X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap the Power System - 1600 FL Spitfire and the 1600 FL Corsair

Anyone have any thoughts about the implications of swapping the power systems in the Flightline 1600mm Corsair and Spitfire?

The Corsair comes with a 340 kv motor, but the Spitfire has a 390 kv motor.

I love both planes, but wish the Corsair had more top end speed. Thinking the higher kv motor would give me that, but didn't want to do something stupid before throwing it out there for feedback. The prop on the Corsair is HUGE, and wondering if that's going to overpower the ESC if I put the higher kv motor in there.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

So AZ, unless you have power measurement equipment, it is not a very good idea.
    Most folks don't realize that power coefficient factors are not a linear matter.
    Anytime the kV of the motor or the prop diam/pitch/blade count changes the power factors are changed exponentially whereas motors or ESC's go up in smoke for those that are not knowledgeable in the scheme of electric power.
    The Corsair is turning a 18x12x3 prop using the 340kV motor whereas the Spitfire is turning a 16x10x4 prop on 390kV motor.
    Even though the Corsair prop is a 3 blade it is 2 inches larger in diameter & pitch.
    The ol' rule of thumb was increase diameter by 1 and decrease pitch by one generally was/is a safe wash in power demands for a motors stock prop.
    In the case of using the Corsair prop with the Spitty motor, without even running the numbers on a power calculator (ie...eCALC) I would put a strong bet on the song "Who let the smoke out" LOL:Silly:
    If you are going to be venturing into power mods, I would strongly recommend adding this power meter as an essential support tool.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks for the info and reply, OV10. That's what I was looking for. My Spit is a whole lot faster than the Corsair, but that Corsair prop is HUGE and sounds even bigger.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X