X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex innovations RV8 night flight

Playing at night, figured with the short daylight hours, it would be good to have some lights

just ordered daytime rv 8, your video pretty amazing as whole plane lights up ,,,thought would just have position and landing lights
    keep em flying

Comment

Looks great RM, I haven't had mine up yet. Did some CGing and found the Admiral 5000 has to be quite far back, where is your battery sitting??
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4866.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	246678

Grossman56

Team Gross!

Comment

Very nice G'man! I've got this one next in line on my wish list. I've gotta sale my Mavic first though... and get through these C19 days. Couple of them fly out at my field quite often. One of which handed his over to me (on the buddy box system) and it was a joy to fly. Can't wait to get one now.
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          Looks great RM, I haven't had mine up yet. Did some CGing and found the Admiral 5000 has to be quite far back, where is your battery sitting??
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4866.JPG Views:	16 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	246678

Grossman56

I have mine (4500 40c packs) at the MIDDLE 2 straps. The rear strap is as far forward as I can get it, and the battery sits so only 3/8" sits past the strap. For a RT 5000 45c, the pack sits with about 1" of battery behind the strap. That seems to work perfectly for me. I get about 6:30 out of the 5000 pack

Comment

The first post was wrong I edited it. Here's a pic of placement of the 5000.

Comment

Hey RM, just to let you know, your battery position was spot on! flew her on the weekend for the first and second flights and she's a rock solid airplane, what a great find!!
              Made in America!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

Absolutely love this plane!

Comment

Back in the air today with a 5000 and a 4500 slid about 1/2" forward from the 5000's position. Setup by the book and WOW!! I did nothing but touch and goes, with one huge loop and a couple of rolls. Landing this airplane is so easy its actually the easiest plane to land in the fleet. The beauty of a larger bird and especially one with the Aura 8 is extremely obvious. This plane locks into the position you put it and stays there!!
                  One fellow who did a video on this plane admitted that up until that time, he had never flown big birds and was a park flyer. He said he brought it in hot and bent the gear leg. Anyone with any kind of 1200mm and up size warbird will not have that problem, I kissed the runway on each landing!
                  Takeoff with no flaps happens in about 6-10 feet, you don't worry about the p factor because you just hit the throttle and your in the air, its like a simulator takeoff. If you feel like that is cheating, drop half flaps and you get a scale-like takeoff due to the elevator down mix with the flap position.

As a side by side flight comparison and the fact that I still had some 3s batteries to burn, I took the Pandora out as well. Predictably, you do more course corrections with the Pandora with the breeze switching directions. No so with the RV-8. I could see the Pandora crab in the breeze, the RV-8 ignores it. I know, apples and oranges, but I tell you, if you're proficient on the Pandora and can grease in the landings all day long, this might be something to consider moving up to if you're looking to get into 3D, sport and scale flying all in one.
                  This airplane is living up to my expectations.
                  BTW, I emailed Flex Innovations regarding the extension plug and have heard nothing back from them since last Sunday. This is not the first time I've not got a response from them, don't know whether their site is functioning properly or not, but...
                  BTW#2: Horizon Hobbies site isn't working right either, at least for me. I go on to look for spare parts for instance, I get the first page but can't advance to the following pages. Anone else having this problem??

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

I imagine this virus thing has messed them up. You can also try to get in touch with them at their flex innovations owners group. They are all there. I'm sure they can help from there.

Comment

I did see a guy flying one on a windy day and was impressed how stable it was.
                      Would I buy one? no, the bubble canopy is the deal breaker.

Comment

Not sure what you mean as its a 1/4 scale model of the Vans RV-8, that has a bubble canopy.
                        Anyway, got some flights in yesterday in what was called 11 mph winds (sock all the way out) and she just ignores it, great for slow flight into the wind and it just amazes me how she floats for a heavy plane, its something you just have to see. By far the best flying airplane I've ever owned especially when you consider that the setup is all done for you, you plug in the receiver, bind and fly!
                        I'm really surprised that this airplane is not more popular, mind you with few exceptions the talk here is turning more to EDF's which is fine, but I'm finding more and more that I'm just not into how fast I can burn holes in the air. This plane, at least for me, does it all. From sport to 3D aerobatics (which again isn't my thing) to slow flight, to advancing my skills, this plane does it all. Even tried vertical flight. She'll do square loops no problem.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Mine crashed due to one of the wing bolts backing out during flight. Have a new fuselage and cowling on the way. Not sure how it backed out. But it went though 5 packs and that last one bang let go. Weirdest thing I ever experienced in rc flight.

Comment

Did numerous flights on mine yesterday, I'll have to keep an eye on the wing bolts, good to know. I had a wheel hub shatter so she's down for a couple of days, I ordered some Dave Browns (3.5 in) for her, which I prefer over the solid tires that come stock. Have to work through to next Tuesday so they should be here and installed by then.
                            Still haven't heard back from F.I. since I gave them a call, then they returned my call, which the wife answered. I was having a problem when I slammed throttle from a completely off position to full, it was like the motor had a braked that stopped it and the receiver lost connection. If I zeroed the throttle it would regain connection and was fine if I advanced it less aggressively or if I had some throttle already applied and then slammed it, it was fine. Strange, so I e mailed Rocky at F.I. (rocky@flexinnovations.com) but have yet to receive a reply, not impressed with their customer service.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing as well. Even tried recalibrating the esc.. not sure what the deal is with that.

Comment

That was Rocky's advice as well, even though it was one of the first things I did when I assembled the plane, I repeated it and it didn't help. So I e mailed him but no response.

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Copy that, not sure what's going on, I have contracted the covid virus and have been out of action for over a week. I'm ok and feeling better now. It hits like a overpowered flu. I was able to get my RV8 back in the air again after the crash. But since then haven't flown or have done much of anything. 102 fever and a feeling of shortness of breath just literally kicked butt. Luckly since Monday that has settled down and I am gaining energy more and more. This stuff isnt a joke I can assure you that, but it is survivable. Both my parents are also down with it as well. We are recovering. No hospitalization was needed thankfully. This soldier, it will take a hell of alot more than this to take me out. I cant wait to fly again.

Comment

Great to hear you're on the road to recovery!!
                                    Pretty scary but another case of someone making it through and getting well again is always something good to hear!
                                    I just wonder, in the greater scheme of things, why we were subjected to this and will it make us stronger in the long run, the old saying is that what ever does kill us will make us stronger and right now we all could use a little American Strength.
                                    Hope you're back in the air soon RM!!
                                    BTW, celebrating my first anniversary of becoming an American Citizen today!!
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	united-states[1].png
Views:	276
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	262030

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Awesome brother, and welcome to our country! I hope to be flying soon, I got out on the mower today, felt good to get out and breath fresh air. Well with a bit of sirah dust. But either way was thankful to get out of the house.

Comment

Took a chance and headed for the field with the RV-8, wind is all over the place
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X