X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-25

I have a real hankering for a B-25 Mitchell and I can only find some really expensive options. Does anyone know of any electric examples out there that won’t break the bank? A decent wingspan too would be good. 60”+ or so.
    MotionRC, FlightLine... I’m looking at you!

That kinda depends on the size of the bank you’re talking about. Killerplanes still has a couple in stock from the old discontinued series. Banana Hobby also has a couple of models. One is an older version and is in stock and the other is a new version on pre-order. Then there’s a couple that I consider to be a bit pricey but there are people out there who wouldn’t blink at the price. A Google search revealed these:
    https://www.killerplanes.com/product...-or-rtf-or-kit
    https://www.bananahobby.com/electric...rc-planes.html
    https://vqwarbirds.com/product/seagu...ngspan-sea330/
    https://www.scaleflying.com/Super-Sc...e-_p_4213.html

Comment

Ah amazing, thank you for those links. Some stunning aircraft and some scary prices!
      I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the FlightLine P-38 size and price. Another gorgeous aircraft!

Comment

I think the thing with the B-25 is that FMS and Banana Hobby (BlitzRCWorks) has had a really long run on them and they didn't sell all that well. Once the supply ran out, FMS discontinued it. I had one but it got a little boring to fly and I cleaned it up and gave it away. It was in the sub-1500mm size. The only new one to come along is the Banana Hobby pre-order, which should be in the size you wanted. Who knows, maybe FMS or Eflite will bring another one out but if it's going to be in the 60" size again, it'll likely be pricey. And Flightline might surprise you one of these with one. They'd have to sell thousands of them to justify making a new one. As Alpha (manager for MotionRC) just said in the latest Freewing plant tour video, when someone says they'd like to see one, he has to ask if there are only a few such people or if there are 10's of thousands of such people.
        The KillerPlanes one is likely a couple of the last FMS ones in stock anywhere. That guy takes them and he installs "crashproofing" in them when a customer asks for it but he'll also sell them as is. The fact that he still has some is an indication that they don't sell well.

Comment

Yeah that’s a fair point. I watched the MotionRC factory tour which is what made me think about the B25. I won’t lie, I could spend a lot of money with them! They seem to be a cut above a lot of other foam manufacturers.
          I love scale warbirds and am slowly building up my collection...

Thanks for your replies on here xviper, I really appreciate it.

Comment

xviper The link to the Banana Hobby is very interesting. The preorder/backorder is the same bird they have been selling for years that is made by LX(Shenzen Lanxiang) for the Banana Hobby "BlitzRCWorks" label.
            Banana Hobby has not had a stellar inventory of this in the last couple years so it looks that they are trying an apparently new approach of "pre-order" marketing.
            A big dichotomy in the advertisement is where they say Your order will only be charged at time of shipment*
            And then say
            *PayPal Orders
            PayPal orders will be charged when the order is placed.
            *International Orders
            International orders will be charged when the order is placed.

What kind of double talk is that Buyers be careful if not even skeptical
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

OV10 Banana Hobby has had a roller coaster ride of reviews, mostly on the negative side. Their attention to customer service has been equally up and down. I can't say I'm an avid fan of them but I do find some of their products interesting and have purchased a very small handful of them. All of them have been sub-par and only one has been just barely adequate, yet I do enjoy that one a lot. I've been burned once by them (my very first purchase) but the cost of entry at that time was small, so I gave them another try years later and that experience was "OK". (Note I didn't say stellar.)
              They seem to "talk big" but carry a really tiny stick. You call it "double talk". Some have simply called it "bare faced lies" and self contradictory. They are the masters of the loop hole and when that doesn't work, they just ignore you. As you say, one must apply the "buyer beware" principle when dealing with them and if you do decide to pull the trigger on anything, do your research well on it and keep your expectations on the low side. If you don't expect much, then don't get much, you aren't kicking yourself too harshly.
              Although I'm not in the market for their B-25, if I were, I would go into it knowing that it's going require some work to get it right. I see BlitzRCWorks products about 1/2 a step below Dynam and I've had several Dynam products. With low expectations, I've been happy with my purchases.

Comment

xviper Everything you say is about the same way I feel. Have been judicious about flying my LX B-25 (modeled as a PBJ) because of the lack of parts.
                Ya never know when that expiration date is gonna happen and here's to hoping that Flight Line does a 2000mm version.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Andym610 View Post
                  I have a real hankering for a B-25 Mitchell and I can only find some really expensive options. Does anyone know of any electric examples out there that won’t break the bank? A decent wingspan too would be good. 60”+ or so.
                  MotionRC, FlightLine... I’m looking at you!
                  AM, If you have access to a 3DP, 3DLabs has just issued a new version for 3DP. Looks really good and it's big. 68". Check it out. https://3dlabprint.com/shop/b25jmitchell/ . There are files for the PW dummy engines as well. I've been looking at this one for myself as we need a good scale B-25. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

That 3DP B25 looks pretty sweet! Good size too. Unfortunately no 3D Printer here...

