X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piper PA-20 Pacer

Time to cash in the points, and grabbed another Piper classic.
    PA-20 Pacer from eFlite - even had 10% off card from the local rep I got at a recent event, so I think the electronics going in will amount to more than the cost of the plane.
    Can’t believe no one on here has mentioned one. I’ve had my eye on this beauty since I was considering my first model purchase last year. Have a few Hitec servos, an eFlite Park 480 and Power 10 laying around. Simple 40 amp ESC should do nice. Yeah, she’ll have flaps.

Finally got around to opening this one to see how much room I had for motor and battery- fuselage had broken vertical stabilizer.:Crying:
    Box had no damage or even a single dinged corner, but I noticed the plastic wrap was really tight around the tail. I think someone got a bit too firm during packaging.
    CS said no problem, new fuselage on the way.
    So let’s just say my experience with all the hobby CS departments has been stellar, but have only needed them on rare occasions.
    Better yet, I have plenty of room for the Motor and battery combo and everything ink the kit is just super. Should turn out real fine. Stay tuned.;)

Comment

New fuselage was received and no damage, the Electra is done and flying well, so time to get this airplane underway. Most everything I like so far, except the landing gear frame is held with plastic straps and sits about 1/16 above the surface - the straps would bend around the wire frame. Nope, will make some grooves in 3/16” aluminum and that should work. Click image for larger version

Name:	BF46674E-97FC-4B45-A172-837A27D9D178.jpeg
Views:	701
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	208815

Comment

Under the heading of things that the eFlite could have done better. The seat for the gear wire should have been deeper, but I suspected no one allowed for the thickness of the powder coating, and plastic straps really make for a cheesy looking install.
        Let’s try this instead.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	419349CD-D5F8-44CE-AA33-99F1A792292D.jpeg
Views:	723
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	208921Click image for larger version

Name:	0374BF74-21AA-45ED-A49D-2192FADF7D97.jpeg
Views:	727
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	208922Click image for larger version

Name:	C165267E-9AE3-4B7E-9A6D-AD9E3C4BF076.jpeg
Views:	650
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	208923Click image for larger version

Name:	AF6AF869-C4C5-4B2B-B548-849B9A0A1084.jpeg
Views:	669
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	208924

Comment

A few things I did like worth mentioning.
          While the covering is a bit loose, I expect that. A little time with the iron and heat gun and I get a great finish.
          The manual shows a 4 or 5 step process for locating the holes and cuts for brackets and axle for the wheel pants - they were predrilled! Literally 5 minutes and some Loctite. That was a huge work reduction and eliminated a lot of potential for error. I’ve read some of the reviews from some “experienced 25 year” guys and now I ask “how did you really think you knew what you were doing?”
          Next some more things that aren’t going the way they should, the servos for ailerons and flaps. Good design idea, but my Futaba or Spektrum servos put the Z-bend into the side of pocket. I could probably keep trying different servos until I get one that clears. Right size but not the specified brand. I bet the Hitec 55 would work also, but I am out of them. I’ll have to make a small relief cut for clearance, then cover with some scrap monocote.
          The motor mount for the Turnigy SK3 1050 is just about 2 mm off from EFlite’s Power 10. Nothing a Dremel can’t modify.
          The wheel hubs were some color of ugly baby food closer to an exit hue, for my taste. So I got out the enamel and took care of that.
          The landing gear, well, it really should have threaded fastener and retainer - not wood screws. K, the structural considerations do not lend themselves to easily access the inside in order to apply nuts and washers. But it is happening, 2mm about 3/4 “ works with Loctite also.
          I’ll begin instal of the fuselage servos later today and will see how that works out.
          I get a few more pictures of the above items and post them later.

Comment

Got a few photos. Motor mount was fairly easy - just ellipsed the holes 1.5mm toward center.
            Had to wire wheel the axle and remove the powder coating as collars wouldn’t fit.

Name:	3953B5C9-5EAE-4DA6-AE5A-AB8113E8F4DE.jpeg
Views:	704
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	209196Click image for larger version

Name:	EDA62CCD-6F1B-47F6-A8FE-57740EB1F5FE.jpeg
Views:	689
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	209195Click image for larger version

Name:	D248963E-0C56-4CCD-800E-3F04C11D6682.jpeg
Views:	658
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	209194Click image for larger version

Name:	EA46E8A0-8F66-4DFE-AADA-CF3EE1FBABC6.jpeg
Views:	775
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	209193 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Really cool! Nice job...

Comment

Name:	91F75ED6-1A8C-4126-8B7D-9E15E631BC04.jpeg
Views:	681
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	209950Click image for larger version

Name:	1D49B041-DA65-4A05-8BD3-78869B0A6876.jpeg
Views:	669
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	209951Click image for larger version

Name:	1A328203-CCD0-45EC-ABA7-392F38C8BA56.jpeg
Views:	644
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	209952Click image for larger version

Name:	9367BF02-A503-42AA-A3A7-29FC1D000E1D.jpeg
Views:	770
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	209949 Getting closer.

Comment

Beautiful plane F-22, nice work.

