X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WAYNE888 View Post

exactly my thinking.....got a room FULL of boxed trains waiting for retirement. Been buying structure kits and stuff since the 80s and storing it......I just turned 65 in October, and pulled the plug January 1...….Now I just get to build models and play with planes until it is all someone else's problem **have a plastic model stack of about every airplane I ever liked. I need to live to 95 to get all this done.....
    haha, I have the plastic models to but mine r of boats and the plan is to rc them. ? along with all the rc plane kits and arf's

Joe
    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post

I wonder why they discontinued making them? I noted lot of discontinued planes lately but I am only a year back into this hobby. Hadn't really kept up with it in years. My brothers motivated me to get back into it. We built a lot of planes years ago and we crashed a lot of planes years ago too. I just wish my pop was around to see this flying. He was mostly a 130 pilot for 27 years. Aeronautical engineer. I think he would have enjoyed watch up fly these days. Glad EPO foam planes are easy to repair too.

Horizon bought them out. My guess is HH likes more expensive items. Perhaps it was contract issues and such.

i am guilty of buying ahead of my skill set. One reason I will always keep a stol like plane around, I can brush the cobwebs off before flying a less forgiving plane. So far I have flown my cub, my hellcat, albeit with issues, and my eFlite PT17. No jets or crazy warbirds yet.

In the closet a Hook2 1200 Corsair, an Avios HU16 Albatross, and a VQ P47. I am actually in the process of building the Corsair. I would like to get the P47 together too. I have most everything purchased for them.

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
        ... NO, NO. HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS, YA THATS IT. ...
        Actually, I'm pretty sure its: "He who dies with the most unopened toys on their shelf wins".

Comment

Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post

Horizon bought them out. My guess is HH likes more expensive items. Perhaps it was contract issues and such.

i am guilty of buying ahead of my skill set. One reason I will always keep a stol like plane around, I can brush the cobwebs off before flying a less forgiving plane. So far I have flown my cub, my hellcat, albeit with issues, and my eFlite PT17. No jets or crazy warbirds yet.

In the closet a Hook2 1200 Corsair, an Avios HU16 Albatross, and a VQ P47. I am actually in the process of building the Corsair. I would like to get the P47 together too. I have most everything purchased for them.
          Well, over the weekend I found some time to start tuning the P 38. I limited it to taxi since I have to be able to get it lined up. It was windy in the Carolina's and too wet at a soccer field I use. Parking lots can be found. Its straight and the tail is true as well. The rest will have to be in the air. I did that upgrade to the landing gear so my purpose was to see if there was any of the gear askew. All went well. The new gear have springs in them so this will be good since we normally have wind to deal with and I knew hard gear would not suffice for that without risk. Sometimes I come down on just two wheels since take off direction varies. Did you ever use the simulator from RF/HH? Be curious to how accurate it is to the real thing. I know it helps develop control skills but wasn't sure about how good it is for practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Flyer View Post
            Today, 09:36 PM
            I’m new to RC planes and currently I am flying a horizon hobby carbon cub I have never flown a plane before this I also get a lot of simulator time about an hour a day and have flown in calm, breezy and windy conditions and now I am looking to buy a warbird I am looking at eflite p39 and the eflite p51, I like the idea of the safe but don’t want to use it as a crutch, I haa a be been flying in beginner mode in the windy elements, am I on the right path or should I look at another bird
            The "Warbird on the Right" is a Carbon Cub S with some upgrades to make it look like a spotter cub in WWII. The one on the left is the P 38 I finished last weekend. I fly the Cub often when weather permits but the P 38 will have to wait till I can tune the plane during first flight. Thought I would put the pics up today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	232386Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1529.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	232387

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
              Actually, I'm pretty sure its: "He who dies with the most unopened toys on their shelf wins".
              Ahh, but its the one with the most tools that win because without them, you cannot put those toys in boxes together. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Steelon Steel View Post
                My second plane was a BNF Horizon Hobby PT17 (v2). Flies nice but has a rollover on the nose tendency on landing. It’s overweight so one has to fly it in.

My third plane to fly was a Tower Hobbies F6F hellcat. $100 when they had them, appear to be discontinued. By all accounts an easy warbird to fly but I tried a Lemon stabilizing receiver that was indeed a Lemon. Two brown out crashes and it no longer worked. I am not buying any more Lemon stabilizers. I have an unstabilized HK Orange In it now. Just need the warm weather to try again.
                Horizon did what they all ways do when they assimilate a competitor, they eliminate the "house brand". I just checked the Tower page a few days ago, only a few Tower brand planes left and no Flyzone.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Horizon did what they all ways do when they assimilate a competitor, they eliminate the "house brand". I just checked the Tower page a few days ago, only a few Tower brand planes left and no Flyzone.
                  lets put the blame where it belongs. the federal gov attitude towards modelers culminating in the fcc pilot registration scares a lot of potential modelers away. that's what killed tower and constrained a lot of horizons money.

Joe
                  Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

lets put the blame where it belongs. the federal gov attitude towards modelers culminating in the fcc pilot registration scares a lot of potential modelers away. that's what killed tower and constrained a lot of horizons money.

