X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AeroScout 1.1m RTF

I am a raw beginner, I have two fights under my belt without incident using safe mode.
    I would be thankful for any flying tips.
    Has anyone flown the AeroScout 1.1 m, would like to here your comments.
    Thanks,
    William E. Burrows Jr.

I am a rookie rc pilot as well and own the AEROSCOUT I love this plane ✈️ and couldn’t be happier some days I just practice taxing and short takeoff altitude of about 30 feet and then landing about 3 feet up cut the throttle and flair I have made 3 flights about 10 minutes in length and even though one day was quite windy the scout held its own and flys great I choose 0 level for take offs and landings and the high rate for sharper turns but generally I fly 0/1 until I get more comfortable I have a few mishaps but white duct tape apply evenly has no affect on flying at all I am wanting to upgrade one size motor higher so I can mount a camera 🎥 and record my flights

Comment

I have the Esky Eagle, which is the same plane without the SAFE and AS3X. Nice easy flyer and very strong landing gear. Back ordered a Scout BNF since I wanted one that I could be "daring" with because the personalization I did to the Eagle has made it special because of a friend. Could have ordered another Eagle, but the Scout is pre-decorated and doesn't involve a slow boat from China. I only with it came PNP because I have problems with SAFE/AS3X.

Comment

What kind of modifications did you make to your Eagle? I am getting the Eflight Apprentice S 15e tomorrow I am so excited, afterwards my next goal is the Real Flight 8 Simulator and a Specktrum 6 Transmitter

Comment

Originally posted by area51nrage View Post
          What kind of modifications did you make to your Eagle? I am getting the Eflight Apprentice S 15e tomorrow I am so excited, afterwards my next goal is the Real Flight 8 Simulator and a Specktrum 6 Transmitter
          I learned on the original Flyzone Sensei, but it was after EXTENSIVE practice on a Real Flight simulator. As far as the Eagle, no mechanical changes, just cosmetic. The stickers that came with it were just too boring:

Attached Files

Comment

Very nice I have been practicing on the Real Flight 8 Simulator as well

Comment

Originally posted by area51nrage View Post
              I am a rookie rc pilot as well and own the AEROSCOUT I love this plane ✈️ and couldn’t be happier some days I just practice taxing and short takeoff altitude of about 30 feet and then landing about 3 feet up cut the throttle and flair I have made 3 flights about 10 minutes in length and even though one day was quite windy the scout held its own and flys great I choose 0 level for take offs and landings and the high rate for sharper turns but generally I fly 0/1 until I get more comfortable I have a few mishaps but white duct tape apply evenly has no affect on flying at all I am wanting to upgrade one size motor higher so I can mount a camera 🎥 and record my flights
              What you might want to look into instead of a GoPro like camera is a key fob camera, unless you are considering going FPV. There small and inexpensive, and just need a little Velcro to attach them.

Comment

Got mine and assembled it, haven't flown it yet. At first glance the differences are that the Scout has a two bladed prop VS. the Eagle's three. And there's a slight difference in the contour of the wing.

Comment

I got a new BNF AEROSCOUT I have already bind model to my DX8 2 gen radio but haven’t tested any of the assignments yet I am still very new to all of this and the RC club I joined everyone is really great at helping out We are District 8 in Aero Model Magazine the one that comes with your AMA License I also recently bought a Nitro High Wing Trainer and can’t wait until next month for a buddy box flying I really like my pusher airplane ✈️

Comment

Originally posted by William E. Burrows Jr. View Post
                    I am a raw beginner, I have two fights under my belt without incident using safe mode.
                    I would be thankful for any flying tips.
                    Has anyone flown the AeroScout 1.1 m, would like to here your comments.
                    Thanks,
                    William E. Burrows Jr.
                    Welcome to squawk William! I commend you for starting the hobby and getting right up with an aircraft. It certainly isn't easy to start in that way. But 2 things I can think of that are important for a beginner is trimming your plane and landing. When you are flying, take your aircraft to a higher than normal height and let go of the sticks and see if your aircraft wants to go up/down/left/right/or bank either way. If so, use the trim buttons on your aircraft to get it flying dead level. When I was new at this I really had no idea what trim was for and was just constantly holding my aircraft staight which made it much harder (I just assumed everyone was doing that). When your plane is trimmed properly, you can let go of the sticks and it will fly straight and true and makes for a much more enjoyable flying experience. Then just working on your landings. Flying is easy, landings is where things can go awry fast,.

Have fun!

