X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant scale P-38

Went to the field today.. first time out in 3 weeks!.. to remove tables for sealing and repaving. Few pilots out flying today before and after the work to be done. One of our board members scratch built this gorgeous giant scale P-38. He told me he took some plans, not sure who's, and blew them up in size. This beauty is/was sporting a 150" wingspan! I believe he said it's like 6 years of work.. with some trial and errors along the way. Unfortunately, today may have been the final error. Here's a few pics... with some video to follow.
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

This is the startup. You'll notice the the left motor cancel itself out and the pilot restarts it.
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

This is the flight video. The end of this vid is NOT work or child friendly! I apologize for not being able to contain myself. Bad day at the field...
      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

It's all good bro, I've said much worse with models much less expensive and time consuming. That poor owner must have been SICK SICK SICK watching the fatal spin. What a gorgeous P-38! I would be CRUSHED!!!

Total loss?
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Yeah... I couldn't bring myself to take a shot of the destruction. As we were walking to the crash site I had asked if the left motor had failed, all he could do was raise his hands and shake his head. Basically saying "not ready to speak yet". It took him up until after we got it all gathered up before he spoke his first word. Wasn't until I watched the video playback that I realized that's what had happened. Empathy really sucks at times like this. I definitely felt his pain.
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

100%.

We all collectively can feel someone's pain, especially a model like that. What a shame. Watching the engine starts video I could see they were not in perfect synch. As she barreled down the runway you could even hear the oscillation from two motors not in perfect RPM/synch. Ugh. What a shame, what a shame.
            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

That would be Wayne - followed his build most of the way. The maiden was pretty awesome. Seems everyone who has built / bought one has also lost one. Myself included.

Comment

I have felt a heavy heart when mine or a buddy's foamie crashes. I simply cannot quantify a loss on this level of craftsmanship, time investment and budget.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

oh man, SOOOOOOO sorry, everyone who fly's knows the feeling - what a beautiful plane
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

Wayne’s P-38 from 2019 Winter Warbirds.

Comment

You would be correct Micheal.. that was Wayne. Good man.. truly heartbreaking. I would have to agree with Aros' assessment.. the engines just sounded off synch or something. Just wasn't much could be done once she tilted over.
                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                        You would be correct Micheal.. that was Wayne. Good man.. truly heartbreaking. I would have to agree with Aros' assessment.. the engines just sounded off synch or something. Just wasn't much could be done once she tilted over.
                        With that airplane, if one engine dies the only way to regain control is drop the nose and power to idle. Engine failure during takeoff and climb are the core of training basics when learning to earn the multi-engine rating. While that plane does have counter-rotating propellers, they are opposite the more favorable inboard rotation for stability. It is completely counterintuitive to reduce power when you want the airplane to stay in the air and climb - the operating engine is going to flip the airplane over. The plane will fly one engine, but you have to get it under control first and the only way to do that is become a glider - briefly, while you regain control, re- trim and then gradually add power and trim for a safe speed - which for models is an unknown, full size have a published minimum airspeed for single engine operations.
                        I hope he rebuilds it - I always look forward to conversations with him.

Comment

Yep on a much much smaller scale I dealt with almost the same thing with a P-38...Lost a motor and instinctively (not skill, I'm not that good, lol) dropped the throttle and pushed the nose down. Saved the bird. Unfortunately a lot of times we freeze up in crucial moments, almost unbelieving what we are seeing. I've done that numerous times. "Am I really witnessing my plane in a death spin?" By the time I tell myself AFFIRMATIVE....BAM! Too late.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                          X