Comment

QUOTE=OV10;n251366]xviper Everything you say is about the same way I feel. Have been judicious about flying my LX B-25 (modeled as a PBJ) because of the lack of parts.
                      Ya never know when that expiration date is gonna happen and here's to hoping that Flight Line does a 2000mm version.[/QUOTE]

OV10 and Xviper, I've seen a lot of discussion about how terrible Banana Hobby is. As you said, Blitzworks is one of their brands and the B25 is made by LX.
                      Shenzhen Lanxiang Model Aircraft Co.,Ltd

So, my 2 cents. I purchased the B25 late last year and haven't had any problems with Blitzworks or Banana Hobby. The bomber was packaged professionally, every bit as well as Freewing planes with an expensive 2-part foam cradle holding all the parts, which were all bagged separately, nothing was missing, The workmanship on the B25 is not sub-par, I was impressed with the detailed cowls, cockpit, and top turret. (they put the 3D-printed one to shame). This is a scale model. Plus the LX B25 has lights, wheel brakes, bomb-bay, and a jack-screw driven retract system. On the minus side, the retracts are delicate and I had to replace the flimsy pushrods for the control surfaces. But I love the way she flies and the looks - so in my opinion I would say that its a decent model for the money and definitely not like Dynam. My Dynam B26 came in a box with no packing material whatsoever and the fuse was dented because the parts inside the box were banging into it. Plus I had to rebuild it to fix all the problems.

There are a bunch of parts available for the LX B25 from Banana Hobby, perhaps not every one, but check it out.
                      I ordered some spare parts and a metal stand and they shipped from California (free shipping), and arrived in Ohio 3 days later. My order was correct and it was packed well.
                      I also spoke to a person there, because there was some concern about shipping times (they are short-staffed because of the Coronavirus) and he was friendly and helpful.

So from what I have read, its obvious that some people have had some problems (I don't dispute that) but I've had nothing but normal results. Knock on wood.

BTW the build video by RCInformer was really helpful.

And here is a chase video of mine flying around. I installed a sound system in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191113_214918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	252057

Click image for larger version  Name:	Marcs B25-7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	252056
                      Attached Files
                      Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

I have the FMS Tigercat, what a machine! This is the size and quality, most of use are wanting for in the Mitchell. I do not see FMS having another twin to run against the Tigercat. So, that leaves Motion are Horizon to build a good foamy product. All we can do is hope one of the two take the challenge. I know that Alpha said, that the OV-10 was built because of customer request. The Bronco must do well for Motion to do another model on customer request. So, go out and buy the Bronco and keep requesting what you wish made on all media outlets. It works guys, I was one who requested the Bronco. Just keep persistent. Papa

Comment

themudduck Are you flying on 4s or 5s? I'm glad you like your big B-25! When tuned right they are fun to own, and overall have aged rather well, all things considered.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                            themudduck Are you flying on 4s or 5s? I'm glad you like your big B-25! When tuned right they are fun to own, and overall have aged rather well, all things considered.
                            Alpha, A 2000mm B-25 would be a wonderful addition to the "Twin Engine" Flightline Line Up. Pulllleeeeeze. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

Alpha, A 2000mm B-25 would be a wonderful addition to the "Twin Engine" Flightline Line Up. Pulllleeeeeze. Best, LB
                              After the Mosquito!

Comment

• Elbee
                                Elbee commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That'll do, too. Actually, that would be great. Best, LB

Despite a few of its flaws, I still found the LX B-25 to be a good value out of the box. It is surprisingly well engineered and extensively detailed compared to many of the other LX aircraft. The landing gear alone (despite being a bit weak) are some of the most scale gear I’ve seen on a B-25, including many balsa and composite models. The small door on the nose wheel is a very nice touch there as well.

My only complaints on the model were the rigidity of the wing (could use a beefier spar), and better hardware (servos, pushrods, control horns). I never ran the stock power system, so I can’t speak to it, but the 6S FMS Tigercat system works great in it. As long you fly scale, the wing isn’t really an issue, though if you decided to loop/roll it, I’d be worried. With FlightLine/Freewing ball links, a more rigid spar, and wing multi-connectors, it would really be an amazing model! Mine is a long way from stock, but here’s a few photos of it re-skinned in aluminum.

Comment

• Grossman56
                                Grossman56 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hey DD, as someone who knows the fun of applying Flite Metal or aluminum tape on a foam airplane, I can truthfully say that is an amazing job!! Well done!!

Grosman56

She is most definitely a beautiful bird of prey.. despite her flaws. Nice job..
                              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Hi Alpha, I am using a 4S 8000 pack with high timing on the ESC. It doesn't have "excess power" but flies very nicely, I mean fairly realistically. Keeps me honest. Its a big plane and fairly heavy so it has top be handled correctly, but I enjoy it a lot.. As F106DeltaDart said, the landing gear is weak. I didn't upgrade the wing spar but I upgraded all the pushrods.. I love all the scale detail.
                                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

I've been waiting for a giant scale (2000mm+) quality, scale EPO foam B-25 for several years. If anyone could do it it would be FlightLine. The LX version (I had two) is nice and flies good but as is common with LX models, trusting the components and gear is always a crap shoot. My first one was a lemon but my second one was great. Both bone stock. The B-25 is one of those models that just doesn't scratch that itch for me if it's in the 1400mm or smaller range. Like the B-17, it needs to be over 2000mm to really get my engines revving. I would suspect the same goes for many of us.

Alpha, what are you doing in this thread? Get to work on it pronto!
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                    I've been waiting for a giant scale (2000mm+) quality, scale EPO foam B-25 for several years. If anyone could do it it would be FlightLine. The LX version (I had two) is nice and flies good but as is common with LX models, trusting the components and gear is always a crap shoot. My first one was a lemon but my second one was great. Both bone stock. The B-25 is one of those models that just doesn't scratch that itch for me if it's in the 1400mm or smaller range. Like the B-17, it needs to be over 2000mm to really get my engines revving. I would suspect the same goes for many of us.

Alpha, what are you doing in this thread? Get to work on it pronto!
                                    He's busy working on the Mosquito!

Comment

Working...
                                    X