Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warbird scale

What scale is 1200 & 1500?

Lawndart101 Hello there, I assume you're referring to 1200mm wingspan and 1500mm wingspan? If so, the answer depends on the actual aircraft's wingspan.

"Scale" is expressed as a ratio or proportion, for example, “1/10 scale". Generally in RC aircraft, we're concerned with the wingspan. The first number, 1, is the wingspan of the full size aircraft. The second number, for example 10, refers to how many wingspans of the model can fit within the wingspan of the full size aircraft. Think of it as a fraction... 10 model aircraft wingspans can fit inside 1 real aircraft wingspans.

For example, if the wingspan of the full size Spitfire warbird is 15,000mm, and the wingspan of the model aircraft Spitfire is 1,500mm, then the scale is 1/10. (because 15,000 divided by 1,500 is 10).

​​​​​​If the wingspan of the full size Spitfire aircraft is 15,000mm but the wingspan of the Spitfire model aircraft is 500mm, then the scale is 1/30. (because 15,000 divided by 500 is 30).

To calculate the Scale of any model aircraft within acceptable terms, simply do the following:

1) Ensure both the wingspan of the real aircraft and the wingspan of the model are using the same units of measurement (millimeters, meters, inches, or feet are the most common).

2) Divide the real aircraft's wingspan by the model's wingspan.

3) That number is the approximate Scale. Done!

Two caveats:

1) Most model's proportions are not exact, so don't expect a scientifically perfect scale ratio. Most of us round up to a tenth of a decimal point or even a while number. For example, 1/6.8351733 is usually stated as "1/7 scale". It is much simpler, and is close enough for our RC purposes.

2) Scale can be used to describe many objects other than aircraft. Cars, trucks, boats, etc. In all cases, manufacturers will often choose one main measurement, such as the length, to calculate scale.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks for the helpful explanation! I was looking at Calli graphics and now should be able to get the "right" scale! Sunny & 72f today wind @ 3 in Tx. Time to go fly! Merry ho ho

Comment

Working...
      X