X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first war bird

So I just got myself a FMS f4u 800mm . And I have had time on a trainer. So I figured I’d give this a try and when doing some research I’ve always read that I will pull to the left on taken off but for some reason mine pulls to the right what would be causing that. I can’t seem to find anything on it . My propeller from looking from the back of the bird is pointing a littlw down and little to the right and from everything I have read is that is right so I am kind at a loss or should it be ok ? I have not yet taken off yet I been Taxiing wiyh it . Any help would be Great

Originally posted by Madog8510 View Post
    So I just got myself a FMS f4u 800mm . And I have had time on a trainer. So I figured I’d give this a try and when doing some research I’ve always read that I will pull to the left on taken off but for some reason mine pulls to the right what would be causing that. I can’t seem to find anything on it . My propeller from looking from the back of the bird is pointing a littlw down and little to the right and from everything I have read is that is right so I am kind at a loss or should it be ok ? I have not yet taken off yet I been Taxiing wiyh it . Any help would be Great
    Hello Madog8510, welcome to HobbySquawk. When a warbird is set up perfectly, then the rotation of the prop upon take off will have it veer left and right rudder input is used to track the aircraft straight.

If your aircraft is veering right then I would check 3 things.

1st, is your rudder mechanically straight? It may not be and causing the issue.

2nd, is your tail wheel mechanically straight? it may not be and causing the issue.

3rd. The tail wheel is usually attached in some way to the rudder (they move together), make sure they are both straight

Comment

Originally posted by Madog8510 View Post
      Down and right thrust is correct - take a look at a full sized T-28....
      James has you pointed in the right direction - pun intended, but also be sure to add full up elevator to keep the tail pinned to the ground for effective steering, until forward speed is adequate to make the airflow over the rudder effective. Check the trim and consider the wind - the airplane is a weathervane and will always yaw into the wind, so sometimes it may be near impossible to turn in a desired on the ground - turning the other way may help get it to swing around.

Comment

Working...
      X