Comment

About all that is left are the windshield struts, windshield itself, windows, and drill the cowl screws.I have powered it up and made the initial control settings in the Transmitter. Have not set the throws yet or checked the CG location. Overall, the kit is not for the beginner, or folks that don’t read and follow instructions well. A few things require a little ‘massaging’, like the wing struts, wheel pants and servo clearances - both with regard to location and movement. A dry fit of the windshield and I would give it a 10. Absolute perfect forming around the cowl, fuselage and wing leading edge. I only hope the windows fit similarly well. Had hoped to maiden this Saturday, but not likely and the wind forecast for Sunday is less than ideal for the morning.
                    I will add a bit more detail on the control throw adjustments when I get her ready to maiden, along with preflight photos and the video.

Comment

Time for the balance set up. Maybe some of this will help a few of you that are uncertain or would like more precise CG locations. She will fly just like this, minus the tape with a 3200 mAh battery as far forward as I can tie it down securely.
                      Mark the CG range on upper and lower wing. For this model, 2” - 2 3/8”, hence the 2 circle centerline marks on underside. I use fine point Sharpies, which can be wiped clean with alcohol. On this one I marked only the forward limit on the upper wing.
                      While holding the model upright, with my fingers at the forward limit I pick it up and find it is only slightly tail heavy. It did not tend to fall off my fingers at all - it just sat tail low. So now I put it on the jig and check it out inverted, at the aft limit now you can see it is resting on the tail.
                      Using a mixing cup and steel shot I rest the cup at the position where the weight will be secured inside the hull. I added shot until the tail gets really light, or the nose wants to dip if I move the cup forward, 1/2 the distance of the CG range. In this case about 1/8” forward and the nose goes down. Move it back 1/8” and the tail is just barely resting on the foam.
                      I’ll mix the steel shot with about 1/2 TBS epoxy and pour into fingers of a latex glove or just pour it into a compartment if convenient location inside the nose. I’ve never had to add weight to the tail.
                      I made the balance jig from scrap MDF and cut a typical upper wing profile with the band saw, the put foam tape as a cushion. The jig serves to steady wings during the build using bean bags filled with steel shot. They can actually be clamped to a 1/4 steel or aluminum rod for additional security and or stability.
                      And if you’re wondering the weight required to meet the CG requirements 6.2 oz. That’s a lot! So next you check an airplane on your fingers and think “close enough”, might want to just eliminate that error instead of combine it with the question of control adjustments.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Name:	5798EF19-652A-4D97-9859-77380EA8E0DD.jpeg
Views:	613
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	210796Click image for larger version

Name:	395DF61D-34A5-4442-B904-B0C5A2983839.jpeg
Views:	677
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	210795 While not for flight, I made up a decent scale looking prop.

Comment

I had one for a few years. It flies great but it isn't a Cub. If you slow it down too much it will fall out of the sky. The flaps work great and let you land it at a reasonable speed. I also had to strengthen up the elevator joiner with some carbon strips. The only reason I got rid of it is another member in my club kept asking me if I was going to sell it and I finally let it go. I myself put about 75 flights on it and always enjoyed flying it scale-like. One thing it does do like a Cub is ground loop pretty easy. Advance the throttle slowly on take-off and feed in right rudder for that scale take-off. It does look pretty in the air. I almost bought another one but now I like flying the bigger stuff.

Comment

She has a bit of wingtip warp, but nothing the heat gun won’t take care of. Up and down in one piece. Click image for larger version

Name:	D3A782FA-845B-4925-A848-8FEF18342112.jpeg
Views:	710
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	211296

Comment

Congrats!!! Looks like old school, only no slime to wipe off!!!! No Windex!!! No paper towels.... She looks great! Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                                Congrats!!! Looks like old school, only no slime to wipe off!!!! No Windex!!! No paper towels.... She looks great! Jerry
                                Thanks Jerry. was a good day for maiden flights mostly because of the huge turnout to see this Click image for larger version

Name:	FC647B22-FF81-4BA8-8BFB-2BC94ADB9C1B.jpeg
Views:	648
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	211364

Comment

Pacer looks great. Congrats!

Comment

I got 2 flights on it this morning- my first ones on the sticks. She is a squirrel on the runway during takeoff and needs quite a bit of power to get airborne, flaps helped a lot. I did get the ‘left turning tendencies resolved’ while normal during application of power it need all the right aileron trim in level flight on the first 2 flights. Let’s Just say the airframe is not straight / symmetrical. So I had to make some off center adjustments to counter the negative aspects.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice Trainer! I flew one of these quite a bit in my teens. Great planes. Probably the most forgiving tail drager I ever flew. I loved this plane. I would think the model would have to retain some of these qualities.

Woody

Comment

Just a quick update, the tailwheel was out of round and too firm - no / little traction for steering. Swapped with Sullivan 1/2” aluminum with rubber and now is quiet and steers nice. Also swapped foam wheels for a low bounce treaded tire and much better ground handling- but she is stil squirrelly on takeoff, however less so.
                                        Landings are a breeze with full flaps and the mix has no pitch change when added right to full - even takes off nice with full flaps which is not something I would normally even attempt.

Comment

Working...
                                        X