You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What degree retracts for a corsair, 90° or 95° ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What degree retracts for a corsair, 90° or 95° ?

I have the 71" w.s. Phoenix F4U Corsair.. should I get 90 degree or 95 for retracts. I know it comes with air retracts but want to install electric retracts. I just want to be sure what degree I should use. Thanks in advance!

Hello Salsy76 and welcome to the Squawk,
    Most if not all warbirds have a forward (positive) angle on the strut which is also known as Caster/Castor.
    A 95 degree etract is a sure bet to greatly improve ground handling.
    All my 1400-1600 sized ARF warbirds I've over the years used shims instead of spending the extra change for a angularly correct etract.
    And you can see it because the wheel doesn't sit flush in the wheel well when shimming a 90 degree
    Best regards,.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

OV10 Thank you for the reply. I figured the 95's would give better ground handling but it's been about ten years since messing with retracts and my old war birds. I just bought the 71" Phoenix and I am currently flying my older than dirt, hanagr9 .60 Corsair that I recently went all through and refinished. I actually bought the 95's then started to second guess myself and was going to return them. Guess I guessed right then ;) thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X