X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS 1800mm Ranger

I picked up the relatively new FMS 1800mm Ranger. I guess they call it a Ranger to avoid having to deal with licensing issues with Cessna, because it looks an awful lot like a Cessna 150.

I am taking some modelers license and dressing mine as a T-41 Mescalero, which is actually based on the Cessna 172.

I finished wrapping the plane and got it together. I'm still waiting on decals from Callie to complete the transformation. I slightly modified the cowl to more closely look like a 172 and I plan to add the rear side window decals and from a few feet it should pass as a T-41.

Even though the decals are not here, the weather was nice today so I took the plane out for a maiden flight. I'm pleased to report the plane flies great. The wing loading is fairly light so it is a bit floaty, but it flies very high wing Cessna like. It will balloon when the flaps are dropped, so a little elevator mix is in order. The included LEDs are bright and should be neat during the sunset flights.

After 5 minutes of mixed throttle flying using an Admiral 3600 four cell I showed 65% of battery left.

I landed without flaps and it just gently settles onto the runway as you reduce power for very smooth landings. I think this will become my "just want to relax" flyer.

A flying buddy took a few photos of the maiden. I'll post some more when the decals to finish the plane arrive and I get them applied.

JB

Thanks to Callie, I finished lettering my Ranger, which now stands in as a Cessna T-41.

Comment

I love my Ranger 1800, although its only decor is some blood spatters from a painful learning experience regarding binding procedures. I was experimenting with flap/elevator mixes just a few days ago and wound up severely bending the nose gear to a point it would no longer pivot to steer. It seems as though the Internet is completely sold out of them too. Would anyone know of an alternative to get me back in the air before September?

Comment

Looks very nice. What did you wrap the airplane with, and how does that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Wins View Post
          Looks very nice. What did you wrap the airplane with, and how does that work?
          https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...or-foam-planes

There is a learning curve, but the vinyl film really protects the foam well.

JB

Comment

Working...
          X