You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change three blade prop for single prop?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change three blade prop for single prop?

I have a Pandora and the propeller is a three blade prop. It isn't always easy to find replacement three blade that fits and wondered what the pros and cons of a single prop might be or if could even be used as a replacement.

More blades look neat but each blade gets the disturbance from the blade in front of it. The more blades, the more "disturbance", the less efficient and needs to be spun faster. My rule of thumb for changing blade count is ............................ going from 3 blade to 2 blade, you can increase pitch by one OR increase diameter by one. The Pandora's stock prop is 11X6X3 (which, BTW, is in stock at Motion - I'd buy 2 or 3 at a time). Even when one place doesn't have stock, you can always get an equivalent prop from other places, like HobbyKing or Esprit models. Many outlets sell the MAS (Master AirScrew) version, which many consider to be the better aftermarket prop for a reasonable price. Anyway, if you really want to go to a 2-blade on this plane, try a 12X6X2 or 11X7X2.

Comment

I order extra props when necessary however did get caught short a few months ago when they were out of stock and that prompted the question. Really appreciate the response. Thank you!!

Comment

Apparently, the Pandora is a "discontinued" model, so get parts from wherever you can while you can. In the meantime, find out if your local hobby store can get you MAS props in the right size. Most LHS carry MAS or can get them. The problem with aftermarket props is that you may have to do a little work to adapt the size of center hole to the motor shaft size.

Comment

Working...
        X