Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse Noorduyn Norseman 1840mm ARF Discussion Thread

Product page: https://www.motionrc.com/products/bl...n-norseman-arf

The Noorduyn Norseman is a Canadian transport aircraft for up to 9 passengers developed by Robert Noorduyn. This prototypical replica of the original convinces with great flight characteristics and fantastic detail solutions.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:8.5 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can be operated using an electric power system or with an internal combustion engine about 10cc displacement.

Features:
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight and strong laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Covered in genuine Oracover film
    • Easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches
    • Comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplifying transportation and assembly.
    • Fiberglass cowl and landing gear covers/pants
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    • Fully illustrated instruction manual included and available for download (see tab above)
    Includes:
    • Black Horse Noorduyn Norseman 1840mm (72.4") Wingspan - ARF
    Requires (Electric):Requires (Gas):
    • Engine: 9cc Gas / .60ci Nitro. NGH GT-9 recommended
    • Gas Propeller: 11x6 - 12x6 APC recommended
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Norseman updated.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	194504
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

This is the plane in which Glen Miller was in flying from London to Paris, when it disappeared over the English Channel (in WWII livery of course). The theory to its disappearance is that a returning bomber jettisoned its unused bombs over the Channel, which was SOP when returning from a mission, and one struck the Nooduyn. The tail gunner reported seeing a flash as the bombs fell.

Comment

The predecessor to the DHC-2 Beaver ??? Both Noorduyn and DeHavilland are Canadian manufactures.
      The C-64(also known as) Norseman was produced from 35-59 and the Beaver from 47-67
      Very interesting that the coincidental design was produced by DeHavilland ;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

This aircraft is very stout and a fine looking model as the red/black is a good combo. There is excellent access( 2 hatches) with plenty to room to work with even the biggest hands. The manual was a bit confusing in spots and the hardware provided does not always match up but I was able to improvise. The fit and finish is first rate and the plane is very scale. I mounted a 100 amp ESC (a bit overkill) to the bottom of the engine mount box due to the cowling clearance issues and to improve the overall cooling of this device.I did the following mods/upgrades:
        1. Painted the engine cowl,wing braces and gear struts -yellow-
        2. Used an 8 channel Receiver to allow for each control surface to be independent
        3. Added a 2" X 4" metal vent behind the bottom hatch to improve battery cooling
        4. Replaced all plastic clevises with Dubro metal ones
        5. Pinned all the hinges
        6. The cockpit canopy was both glued and screwed in place
        7. Did not apply any of the supplied decals
        8. Replace stock landing gear with Dubro 3.5 inch tires

Snake

Comment

Just got this plane after seeing it "out of stock" for a long time. Not sure why this doesn't seem very popular (given the lack of comments here) but the history of the full scale plane alone is enough for me to want it.

The model is well done, my only complaints being the non-scale tailwheel and crappy faux radial built into the cowl.

Comment

Is it easy to remove the Oracover and replace it with a military colour scheme?

Comment

It's easy if you know how, I guess...

Comment

Well, the Norseman is 100% complete and it looks great! I added a Sense-Air sound system and it should make for quite an attraction at the airfield.

A few general comments about the build:

- The measurements for placing the wing struts on the wings were way off - the measurements don't add up. I ended up relocating all four attachment points so they would meet up with the connection point on the LG.

- Speaking of the landing gear - Please have the openings for the strut attachment piece in the fiberglass fairing pre-cut - I made a mess of mine.

- The faux radial in the cowl is horrible - it should be included as a separate piece rather than formed as part of the cowl. And, 7-cylinders instead of the 9 found on the full scale?

- Plastic clevises - yuk. Replaced with metal ones, thank you.

- Fiberglass control horns all had to be re-drilled

- I used the provided tailwheel assembly, but why not include a scale set-up like the Black Horse Fairchild 24 (which I also have)?

- I know they're probably cheaper, but I hate the look of the plastic servo covers.

- I had to move the 6S 4000 battery significantly to the rear to balance, calling for some surgery and re-bracing at the rear of the battery area. If the crosspiece could be moved up 1/2", there would be plenty of clearance.

- The supplied 5mm bolts for the wheels were too short to use with the supplied wheels. I ended up replacing them with some Dubro 3.5" treaded wheels that seem closer to scale, so it didn't really matter. They should provide a little more "cushioning" since the LG have no play whatsoever. It would have been great if some oleos could be attached to the bottom of the LG, but probably too involved for this size model.

I don't want to come across as all negative, even though it sounds that way. I've done enough ARFs (around 60 or so) to know they all need some tweaking here and there. It's a fantastic looking model that could be improved in a few areas.

Still highly recommended! Report on the maiden to follow soon....

Comment

Nice USMA-82 for the write up. Post up some pictures at the field of her all done. Looking forward to the maiden report

Comment

Just purchased, waiting on delivery. This will be my first Blackhorse model. Hopefully the quality lives up to the reviews.

Comment

Just purchased, waiting on delivery. This will be my first Blackhorse model. Hopefully the quality lives up to the reviews. just received notice of delivery, scheduled for Monday March 13th.

Comment

Has anyone here actually flown this aircraft yet? I'm just wondering how it handled. I'm using an O.S. .61 engine and wondered if anyone is using a glow engine instead of an electric motor.

Comment

I bought this model about 8 months ago, just now getting to building, and I cannot hang with the tail wheel assembly. I purchased from motionrc a replacement tail wheel assembly from a Blackhorse Fairchild model 24 argus, going to open up the lower side of the fuselage and make a pocket to mount the tail wheel and a servo in there to operate with a Y to the rudder. The rudder would take the full weight imposed upon landing and ground taxi, with original the rudder would take the brunt of a not so nice landing, not good on hinges. but so far so good, waiting on the part to continue.

Comment

YEAHHHH.....Finished building, Maiden in the morning, 12-27-2023, replacing the tailwheel assembly was the right thing to do, I used the tailwheel assembly from a Blackhorse Fairchild Model 24 Argus, I opened up a 2 1/2" X 4" slot, out of lightweight 1/8" plywood I built a small box to house the tailwheel assembly and a standard servo, slipped the box in and I am leaving it open, hooked up servo with a "Y" harness and good to go. The assembly box added weight to the tail of the plane, I am running on 6s for the maiden, then on 8s after that, my esc goes from 3s-8s. I jammed the 6s battery all the way forward to the firewall to balance.

Comment

Working...
                            X