a handful. I've been gradually increasing my elevator low rates as a trial and error effort to get more elevator authority for the landings. My low rate started at 70% & 30% expo and then I had to increase it to 75%, then 80 and now at 85% with 30%expo. I still need more elevator authority so I will now reduce expo to say 20%.

Comment

Flew mine again today on low rates and had to do just the same with the elevator. Its such a blast to flying and quite the pucker factor on landing. Havent yet flown it on 4s, hopefully get another nice day soon to try it.

Comment

I just added wing-tip skids under the lower wing along with Hobby Coat for scrape resistence when she ground loops. Yes pucker factor on landings.

Comment

Not a bad idea, i have some clear lexan with double sided tape that came with another model for belly landings. May have to trim some up for that reason. I dont have much trouble with ground loops on grass, but being winter in ohio, the parks havent mowed for months, and its to tall now. Its squirrely on pavement. But just keeps the reflexes sharp.

Comment

@ CaptAmerica,

The color scheme on your Pitts is very similar to one that appeared in a movie back in the early 80s Called "Cloud Dancer". I don't know if you saw it or not.

Martin.

Comment

Watched it a 100 times, and have it on dvd. My UMX pitts has the same scheme, taken from the movie.

Comment

Flew mine several times again today, getting more comfortable with it.

Comment

A bit more throttle and hold her off in the landing flare???

Comment

Yeah it definitely needs to be landed under power. I give it a few clicks of nose up trim and come in at just over quarter throttle and chop power just before touch down.

Comment

I will give that a shot next flight.

Comment

The problem I run into is that I fly off a basketball court in the local park. The Pitts eats up alot of runway fast on landing with a long roll out. Wasnt bad this fall when I on the grass . I have to get the approach just right to touch down right on the edge, otherwise its a go around. Biggest thing is be ready on the rudder, have to stay ahead of it otherwise it ground loops.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptAmerica View Post
                              The problem I run into is that I fly off a basketball court in the local park. The Pitts eats up alot of runway fast on landing with a long roll out. Wasnt bad this fall when I on the grass. I have to get the approach just right to touch down right on the edge, otherwise its a go around. Biggest thing is be ready on the rudder, have to stay ahead of it otherwise it ground loops.
                              She can definitely be squirrely on the ground for sure, but that's pretty much a Pitts problem by nature of the beast. But she rudder turns really well at slow speeds. The more I fly this one, the more I love it simply because of the versatility. Does your basketball court have fences around it?

Comment

No fences, and plenty of open space to either side for a long final. When the Pitts is coming in, it covers that distance in a hurry. My Dad owned a S1C and a S1S, and an Acrosport, and many others say the same. Landing a Pitts is like riding a tricycle backwards at 100mph. Get behind it and it will eat you. I need to work on a slightly nose high approach under power to get it slowed down. All apart of the learning curve.

Comment

On my 2nd Pitts and after a good many flights , I can grease just about every landing now. With a slight nose up attitude and alittle extra power, it settles right in.

Comment

Just picked one of these up from a buddy. I too love the Pitts. Some of the most fun I've had in RC flying was with my FMS 1400mm Pitts, what a blast. Painted it in the Oracle scheme, looked fantastic on a nice blue sky day...All that was missing was smoke!

I got this one used for $50 bucks and already getting my money's worth. The AS3X is a nice added touch. I've only flown her so far on 3S but I definitely want to fly with 4S as I would enjoy the unlimited vertical and added boost.

My co-pilot Baylee loves to chase her too so a win-win, lol.

My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I want to build such a plane out of foam

Comment

Got the new E-flite UMX Pitts today. Looks cool. I got a chance to fly the V1 a couple of years ago. But missed the sale. I'm using a 400mah 2s eflite battery (24g) in it. Pushed all the way to the front. Still need about 6g of weight in the nose to balance CG.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-24 at 21-49-36 Photo - Google Photos.png
Views:	283
Size:	806.0 KB
ID:	340773

Comment

Working...
                                        X