X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good plane for someone getting back into it

I was pretty obsessed with RC flying from roughly age 14-17 - learned to fly on an Avistar, then upgraded to a Starfire, and then got a Hangar 9 Cap 232 with a messy, loud Moki 1.35 engine. I really loved flying the Cap 232 and got pretty proficient at it - I was comfortable doing rolling circles, knife-edge loops, hovering, etc. I also threw some floats on my old Avistar and played with that too. I paid for all of this with my minimum-wage after school job, so I just sort of ran out of money and patience and gave it up. Also was a little embarrassed at what the girls thought of my weird hobby :)

So now I am 36 and interested in getting back into it. I'm only interested in electric right now. Not really too concerned about budget, but I would like to start off with a setup that is good for re-learning, but also flexible enough where I can move back into more aerobatic stuff.

My friend recommended I check out a Timber X - high wing, but also capable of a lot of aerobatics and good on floats, and with all the stabilization features now available he seemed to think I wouldn't get myself into too much trouble early on. I feel like I might outgrow a basic trainer after just a few flights, but maybe I'm wrong. It has been awhile, but I also learned when I was young, so I *hope* that means I'll pick it back up quickly.

My ultimate goal is to be back to flying the larger aerobatic stuff - 70"+ Extra, Edge, or something similar - as soon as I get the muscle memory back. I want to make sure I at least start off with a radio that's good enough for everything I'll want to do for a large-ish IMAC-type plane with large control surfaces, etc.

So what setup would you guys recommend? Thanks and hope everyone had a great 4th!!!!

I got back into the hobby a little over a year ago after a 8ish year hiatus. I can say that for me it was like riding a bike. Unless you're vision or depth perception has deteriorated chances are that you'll pick it back up pretty quick.

The Timber is a good recommendation. Even if you're not interested in having a large fleet, it makes a good versatile trunk car once you grow beyond it. I don't have one, but everyone at my field does and they all love them. The Timber has a very wide flight envelope.

As for a radio, I love my DX8. Wish I would have bought a DX9. If you're going to have multiple servos per control surface you should consider something else. Spektrum transmitters have their ups and downs. They do run all the SAFE stuff that your friend was mentioning. Motion RC carries Admiral receivers that are compatible and less expensive. I have never had any issues with them, they work great and I started putting them in all of my new planes.

Welcome back and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sheriff View Post
      I got back into the hobby a little over a year ago after a 8ish year hiatus. I can say that for me it was like riding a bike. Unless you're vision or depth perception has deteriorated chances are that you'll pick it back up pretty quick.
      So true. If you can do these things when you last flew some years ago ...............................
      I was comfortable doing rolling circles, knife-edge loops, hovering, etc.
      You should be able to fly almost anything with very little practice, unless you've been doing something similar with your thumbs and hands for the last 20 years - like working the joy stick on a crane or Bobcat. Those could develop a whole new set of muscle memory.

Comment

So looks like there is a ton of debate out there about radios.

What would you recommend in terms of the number of radio channels? Based on my stated goals, would a Spektrum DX6 be enough for what I want to do? I think the most advanced thing I could see myself flying would be something like a 60-70" Extra - is there any reason I would need more than 6 channels for that? Or maaaaybe a cheap EDF with retracts.

I have a friend who is strongly recommending I get a DX9 - it costs almost twice as much. Beyond having three extra channels, what are the other advantages to it above a DX6, or even a DX8e? Are there reliability issues at the lower end with radios? Are there other features I am just not thinking of?

Comment

cartrouble2k Welcome to Hobby Squawk and back to the hobby!

As mentioned above, the Timber or Timber X would be a good choice. Good flight envelope to get back into it, but still fun, no matter how much experience you have.

Think of your transmitter as an investment. It's a good idea to pick something that will exceed your immediate needs. As passionately as you enjoyed the hobby the first time around, you'll likely want to explore the many great new aircraft options ot there.

When I got back into the hobby after a hiatis, a DX6i was all I thought I would need, It wasn't long that I moved up to a DX7S, then a DX8 and now a DX9. If I had bought the 9 to start with, much money could have been saved. There are times that I could use a couple more channels even now. Having the extra channels available really gives you the flexability to "tune" your aircraft for the best performamce and flyability.

Spektrum radios are the most widely used radios out there. Their service is good and most are trouble free. As mentioned before, the Admiral line of DSMX compatible receivers are great value for the money. They have been trouble free for me. I have several in even large giant scale class birds.

Comment

Originally posted by cartrouble2k View Post
            I have a friend who is strongly recommending I get a DX9 - it costs almost twice as much. Beyond having three extra channels, what are the other advantages to it above a DX6, or even a DX8e? Are there reliability issues at the lower end with radios? Are there other features I am just not thinking of?
            Welcome to Hobby Squawk! To piggyback off of Twowingtj, more channels the better. If you feel like this hobby is something you will grow with then go with the most channels you can get in your price range. I have the DX9 and love it and have yet to need more than 9 channels for anything we currently sell on Motion RC. You will pretty much be able to fly a majority of the Foam and Balsa aircraft on the market with that transmitter.

Comment

For starters, take a look at the planes offered by Motion, Horizon et al and envision what you'ld like to be flying a year or 2 from now. Note the # of channels required and consider if you might add a bomb drop, smoke, sound system for electrics etc which all take channels. Buy a TX for the foreseeable future. You'll save $ in the long run.

Comment

I personally like the extra channels. Take the timber for example. You can set it up with 5 channels, you could also set it up with 7. Put each flap and aileron on its own channel. This will allow you to tweak each control surface with sub trim, but more so you can do dual ailerons or dual flaps with a switch or set up the "crow". That's 7 channels with a single motor, single elevator, single rudder and no retracts. If that stuff will never interest you, then maybe you won't need the extra channels.

A good intermediate EDF will require 6 channels. I like to put the nose wheel on a separate channel from the rudder for fine tuning. A 60-70" Extra won't require more than 6 channels.

Comment

I went with the DX8 Gen 2. I didn’t think I’d need any more than 6 at most (gear and flap). But, I’m already at 7 on my E-Flite P47. SAFE takes an additional channel.

Comment

Working...
                  X