Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum/Re-Entering Hobby

Just wanted to say “Hi”.

A buddy and I are just getting back into this hobby after many years of being out of it. We flew several different gas powered airplanes in the early 80s until our respective families/lives took us out of it.
    We both just got the Carbon Cub S+ airplanes and are having fun with them. We have however found that the SAFE technology, while good for initial confidence building tends to lend to bad habits and we quickly changed from beginner mode to experienced. I know I found myself several times using full stick deflection without fear of the airplane doing anything untoward.

Anyway, just an introduction and look forward to reading experiences and tips/advice.

Cheers
    Mike

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Mike!
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Cobra1365 Welcome home to Hobby Squawk and welcome back into the hobby! You're right, the SAFE tech in your Carbon Cub S is very helpful in many ways for new pilots or those restarting with a modern foam electric bird. You're wise to discipline yourself and turn off the beginner mode as soon as you feel comfortable exploring more user-piloted flight, because as I imagine you've noticed it forces you to take the training wheels off slowly and more toward flying completely unaided.

Beyond helping new pilots advance quicker and shake through the nerves of flying, the technology in modules such as SAFE also carry over into gyros and gyroceivers these days, and into multirotors/drones. Even the turbine drivers will use gyros, which is a far cry from my early ICDF days and how most of us flew for decades up until just a 5 or so years ago.

My point is, it's a great time to be in the hobby, and we're glad you're here!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Welcome Mike! Great to hear you’ve been lured back to this addictive hobby and have also joined the best forum ....I bet it feels great to be flying again. We are blessed with an overwhelming array of fantastic quality models to choose from these days, its pretty darn amazing. Pretty difficult to not want to keep adding to the collection in the hangar.....I gave up resisting long ago ....

Happy flying, BTW cool Cobra you have there.

regards Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Beetlemankurt View Post
          Welcome Mike! Great to hear you’ve been lured back to this addictive hobby and have also joined the best forum ....I bet it feels great to be flying again. We are blessed with an overwhelming array of fantastic quality models to choose from these days, its pretty darn amazing. Pretty difficult to not want to keep adding to the collection in the hangar.....I gave up resisting long ago ....

Happy flying, BTW cool Cobra you have there.

regards Kurt
          Thanks Kurt. The Cobra is equally addicting....and expensive! 😄

Comment

Welcome back to the hobby and to the Squawk’. I too used the Carbon Cub S+ to get dialed in afte a 30 year gap. I’m still amazed at all the new possibilities for models, that I discover daily.

Comment

Working...
            X