X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the hobby

Model airplanes and flying have always interested me but I stopped building models as a kid after learning to ride my brothers motorcycle. As soon as I could afford a motorcycle of my own I was hooked and continue to ride to this day. That was in the late ‘70’s.

Last Christmas I received a horizon hobby cub from my wife who laughed when I opened the box, she thought it was to small but I convinced her it will get my feet wet, see if I still like the idea of rc flying. The little cub was ok to learn the basics and it was fun but it got knocked around in the wind and the battery life was fairly short so after a few flights and crashes I packed it up and it went back to Amazon lol. The plan was to buy a larger PNP trainer, radio, receiver, batteries etc but life got in the way.......

Finally in May right in the middle of a global pandemic I decided to start looking for an RC plane. Ended up on Banggood and got a voluntex 500mm rtf to take a serious stab at learning to fly. Still a little plane but much better in light winds than my previous plane, was able to keep in the air without crashing and really enjoyed the thing. Made the rookie mistake of not watching my time while flying it one day and it flamed out and landed in a field of bushes. Looked for an hour, unable to locate it.

In June I went on a buying spree picking up several large pnp models, Flysky transmitter, extra receivers, lipo’s, balance charger, lipo safe, assorted charger adapters, du-bro tape, spare rods,clevis, and foam tac glue lol.

So far I’ve set up an Arrows Bigfoot 1300mm and 750mm Hobbyking P51 Moonshine McBeam and hope to get something in the air this weekend if I can get out safely.

Robert

One day I will put this one together and fly it but not quite yet.

Comment

Good for you! Keep on flying! I started out using SAFE mode on the flight simulator and eventually graduated to flying Normal mode both on the simulator and flying the regular RC planes. I've been flying under a year and having a great time flying. Crashed many times but this hobby is allot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Camelot View Post
        Model airplanes and flying have always interested me but I stopped building models as a kid after learning to ride my brothers motorcycle. As soon as I could afford a motorcycle of my own I was hooked and continue to ride to this day. That was in the late ‘70’s.

Last Christmas I received a horizon hobby cub from my wife who laughed when I opened the box, she thought it was to small but I convinced her it will get my feet wet, see if I still like the idea of rc flying. The little cub was ok to learn the basics and it was fun but it got knocked around in the wind and the battery life was fairly short so after a few flights and crashes I packed it up and it went back to Amazon lol. The plan was to buy a larger PNP trainer, radio, receiver, batteries etc but life got in the way.......

Finally in May right in the middle of a global pandemic I decided to start looking for an RC plane. Ended up on Banggood and got a voluntex 500mm rtf to take a serious stab at learning to fly. Still a little plane but much better in light winds than my previous plane, was able to keep in the air without crashing and really enjoyed the thing. Made the rookie mistake of not watching my time while flying it one day and it flamed out and landed in a field of bushes. Looked for an hour, unable to locate it.

In June I went on a buying spree picking up several large pnp models, Flysky transmitter, extra receivers, lipo’s, balance charger, lipo safe, assorted charger adapters, du-bro tape, spare rods,clevis, and foam tac glue lol.

So far I’ve set up an Arrows Bigfoot 1300mm and 750mm Hobbyking P51 Moonshine McBeam and hope to get something in the air this weekend if I can get out safely.

Robert

Not to takeaways, what Motion RC has to offer. There are many aircraft that will suffice as a trainer. The E-flight Apprentice with safe. You also have to purchase the optional parts to make it a SAFE aircraft. It's not bulletproof out of the box, per se. Once you install the additional parts for auto-landing & invisible wall flight; this keeps the aircraft on one side or the other of the airfield. Depending on how you choose it from the transmitter. Very simple actually, it has many examples on Youtube.com that explain this method. E-Flight Apprentice STS 1.5m RTF with DXS - EFL37000 It is a fine start to learning how to operate and fly RC aircraft.

Comment

I ended up with buying a few models, the two pictured below are gone now. Lost the orange one to a tree and actually gave away the volantex to a hobbyist. Between work and my little bootleg flying spot near my home slowly going away I haven’t flown any of my models lately. I have a FMS Ranger 1220mm with reflex stabilization and it’s a nice model. Crazy rugged landing gear and very easy to assemble/disassemble as needed. An easy flyer, also bought the Ranger FMS 850mm rtf for a recently retired buddy who wasn’t interested lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	E74981BD-258A-4F23-9D45-0417F5578D42.jpeg
Views:	409
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	300078Click image for larger version

Name:	FD7676CC-8475-4C75-B595-FEC8A90B1E7A.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	300079

Comment

I AMA 90 YEAR OLD BEGINNER. i PURCHASED A j3 CUB AND PUT IT TOGETHER. i TAXIED IT ON MY BASEMENT FLOOR A NUMBER OF TIMES BUT, SUDDENLY IT WOULD NOT RUIN.
            i RECHARGED THE BATTERY SEVERAL TIMES BUT NO RESULT. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME HELP BEFORE I HAVE TO RETUN IT.

Comment

Hello Gordy.. and welcome to the Squawk!

Need a little more info.. like, when you plug the battery in after charging, does it go through it's beeps and jiggles? In other words, is the power is on at the receiver inside the plane? Could it maybe be the motor cut switch was enabled? It may be something simply overlooked. Hard to say without a little more to know what it's (not) doing.
              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
              X