You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficulty Getting Flaps in sync on 1600 spitfire using Futaba 18mzh.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty Getting Flaps in sync on 1600 spitfire using Futaba 18mzh.

I'm setting up my new 1600 FreewingSpitfire. Everything is working just fine with one exception, Flaps! I have a Futaba 18mzh that can cure most servo ills but in this case I'm at a loss.
    If i use the Blue box and plug in the flap servos I can't get them to travel the same amount etc. I'm not sure how to fix that and have them travel the same amount at the same time.
    I could run a long servo lead and plug in a flap servo direct to the receiver using another channel (channel 8 along with channel 6). That way I can tune each servo individually too the right travel etc. I'm wondering if there is a better way thats suggested by people with experiece with this plane?
    Thank you in advance,
    BobH

It's not your radio, receiver, MCBE or even your servos. It the difference between the angles of your servo horns to the push roods. Set your radio at half flap and make sure both horns are straight up and even. If not remove one and get them the same. If you can't and still are concerned you will need to split them using extensions.

The reason I say "concerned" is because you probably won't see a difference from the effect in flight.

Comment

Ok but how do I set each flap to half with the both of them being controlled by the blue box? I guess I can try to do them one at a time and see if that works. Do one side to half and unplug it. Then plug in the other side and do that one. Then try both and see if that works.
      fyi I know the horns aren't the same right now and that's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobh View Post
        Ok but how do I set each flap to half with the both of them being controlled by the blue box? I guess I can try to do them one at a time and see if that works. Do one side to half and unplug it. Then plug in the other side and do that one. Then try both and see if that works.
        fyi I know the horns aren't the same right now and that's the problem.
        I don't think that's what he means. First, check the servo arms to see if they are at the same starting point or mid-way point or full deflection point. If not, make them as close as possible by removing an arm (doesn't matter which one, take your pick) from the servo and changing the position by one or two teeth.
        Then, throw the switch for 1/2 flaps. NOW, manually adjust the flaps (by changing the rod lengths) so ALL flaps are at the same place. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, then do the next thing he said about the separate channels.

Comment

I think the root of the problem is that one servo is off on the spline. I would move it if I can get access to it. The pocket that it sits in is so tight I'll either have to remove some foam or remove the servo. Not sure that's possible because I'd guess its glued in.

Comment

What I wrote was to be able to see if the horns were the same on the servo and since you know they aren't that's your problem. The horn should be straight up at mid flap. Whichever is not needs to be removed (the horn needs to be removed) and moved and screwed back down to match the other. If its a little bit you probably won't get an exact match and will have to adjust linkages to get it as close as you can and live with it.

As I said getting them close is "good enough" on the spitfire because they are split flaps and not regular flaps...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobh View Post
              I think the root of the problem is that one servo is off on the spline. I would move it if I can get access to it. The pocket that it sits in is so tight I'll either have to remove some foam or remove the servo. Not sure that's possible because I'd guess its glued in.
              You don't have to remove the servo. Take a razor blade and cut an angled slit in the foam going toward the arm screw. Press in a slim screw driver to access the screw at an angle to undo the screw. Then take some hemostats or tweezers and wiggle the arm out and rotate it one tooth to where you want it to go. Put the screw back in. The foam will eventually fuse back together or you can apply some hot water on a cloth to make it seal up. Use some glue in the slit or just cover it with a little hinge tape. That's how I do it. Hobbyists have to be inventive.

Comment

Inventive? lol if you saw my work you would go. WOW.. Top Gun stuff, really. I just don't want to muck up a wing surface if I can avoid it. Presently I put a Y harness into Channel 7 and treated the errant servo that way. and It worked. Maybe later I'll cut into the foam.. maybe.

Comment

Working...
                X