Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CMP Giant Scale Zero -Gas to Electric bash

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMP Giant Scale Zero -Gas to Electric bash

Hello , I decided to post some of the CMP Giant scale conversion of gas over to epower for anyone who may have interest. The reason for my post besides fun lol, is that many short nose warbirds require nose weight.
    At times we think of nose weight as lateral only when we can easily go vertical in placing weight when you have the luxury of a large cowl.
    This model was flown with a G62 gas engine and 2& 1/2 pounds of weight on the nose.
    That type of assembly and non -functional weight is fine for. Gas but a total no no for Epower.
    So onto the bash ! The most difficult part of inheriting someone else’s model ( not for free lol ) is the disassembly process. You cant even start a build until you remove all the non -essential parts that are not needed for your conversion.
    In addition you have to plan on your battery placement because for me that typically means in the cowl behind the motor.
    Step one was to remove the gad engine mount -repair the cowl that is long gone from anyone’s website sales . The cowl had major holes to fit the G62 .
    Second -add the new motor rails and build a lipobox
    third -build reliable access to lipo from the cowl
    4th create a remote motor start away from the giant prop .
    5th -add a cockpit, power sliding canopy
    6th replace, replace retract area and semi scratch build retracts that fit
    7th build wheel wells, add semi scale wheels
    Test CG !
    Fail - still needs major weight to achieve 25% of Mac
    8th move heavy 4oz flap 1/4 scale servos forward —scratch that idea - replace with high torque light weight, replace 2/25 rods with 4/40 HD and 4/40 had connections . Move flap servos ahead of CG .
    Test CG
    Fail -still needs weight !
    Last mod -remove all three servos from tail move forward ahead or on CG in fuselage!
    Add pull pull cable for rudder -add carbon pushrods for elevator, create light weight exit tubes -repurpose servos doors on stablizer .
    Next up retest CG —coming this weekend !

Scale mods remaining
    new exhaust -Dave Platt Zero and new front canopy
    panel lines
    paint /rivots/ surface details
    Attached Files

More photos
    Attached Files

Comment

Work in progress
      The lights you see are Daves RC remote ESC start up . Red indicates power on but motor is locked -safe ! Press the light hold for 3 seconds and it turns green, power on !
      This allows me to plug in 12 cells of power near a giant prop in a total safe coordinated manner. I did not like the previous options on the market of having to press and hold a remote start that was closer to the motor and some cumbersome in coordination.
      Daves RC is a single owner cottage rc business, great guy, reasonable cost and he will custom build your needs !
      Attached Files

Comment

It’s difficult to post pics in order of progress based on the random download function but you get the idea
        Attached Files

Comment

This was the start of the powered canopy. Power provided by Actuonix liner servo and scratch cut rails .

Comment

Progress , FYI front canopy is being replace with a Dave Platt or Park Flyer plastic zero canopy . I am in the process of deciding the best option

Comment

This is the very beginning of the process .If the rails wont slid by hand, they wont slide under power.
              The hardest part of this process is using a carbon drill bit on the slowest speed and cutting a slot into the fiberglass fuselage.
              Then you have to insert the rails and glue the rails in without interfering with the actual sliding mechanism.

perhaps a dog fight is in the future

Comment

Starting the panel lines and reverse panels that will be primed to build up faux internal structures on the flying surfaces
                Attached Files

Comment

Well she is finally done ! Aprox 6 months of work from 3.5 lbs on the nose + a G62 to shifting the functional weight with zero dead ballast needed for CG
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X