Comment

Fun time is Flying AEROSCOUT time I am currently out at the field getting some radio time in on my AEROSCOUT just a really great Plane also today is the first day I started recording my flying so I can go back and review to make mental notes on what to do next I am slowly trying to get away from safe mode and start flying in intermediate mode good news is if I loose control just flip the switch reorientation and start again

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Welcome to squawk William! I commend you for starting the hobby and getting right up with an aircraft. It certainly isn't easy to start in that way. But 2 things I can think of that are important for a beginner is trimming your plane and landing. When you are flying, take your aircraft to a higher than normal height and let go of the sticks and see if your aircraft wants to go up/down/left/right/or bank either way. If so, use the trim buttons on your aircraft to get it flying dead level. When I was new at this I really had no idea what trim was for and was just constantly holding my aircraft staight which made it much harder (I just assumed everyone was doing that). When your plane is trimmed properly, you can let go of the sticks and it will fly straight and true and makes for a much more enjoyable flying experience. Then just working on your landings. Flying is easy, landings is where things can go awry fast,.

Have fun!
                        But would what you'r suggesting work with an AS3X aircraft?

Comment

I think any Safe Receiver with AS3X I thought AS3X mainly helps auto stabilize the aircraft in high winds

Comment

Flew the AeroScout today, Expert setting. Performance was on a par with the Eagle. Very pleased with it.

Comment

I am just now starting obviously take offs and landings in safe mode but I try to fly in intermediate mode with safe switch on standby

Comment

N

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Have fun!
                                  Is trimming performed in safe or intermediate mode?
                                  Please advise.

Comment

Trimming a plane in safe mode often leads to crashes. We see it all the time in our flying club.

Comment

I have recently purchased an Aeroscout RTF. My beef is with various YouTube posters who create these “fun” videos on various ways to fly this plane, but then they forget that beginners want help on using the various transmitter controls to take off, fly, and land his or her plane. These instructors tend to forget and ignore us. They make flashy videos but don’t explain how to do the basics: range check, CG check, battery placement, etc. They are so enamored of their sophisticated skills, their fan base, their “likes” on their channel, that they forget about the beginners.

Why can’t they climb down off their high pedestals and show us the “nuts and bolts” of prepping the Aeroscout, running the ground checks, showing us closeups of the sticks, what each one does, and explaining what to do when getting ready to take off, flying, and then landing?

I get very annoyed with these people. I spent 34 years teaching high school English and learned how to teach. I always explained the lesson, worked with my students and showed them HOW, as well as WHAT.

Yes, I am annoyed at these “you tube” stars.

Jim Wells

Comment

Jim, I would say that flying rc planes is more like an English speaker learning French than teaching a current English speaker better grammar, sentence structure, or vocabulary. (I must admit, right now I feel very self conscious of my English skills.)

What I mean is, that the French language has so many exceptions, silent letters, and I believe other tenses that aren't that common in other languages. It's complicated, to put it simply. I agree that youtube probably does suck in terms of picking up the basics of flying rc planes. I would say it is better to learn from someone in person, which might be difficult until we've reached herd comfort levels.

I did happen to teach myself many years ago. I also crashed planes trying to get there. I had actually purchased a book in my late teens (late 80s) that really helped with the basics of flying. I haven't had the need to look at what's available today but I would assume there is better written information than what the videos might show. Honestly I don't know what you are seeing in the videos but given the videos I see being made for other activities I do, anyone can grab a camera, sit in front of a bookcase full of books while wearing a tie, and claim to be an expert at something and spread crappy information.

The best bet might be to find a flying field nearby and then find an instructor or someone nice within that club to teach you. If electric planes are your interest, find someone who flies electrics vs. gas planes. They fly the same but understanding the 'gear' is critical to both. Even just an hour or two will give you a huge benefit.

The two reminders that sticks in my mind about learning is, it's easy to level the wings or bank when the plane is going away from you but its obviously opposite when coming towards you. Forget about making that translation in the heat of the moment. When the plane is coming towards you and you want to level the wings point the stick in the direction of the dipped wing. And let the plane fly, if you're moving the sticks all the time you might be over controlling the plane. Small movements.

The other pointer that helped me is, fly patterns. Start by flying a big oval, in front of you, don't fly directly over your head, but fly an oval. Then fly a figure 8, then fly them in the opposite direction. Once you can fly the patterns comfortably, then try other stuff, but when the dung hits the fan you can revert to the pattern you are comfortable with. Just my two and a half cents. I apologize if you already know some or all of this. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X