You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-flite Turbo Timber beta prop (Reversing ESC)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-flite Turbo Timber beta prop (Reversing ESC)

Hey all,

I was recently exploiting the power of the turbo timber to fly it as non scale as possible. Vertical climb followed by vertical 0% power descent with full flap. This descent profile got me thinking.
    In context of what mike did with Draco (The GA plane) by utilizing beta in-flight, I was entertaining the idea of using a reversible ESC to spin the prop in the wrong direction while descending.

No idea if this is possible, I don't have any experience with these ESC's. However, I need a 60a reversible ESC for another project so I might as well give it a go.
    If anyone has recommendations for 60a reversible ESC's then I would love some advice. Thanks!

HobbyKing is likely the most common and widespread use of these reversing ESCs. They use them as stock in several of their planes. Their original intended purpose was so that a water plane could back out of a situation on water where normally, the pilot would have to go out in a boat to retrieve the plane. In these planes, the motor must be completely stopped (use of brake is necessary) before reversing the direction of spin. Although some people have used this procedure to slow down and stop a plane after landing when short run out was required.
    Not sure what you intend to do with it when you are in a vertical descent. Are you descending nose up or down? Are you trying to do a nose stand? In that case, you’d be better off installing a variable/reversing pitch prop. It would respond much faster than having to stop the motor and then throwing a switch to reverse the motor.

Comment

I looked at that as an option, but all of those prop/motor combos are marketed towards small 3D foamies. The Turbo Timber isn't huge, but it can't fly on a small drone sized motor.

My thought for using an ESC is utilize VERY aggressive braking at the top of my climb, then start descending nose down with the prop pushing against the direction of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriotic_Banana View Post
        I looked at that as an option, but all of those prop/motor combos are marketed towards small 3D foamies. The Turbo Timber isn't huge, but it can't fly on a small drone sized motor.

My thought for using an ESC is utilize VERY aggressive braking at the top of my climb, then start descending nose down with the prop pushing against the direction of travel.
        The transition from one direction to the other and back is not a quick one for these reversing ESCs. If you use "hard" brake, it might work. I think you may be better to investigate those reversing pitch props. I've seen those and they are amazing in what you can make a plane do. I can't say that I know of any sellers at present or even if they still market them.

Comment

It's incredible.

Comment

Working...
          X