Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maidened mine this morning. I used 1/2 flaps for the take-off. I shouldn't have. I headed for the clouds after lift off. I don't usually dial in elevator compensation till I see what it does. Well, now I know. Once I pulled up the flaps and trimmed it out, it was a delight to fly - so smooth and stable, looks great in the air and a no fuss landing. Second flight was even better. I was a real eye catcher to those at the field. Noone knew what it was or that it even existed. I was hoping it would be like a hybrid between my C-130 and BushMule. I am not disappointed.

Comment

WARNING: The following is a "hat cam" video. Don't click on it if you don't like these. For this reason, I'm not embedding it, just putting up the link.
      Best viewed in full screen at 1080P.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
        WARNING: The following is a "hat cam" video. Don't click on it if you don't like these. For this reason, I'm not embedding it, just putting up the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErf...ature=youtu.be
        And it is a GREAT hat cam video....yeeesch, some people’s kids.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

And it is a GREAT hat cam video....yeeesch, some people’s kids.
          Thanks. I think the problem is that many people don't know that they can go "full screen" and select HD resolution, so they blame the method used to take the video. When I started to fly this plane, several fellows at the field took out their phones but those ones can make for poor videos too, since it's hard to see the view screen due to the glare and the plane is rarely in frame. For me, this is the best I can do.

Comment

Thanks. I think the problem is that many people don't know that they can go "full screen" and select HD resolution, so they blame the method used to take the video. When I started to fly this plane, several fellows at the field took out their phones but those ones can make for poor videos too, since it's hard to see the view screen due to the glare and the plane is rarely in frame. For me, this is the best I can do.
            Same here. It’s either an iPhone, iPad, or RunCam - and if I want to be the one flying, RunCam on the hat...
            Otherwise it’s RunCam on board.

*snort* I do have a Sony Handy cam stuffed in an expensive bag so I could give that a shot....

see what I did there....

Comment

*snort* I do have a Sony Handy cam stuffed in an expensive bag so I could give that a shot....

see what I did there....

Not quite sure. Are you making a reference to an alcoholic beverage?

Comment

Something of note on this plane. I've been discussing it with the hobby shop manager, who also took one of these for his own use.
                SAFE is associated with channel 5 (gear). I bound mine without SAFE because I didn't want the cargo bay door to be linked to the gear channel, which is the only open port left to plug in the door. In doing this, it apparently limits the amount of throw on the rudder channel. This make for a very large turning circle on the ground. I've even moved the ball to the end hole on the servo arm and it makes no difference. My friend (the manager) had this same issue on his plane so he tried binding it with SAFE. He can now turn off SAFE using the gear switch and he says he can now get full throws on the rudder and a little more on the other control surfaces as well. This is just an interesting little tidbit for those who end up buying this model.
                I like my cargo door on a slower deployment so this would also interfere with the activation of SAFE. No big deal since I don't really want SAFE anyway, so this might be an option. More rudder travel is what I'm after. Just out of curiosity, I'm going to try to go into the RX and see if it will allow me to decrease or even eliminate the gain and priority on the rudder channel to see if it will give me more throw. If not the other option would be to bind a second RX that has higher channels and plug the bay door into it, go with SAFE binding and have it OFF (kind of a waste of a high channel RX). Failing that, I'll leave it alone as the plane works quite well as is, just with a large turning circle.

Comment

Something of note on this plane. I've been discussing it with the hobby shop manager, who also took one of these for his own use.
                  SAFE is associated with channel 5 (gear). I bound mine without SAFE because I didn't want the cargo bay door to be linked to the gear channel, which is the only open port left to plug in the door. In doing this, it apparently limits the amount of throw on the rudder channel. This make for a very large turning circle on the ground. I've even moved the ball to the end hole on the servo arm and it makes no difference. My friend (the manager) had this same issue on his plane so he tried binding it with SAFE. He can now turn off SAFE using the gear switch and he says he can now get full throws on the rudder and a little more on the other control surfaces as well. This is just an interesting little tidbit for those who end up buying this model.
                  I like my cargo door on a slower deployment so this would also interfere with the activation of SAFE. No big deal since I don't really want SAFE anyway, so this might be an option. More rudder travel is what I'm after. Just out of curiosity, I'm going to try to go into the RX and see if it will allow me to decrease or even eliminate the gain and priority on the rudder channel to see if it will give me more throw. If not the other option would be to bind a second RX that has higher channels and plug the bay door into it, go with SAFE binding and have it OFF (kind of a waste of a high channel RX). Failing that, I'll leave it alone as the plane works quite well as is, just with a large turning circle.
                  Been trying to tell everyone that since I joined and started flying the Cub, which everyone has problems with. It has to do with combined oscillations and dynamic stability. Which I won’t get into, but SAFE does this to dampen oscillations in a way which maintains positive static stability. It can really screw you up in crosswind both on takeoff and on landing, despite making the corrections your airplane doesn’t respond because there is not enough control surface deflection to achieve the required correction.

Comment

Update: Talked to my buddy again. He says I can assign another switch to control SAFE, thereby, shutting it OFF at will and getting the throws back. I don't have to choose the gear channel switch. I was confused by the part in the manual that said I "could" use the gear switch to control SAFE and the door. I skimmed over the important bit about how to assign a switch as I was never intending to use SAFE. Will give it a try before I fly it again.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErf...ature=youtu.be
                      Curious, what camera are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post

Curious, what camera are you using?
                        I'm using a FireFly Q6, 4K HD. https://www.banggood.com/Hawkeye-FIR...r_warehouse=CN

Comment

The same issue the Cherokee has, binding it with SAFE allows for full rudder deflection while binding without it has less deflection. There is a bug in the programming that limits the rudder throws. You don't have to use SAFE, just bind with it, and leave it off if you don't want it.

It is not a bug - they did it on purpose. SAFE mode is programmed to prevent over controlling, based on primary inputs from aileron. It only takes a little rudder and sometimes opposite rudder to keep the airplane coordinated. Based on when those inputs take place it becomes easier to induced a cross controlled stall and or overbank - limit those input and it keeps the airplane in an envelope that prevents combined forces from inducing negative stability. That way the airplane will ‘want’ to return to level flight.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                            You don't have to use SAFE, just bind with it, and leave it off if you don't want it.
                            Perfect!

Comment

I made some aesthetic changes to mine this morning, with a little help from Callie Graphics.

Comment

The guys at one of my fields nick named my plane “Nemo”. It took me a few seconds, but I understood what they were saying.

Comment

There’s always nickname guy - gives everything a nickname...

Comment

The guys at one of my fields nick named my plane “Nemo”. It took me a few seconds, but I understood what they were saying.
                                    My wife said the same thing the first time she saw me headed out the door with mine.

Comment

I wonder if Callie can do a graphic for "Nemo" like in the movie title. The "o" in Nemo has a little fish in the center. Or maybe that's copyright infringement.

Comment

There’s always nickname guy - gives everything a nickname...
                                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Nemo...

Comment

Working...
                                          X