X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrows Bearcat

We recently had the chance to get our old Arrows RC Bearcat out for a flight in the beautiful Florida sunshine. For a inexpensive 3s warbird the little guy flys great. To bad the pilot ran out of skill on his crosswind takeoff lol. Check out the flight and enjoy. If you have one tell me about your experience. How do you like the Arrows planes.

Hi Merry Boozer,

interesting not too expensive plane.
    Currently all flying clubs are closed here.

Can you do belly landings in high grass ?

How would you rate the difficulty of this plane?
    Can you take it as a first warbird?

I like the marine color, instead of the camouflage green/grey of the others.

3S 2200mAh battery is always at hand.

There is also the Flightline F8F Bearcat running on 4S, which is probably faster and more expensive.

Comment

Also question for hand launch.
      All sports clubs still stay here closed for a while.
      An airport is missing.
      Only available is a field with high grass.

So hand launch and belly landings are the alternatives.

Comment

This is a great bird but for hand tossing I think we should honestly look at something different. The Flightline Dora will also fly on 3s along with the mustang and is definitely more suitable for your situation. That being said could it be hand tossed probably with full flaps this bird crawls. I would definitely recommend a friend to throw it for you so you can be on the sticks. The 4 bladed prop will probably break on a belly landing as an FYI.

Comment

slumi A "green and gray" Bearcat? I can't recall seeing one of those... perhaps you're thinking of another airplane. Our FlightLine 1200mm Bearcat, this Arrows 1100mm Bearcat, and the couple of balsa Bearcats on the market are all the dark sea blue color. Eflite's 880mm Rare Bear, which was based on a Bearcat converted to a Reno Racer, was purple and orange.

Regardless, Bearcats seem to all fly well due to their generous wing shape. I agree with Wes, though, that belly landing a four bladed prop plane isn't ideal. 3 or 2 is more likely to last longer.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi Alpha, Merry Boozer,

thanks for your reply. But you misunderstood. I have difficulties spotting small warbirds in camouflage. Therefor marineblue color is great.
            But Merry Boozer mentioned, that it is not for belly landing.
            In fact, I like the 1100 mm wing size.

Merry Boozer: would you recommend the Fw 190 Dora or P51 Mustang 850 mm wing size as a first warbird (perhaps on 3S) ?

I already did a lot of hand launch flying with my brushless upgraded Hobbyzone Delta Ray (800 mm) with twin strong motors 2x200 Watt with 2200mAh 3S 35C lipo.
            My main experience is helicopters: Align Trex 700L. RC planes only one year.

Hope that soon the sports club reopen again, to fly bigger planes.
            We are in dark times. The "Oktober Fest" is cancelled for the very first time.

Comment

Yes I definitely recommend the Dora or mustang for great first war bird. If I had to choose the Dora is a little bit easier to fly. Also it feels bigger and the paint job is fantastic. Once you’ve mastered it on 3s adding a 4s battery makes it a rocket ship.

Comment

Thanks Merry Boozer,

will order the Fw190 Dora then and start on 3S, maybe order one lipo on 4S already.
                I have plenty of the 3S 2200mAh 35C.

Had today a lot of fun with the HK Kinetic 800. Always use Eagletree Guardian 3D mode.
                Of course Flightline will be even better.

Comment

Like Alpha said, Bearcats are really wonderful flyers. You can pick any size you wish - they all behave remarkably alike, and that behavior is predictable and stable. My Eleven Hobby F8F’s are the big brothers of the Arrows, just a bit less colorful. For a 3 cell plane they are fantastically capable, decently fast and agile while still able to bring you 8 minute flights on a 2500ma-sized battery. And landings with flaps will amaze, able to fly at a speed that makes you want to trot alongside.

I haven’t - yet - knuckled under and bought the Flightline Bearcat. Not yet.. But that day is imminent, simply because one cannot ever have enough Bearcats. That one, and a VQ/Legends bird. But the Arrows/Eleven Hobbys F8F is about as perfect a warbird as can be had - easy to fly, mostly forgiving of dumbthumbs, and a joy to behold in flight.

Comment

Does anyone know if you can program the arrows brand esc? And where to find the info on programming it? I've done some searches but can't find anything, I'm thinking it's maybe another brand's esc rebranded. I would like to program the throttle curve in the sec if that's a choice. I did try to change it in my dx6e but I can't seem to add more than the 4 points to the curve. So either I'm stuck with 25% for each point or I go smaller at the bottom of the throttle and ramp up quick. I can see myself eventually going to a 60 amp maybe for 4s power, but in the meantime would like to soften the throttle curve a little. Also, has anyone flown with 4s 2200 with the stock esc?

Comment

Working...
                    X