X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Flite PT-17 rebuild

So I was watching The Tuskegee Airmen movie the other day and got inspired. I've run into many of these birds at the field(s) and never came across one done up like the trainers the Tuskegee pilots trained in. So out to the hanger I went. I chose #68 in honor of the 68 Tuskegee pilots KIA.. There was another dozen or so that lost their lives during training.. BUT the wife is also a vintage '68 build, so she pushed for #68 as well. Makes for a nice addition to the P-51 I had red tailed in these pilot's honor. You know I just had to take some pics!
    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

I like it!

i like generic, less than famous color schemes.

The only downside side is I think I might have a little trouble seeing only silver at times.

Comment

I like generic MORE than popular famous schemes. Sorry

Comment

It actually presents itself well in the air. Although I believe I made another rookie mistake. Put in a 50a esc (went to 4s) and didn't recalibrate my throttle controls. She dead sticked at 1/4 power and low altitude. Dropped a wing and went down. Pushed the motor mount back to the battery. So for now, she just hangs in the hanger lookin' nice... for now. I'll get 'er air worthy again one day.
        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

damn, that is unfortunate. I have a Tower Hobbies cheap hellcat that is the crash, fix, crash plane. First time was a lemon of a lemon receiver, the second time was my engine mount repair failed structurally on take off. The plane had one flight of two field circuits.

Comment

BluesDragon Sorry to gear that but if you need convincing, I love flying my Eflite Pt17. I did upgrade my esc to a 60 amp, I think, to run 4s 2500s. It's so fun, flies around nice and easy doing scale aerobatics until you throttle up and then it's a rocket. Climbs straight vertical until you stop. It does touch and goes with ease. I like flying it as much as the warbirds I have.

Another point of inspiration is if you get a chance to search on youtube and watch John Mohr fly a stock pt17. I aspire to fly my model the way he flies his plane. He's unbelievable, his flying is graceful and violent at the same time. I saw him fly in person at an airshow, I'm so glad I did. The Blue Angel's were there, always impressive, but J. Mohr left me wanting to see him fly all day.

Comment

Weird thing is.. I was just missin 'er the other day too... ...Twilight Zone moment there. Thinkin' about replacing a couple of my lost birds these last few days. I'll most likely do the same with my PT-17 above, and just leave this airframe for static appearance. Still deciding on which way to go. Was literally working the... I mean, talking to the wife about it just yesterday.

Will most definitely check out Mr. Mohr's flight vids. I tend to fly mine scale mostly, so I'm sure to enjoy. Thanks for that lead.. as well as the inspiration. I need a drink now...
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
              X