X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss C46 Commando

This was a famous plane in World War 2, but I don't think I have ever seen a flying model of it, RC or otherwise. It served mainly in the Asian Theater, including replacing the unsuitable Douglas C47 in flying "The Hump" between India and China. There is a monument at the Air Force Museum in Dayton to the men who flew this plane. This plane deserves. more recognition, including an RC model.

The C46 Commando was a very large airplane. I believe that its wingspan exceeded that of a B17, despite being just a two-engined plane. It was also pressurized, which is one of the reasons it replaced the C47 in flying "The Hump" over the Himalayas. A completely restored C46 is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Many C46s served as civilian cargo planes around the world after the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando*72 View Post
      ......................................... Many C46s served as civilian cargo planes around the world after the war.
      ..and probably still are. I was on a trip in Port-au-Prince, Haiti back in the 90's and there was an active C-46 on the ramp.

Comment

Buffalo Airways are still flying 2.

LURCH

Comment

@taz101 LOL! Love how you got tag line and geo "down under"!

Comment

Working...
          X