X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric warbird racing

We are setting up electric warbird racing at our club this year and we have 4 classes. 4s max 800mm to 900mm wingspan stock and unlimited. 1000mm and to 1200mm wingspan stock and unlimited. My plan is to buy the 850mm P-51 using 4s and create an unlimited class plane, but not familiar with electric motor options. Any suggestions to run that will increase the speed on the 850mm P51? I know I will possible need to fiberglass or at least add carbon fiber to surfaces. Any ideas would be awesome.

That plane really needs nothing... Get a couple planes, some extra props and practice your turns.

Comment

Yeah, but we are doing an unlimited class so I was thinking about spicing her up. Just not familiar with electric motors and how to tell what would be good

Comment

Does it need to stay with a 4S? Same motor, ESC, prop? What are the rules?

Comment

For unlimited the only requirements so far are 800 to 900 mm wing span and 4s battery max. All the rest can be modified. This is a new category of racing for us so we are working on the rest of the rules. These two are the only constants right now

Comment

Sounds like fun! Clip the tail feathers and start modding! The old mini balsa Midget Mustang I used to race only had one elevator --the other didn't move, and didn't affect flight.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Yeah I think I am going to clip the wings and put the same size motor, but higher KV. I have the power system calculator now so I will post pics when I start

Comment

Smaller canopy too. Higher kV motor, higher amp ESC, better APC prop... more watts.

But as I said practice your turns, the person who can turn well consistently wins.

Comment

Yeah I will have to see what canopy I can use. I think the skynetic might work as well.

Comment

V900 is only 900mm and is pretty dang quick stock for what it is. May be another to consider.

Comment

We are talking about excluding the v900 as it does not resemble any warbirds at the reno races.

Comment

We tried this a few years ago the best way is to keep your War bird's All the Same. No mods, same Electric motor, same Air frame, Same prop, No unlimited class where any thing goes you will get to many arguments. We went to a Beginner class, intermediate, and Advance class with all planes identical in each class.That way there will be no arguments, except you will find some that will accuse others of cheating. Trust in this it will happen. With everything the same it boils down to Pilot skill's and turns are only one factor that makes a winner flying a consistent pattern in a knife edge in a straight level altitude pattern. and turning in a level altitude wins Over bank in the turn you will be headed for the ground, under bank in your turn and you will climb drastically, make your turn to long you have to roll out of your turn to stay in your pattern make your turn to short you fly out of your intended flight path and any time you have to correct your flight path you will loose valuable air speed due to induced drag caused by flight path corrections in other word, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice. have fun with your racing it is a Blast and very satisfying GOOD LUCK

Comment

Wild Man why did you guys stop? Do you by chance have a copy of the rules you used?

Comment

Originally posted by Mech79 View Post
                            Wild Man why did you guys stop? Do you by chance have a copy of the rules you used?
                            Yes we had rules every one had a copy, There was just not enough people interested and most wrecked their planes while practicing and gave up on the Idea. We even tried with the World models Sky Raiders with Thunder Tiger pro 40 Glow engines. I believe that Try was in 2009 I purchased 12 of the planes and 12 of the TT engines same thing happened with these I even give anyone who wanted to race a plane and an engine Gave the guys 3 weeks to practice and at the end of the three weeks of Instruction and practice there were only Five out of the 12 left. Racing around pylons takes skills the most do not have. I hope you have better luck then we did at Our Club Same thing took place at another Club in the Black Hills. They thought they would Succeed where Our Club failed. We do not have many RC enthusiasts Here in Cowboy Country LOL!!!! PS I do not have a copy of the rules we used. just made it plane and simple same stock airplane same stock motor, We even supplied the glow fuel to use ( Power Master 15%)

Comment

We did HoB .25 T-6's. Then trainers, there were three legal air frames and two of them were the same just with different stickers, and specific .46 engines. Then we did the Sky Raiders. The Hobby King EFX's. Each time we would get a bunch in to do it for a year or two and then it would dwindle for a year or two and stop.

I also set up my EFXtra FPV for FPV pylon racing but no one else has tried it.

A friend and I have been doing combat FPV for a couple years with stock Apprentices and streamers. We have a blast. Three others said, still say, they will join in but never have. The two of us also said we would do Strega's FPV combat and the 1200mm Flight line FPV combat but he has never flown either with me...

Comment

Yeah I think we are going to limit the stock class to the 850mm P51 and F190 Dora. Both are close in speed and skill would be what wins the race. The larger class we are talking about the 1200mm seafury and P-51. We will see. People want a outlaw class where anything can go

Comment

The 1200 FlightLine really fly well. I know the Seafury but what 1200 P-51?

Comment

Working...
                                  X