P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New E-Flite Carbon Z Cub SS (Orange/White)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New E-Flite Carbon Z Cub SS (Orange/White)

Think I've finally completed all I can to make 'er my own version. Put some silver on the lower side of the fuse, as well as the ail and flaps. The wife, crafty as she is, made me some 'boots' for the coils/springs on the landing gear. Ms Callie hooked me up with the windshield decals. Wood prop was a must for this livery. Also, I just had to put some running lights for those early mornin flights. They're the wireless, rechargable, led addons.
    Thinkin that's enough to stand 'er apart from all others like 'er. I'm happy with it.. for now.
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Very nice BD!

Comment

Thanks guys..
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

HH really dropped the ball, or prop adapter, on this one. When first built, I had issue with the (collet) prop adapter on this bird. I installed the prop and then on power test the whole thing flew off. Spinner, prop, and adapter, still complete, just no longer connected to the motor shaft. So I put a light coat of loctite over the motor shaft and reinstalled the prop adapter, prop, and spinner. Held up well for 3 flights, so I figure it's all good. Today I go out to the field.. start going through my preflight checks and all looks good. Go to take off and 'whirrrr'!... the motor's turning fine, but my Cubzie is barely crawling. Yup.. the prop adapter let loose again. Mind you, I have it cranked down to the point of damn near striping out the prop nut. I go to HH's site and right there in the reviews someone has posted about this same issue. Even goes as far as recommending a prop adapter with a set screw. I go out to my hanger (garage) to get an accurate measurement of the motor shaft and what do I find? The motor shaft does have a flat spot for a set screw. As I'm still fairly new to this hobby, for all I know every motor has this same spot on the shaft. But it seems to me either HH dropped the ball on putting the proper prop adapter in the packaging.. or it's just 1mm too big to get a tight enough hold on the shaft. Either way.. I'm just happy it didn't take off and then spin the adapter off. This would be a much more heated posting! I did contact their support center on this, still waiting to hear back from someone. Will be interesting to see how they respond as this seems to be an issue with this model. I believe they had motor problems with this model in the beginning and then went on to using the same motor as in their Cessna of the same scale. I'm guessing they didn't think to make sure the adapter was a proper match.

So, anyone reading this, can you maybe recommend a 6mm to 5/16 set screw prop adapter? I found one that Great Planes has, but looks like it takes a spinner that screws right onto the adapter shaft... whereas I need one with the shaft center drilled and tapped to take a tiny screw spinner. You know, that tiny screw that goes right through the center of the spinner to the adapter. Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated..
          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Went to my local hobby shop looking for answers there. Explained my dilemma to Stan, the man behind the counter, and he broke out his micrometer and checked the ID of my adapter (6.2mm) and the ID of a direct replacement (5.8mm) for the CZ Cub SS. So I decided to take a chance. It seems to fit tighter and didn't loosen on full throttle testing. Hoping that .04 difference is enough to keep it in place. At least until I find a set screw one that will work.
            Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
            X