Joe
                    Another aspect is mixing drones in with planes. Remember, the folks at the FCC are not brite enough to realize a plane is limited on its ability to see but a drone isn't. I refer to using a camera. Also, many, not all by any means, drone users have some safety they follow while others abuse them. If my plane doesn't have a camera, it will fly into the ground. I cannot see where it is or where its going. I make this point because I tell my local airport I fly very near <1/2 mile, I am flying there this morning type thing and the first thing he asked me was it using a camera. Of course I said no. He then explained he had drone fly into the airspace over the airport at times but explained to me I was not capable of doing that. He reminded me planes are not his worry unless they did have cameras. He was dead on with the problem yet I have not heard that discussed. He also said if I did have a camera, I would need to be at least one mile away from the airport.

Comment

Joe
                      No that isn't it. When Horizon acquired Force RC, the did the exact same thing, and this was when we still had our exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post

Another aspect is mixing drones in with planes. Remember, the folks at the FCC are not brite enough to realize a plane is limited on its ability to see but a drone isn't. I refer to using a camera. Also, many, not all by any means, drone users have some safety they follow while others abuse them. If my plane doesn't have a camera, it will fly into the ground. I cannot see where it is or where its going. I make this point because I tell my local airport I fly very near <1/2 mile, I am flying there this morning type thing and the first thing he asked me was it using a camera. Of course I said no. He then explained he had drone fly into the airspace over the airport at times but explained to me I was not capable of doing that. He reminded me planes are not his worry unless they did have cameras. He was dead on with the problem yet I have not heard that discussed. He also said if I did have a camera, I would need to be at least one mile away from the airport.
                        The FAA (not the FCC) can write all the rules in the world, but it won't stop some yahoo from going down to their local WalMart, or going on Amazon, buying the multi-rotor that catches their eye, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just like guns, those who follow the rules get punished, and those who don't aren't deterred.

Comment

The FAA (not the FCC) can write all the rules in the world, but it won't stop some yahoo from going down to their local WalMart, or going on Amazon, buying the multi-rotor that catches their eye, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just like guns, those who follow the rules get punished, and those who don't aren't deterred.
                          I think that is why they want them registered now. It still doesn't factor in that stupidity or abuse. Just note they left our hobby out for now but the name, which is already in the plane with my phone number, I did before they required it. We used to do that with our free flight planes in the 70s. It also came in handy on one occasion. It landed 9 miles away on a military base.

Comment

+1

already been checked by LEO for FAA reg. (thought it was FCC, really don't care, going the way of the 2nd amendment). we had a guy that got model fliers bumped from most parks and collage in vestal . after checking LEO hung around for a bit then left.

Joe

Comment

OK, enough with the spleen venting, let's get back on topic. What's going on Freedom Flyer?

Comment

Being new to flying I don’t understand what is going on with the FAA I guess I need to get a lic to fly my planes somewhere down the line. But anyway went out and flew for an hour or so all went well getting more comfortable had it on intermediate with no issues

Comment

If you're intent on a warbird as your 2nd plane after the Carbon Cub, I'll second those recommending the E-flite P-39. I progressed through an Apprentice, Cirrus, Pt-17 and Maule and then got an AT-6 and P-39 as my first warbirds. Flew the P-39 first. While faster than the others at wot it could be flown nearly as slow as the Apprentice. Take offs and flying were similar to the others. Only landings were different. Unlike trainers which you can chop, drop, glide and flair to land, the P-39, like most warbirds, requires 15-20% throttle through touchdown in order to flair. Once down on 3 wheels, you reduce throttle gradually to 0.

Comment

No that isn't it. When Horizon acquired Force RC, the did the exact same thing, and this was when we still had our exemption.
                                    Got a Force P51, PNP for 99 bucks, and free shipping from that deal. 1400mm if I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by ICM View Post
                                      If you're intent on a warbird as your 2nd plane after the Carbon Cub, I'll second those recommending the E-flite P-39. I progressed through an Apprentice, Cirrus, Pt-17 and Maule and then got an AT-6 and P-39 as my first warbirds. Flew the P-39 first. While faster than the others at wot it could be flown nearly as slow as the Apprentice. Take offs and flying were similar to the others. Only landings were different. Unlike trainers which you can chop, drop, glide and flair to land, the P-39, like most warbirds, requires 15-20% throttle through touchdown in order to flair. Once down on 3 wheels, you reduce throttle gradually to 0.
                                      I think you are referring to the P-38 Lightning. I noted the plane has flaps which I have never used except on a real plane. My brother says not to use them but based on flying the simulator with a B-25 plane, it means coming in a little hot. I figured I would only use about 15% of them and fly with them to see what to expect since my simulator RF-8 doesn't have planes with flaps. Is there a trick to using them?

Comment

No, I'm referring to the E-flite P-39 Airacobra. OP said he was considering a P-39 or P-51 as his first warbird. The P-39 has flaps and I use them depending on wind. Little to no wind, full flaps; moderate wind 1/2 flaps; 10 mph +, no flaps; 15+ mph, I reconsider flying

Comment

I use flap all the time 40-55 degrees of flap (any less invites ballooning on landing), in wind I come in with more throttle and once tickling the grass w my wheels I relax the E to set her down. once I have wt on wheels I kill the flaps and the T, tail slams down and the fun part is over.

p-39 was my first warbird although mine was a jemco fun scale, covered with silk spun coverite and a McCoy .35 for power. all of which most of you know not of.

both (p-39 and p-51) are good stable platforms with good ground handling, though the p-39 gets a + for being a trike.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                          X