X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d lab print F4U

Just finished this and attempted to maiden this past weekend. This is a petg print, I had an elevator issue i fixed today so she is 100% ready now. Hopefully we get the weather to fly her this weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_114412.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	238216

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
    Just finished this and attempted to maiden this past weekend. This is a petg print, I had an elevator issue i fixed today so she is 100% ready now. Hopefully we get the weather to fly her this weekend.
    RM, I have these files, too, but like all things "hobby" there are only some many hours in my day. Did you incorporate the 'folding wings'? And did you add the P&W 2800? I plan on printing the P&W to add to my Flightline F-4u. Looking forward to your 'check flight' debrief. Best, Steve
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Yes I got the folding wings, but didn't print the P&W. I think I might do it after the test flight though if everything goes well. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_092738.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	238252

Comment

• Elbee
        Elbee commented
        Editing a comment
        You so "BAD". Love your work, you know I do. Bravo Zulu.

That is just beautiful, rifleman!
      So wish I had even a small percentage of your skills..
      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Thanks guys, it's a blast. I'm working on a small F35 now. Have everything but the wings printed.

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
          Thanks guys, it's a blast. I'm working on a small F35 now. Have everything but the wings printed.
          Your Corsair is a major accomplishment for a 3DP plane! What size is your F-35?
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Small, 64mm fan. Just have wings to do... but ran out of filament lol. So a new roll is in route. Also awaiting parts from Motion. Servos and esc. Gonna fly on 4s. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200227_142530.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	238555

Comment

She has wings now. Yay...

Comment

Complete.

Comment

It looks quick just sitting there. When is the maiden? I assume there are wing spars in there somewhere?
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

rifleman_btx Nice Bro!!! Just too cool!! So happy you are enjoying your printer! What fun! Jerry

Comment

Hey thanks, but no I dont have a spar, as much as I would have liked to have a 6mm tube. Hopefully its light enough it won't be needed. I'm hoping this weekend to fly it; the fan is expected Friday.

Comment

Wind looks right for a test flight of both planes tomorrow morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                          It looks quick just sitting there. When is the maiden? I assume there are wing spars in there somewhere?
                          It looks like the wings plug into the fuse and are glued in. With the short wing span no spar should be needed.
                          I Printed their P-38 and the wings on that went into the fuse and snapped in.
                          The 3D Labprint guys did their homework on these models.
                          I had printed several but with PLA . The planes are just too brittle and warp easily in the heat.

Tom

Comment

Tom, Have you printed 3DLabs designs in any other material? I thought I'd retry their F-86 again in PETG. The PLA print I did is great with only 1 or 2 flaws per large print with .4mm nozzle. I thought I might try PETG with the .3mm but the times will be looooooooooooonger. Best, Steve
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                              Tom, Have you printed 3DLabs designs in any other material? Best, Steve
                              Steve, I've only printed their planes in PLA. I had printed 3 of the Stearmsn, The Stearman was a PITA to balance as it was severely tail heavy. The first cessna the motor came off mid flight (the firewall let loose from the cowl). Maybe poor layer adhesion?
                              The second Cessna the wing was in my van and the GA heat made it into a U since it was hanging from bungees.
                              The P-38 was a nightmare with the wing attachment and getting all those servos and control surfaces to work correctly.
                              I may try PETG (flexible) but hoping they come up with a filament just for printed planes.
                              I did have success with their Edge 540 but the gear would break on a not too perfect landing. PLA being so brittle.
                              I've thought of printing some parts of the Edge and Cessna in PETG and the rest in PLA. Sort of a hybrid, Lol

Tom

Comment

• Elbee
                                Elbee commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks Tom, Appreciate the debrief. Best, Steve

Did the maiden today, she was smooth and fast, wings are bolted in but I think I might glue them in though. Second flight was great too. Was very exciting. Like many edf hand launches you have to give it a good toss. Anyway all in all extremely happy. Still didn't get to fly the corsair. it rained all morning and it's a pain to put together and take down. Hopefully next weekend.
                              here's the website for the "F35" if anyone wants a go at it
                              3d-flight.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 3d-flight.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

As for the corsair it is totally in petg. I had to reinforce the tail under the horizontal stabilizer with a carbon fiber plate. That helped stiffen it up nicely, and honestly was my biggest concern with the flexibility. I also printed the f86 wing in petg and it was nice all around. I did have a problem though, the gear broke though it on a poor landing when the battery died and I couldn't get them retracted soon enough. It was esun petg and it seemed stiffer than the brand I used for the corsair. Looking forward to seeing what happens with this corsair now.

Comment

Go my Bro!!! Awesome stuff!!!!!

Comment

Also on my sons Cessna, I ended up using a carbon fiber plate on the firewall for mounting the motor. It seem to really help keep the plane together.

Comment

Working...
                                    X