X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pima Air and Space Museum Photos

I have a membership to the Pima Air and Space Museum here in Tucson, and it's just a short detour on the way home from work. If anyone wants any detail photos of any of the aircraft they have on display, just let me know, and I'll stop by with the camera. The list of display aircraft can be found on the webpage below.

Pima benefits from its close proximity to AMARC (aka "The Boneyard") at Davis-Monthan AFB, and a number of unique aircraft from AMARC's storage are on loan to the museum. If you're traveling through Tucson any time, the museum is well worth a visit, and bus tours of the AMARC facility are purchased and leave from the museum grounds.
    Learn and explore pictures of our extensive collection of aircraft. An exciting preview of the types of aircraft found at the Pima Air & Space museum!

Thanks for that! I spent 2 days there last year and plan to do so again this winter. If your an aviation fan of any sort and of any platform, this is a MUST see!! The museum is one of, if not the best I have ever seen. The main reason I went was to see the LC-130's I maintained in the Navy back in the mid and late 90's. Luckily, they were all close to the road enough to see and I admit, I got pretty emotional seeing them again. Words cannot describe seeing that many aircraft in one place. Not to mention the incredibly rare planes both in the boneyard and the museum.

If you do plan a trip there, I highly recommend taking 2 full days, although 1.5 is probably enough to see all of the museum and take the boneyard tour. Here's another great video that showcases a few individual aircraft.

It’s one of the most recognizable landmarks in Tucson, yet it is one of the least understood. Sprawling over 2600 acres in southeast Tucson, adjacent to Davi...

Comment

One caveat on planning a Boneyard tour - go online well before your trip and look at the pre-screening requirements. You cannot just show up at the Museum and buy tickets for the AMARG tour, due to DoD security regulations on entering DMAFB. Unfortunately, too, the Boneyard Tour is aboard a bus. Visitors cannot get out and wander around the aircraft. At the Museum, you can walk around most of the aircraft, and some even have places where you can look up inside, but the Boneyard is far more tightly controlled, and has been since 9/11.
      The famous “Boneyard” tour of the AMARG Facility on the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base is lead by knowledgeable docents in climate-controlled motorcoaches

Comment

While not my photo, a hole in the sky opened over the Pima Air & Space Museum on Wednesday evening. Click image for larger version

Name:	FC6B8256-9D6F-4F02-BD3E-86F88B7E3B95.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	211961

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
          I have a membership to the Pima Air and Space Museum here in Tucson, Pima benefits from its close proximity to AMARC (aka "The Boneyard") at Davis-Monthan AFB, and a number of unique aircraft from AMARC's storage are on loan to the museum. If you're traveling through Tucson any time, the museum is well worth a visit, and bus tours of the AMARC facility are purchased and leave from the museum grounds.
          Hey Hoomi, Great information, Sir. I was born in Tucson a very long time ago, LOL LOL and would love to visit the "Boneyard'.

On a similar note, last Monday I visited the Pensacola NAS Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola which is free to all with ID. Well worth the visit.
          They allow you to crawl around and touch most exhibits but I had to leave in a hurry after an incident involving a ham sandwich. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	211983Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	211984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	211985Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2969.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	211986
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I visited the museum at Pensacola NAS over 40 years ago, while I was stationed at Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Mississippi, for tech school. I also visited the smaller museum at Eglin, which was where my friend and I stayed the night on that trip. At that time, Eglin had the B-47 used to test the forward-looking radar system that went into the F-111, parked out at the far end of the flightline. It looked pretty funky with the F-111 radome attached to the nose. Somewhere, I still have a photo album with my USAF days aircraft photos. I need to dig it up and scan all those photos into digital format.

Comment

Working...
            X