X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexa Piper PA-18 Super Cub Burda 1620mm

Here we go again, another Cub plane, only it is Electric, big, and made from balsa and spruce instead of foam.

The Nexa Piper PA-18 Super Cub is a .46-size electric scale series civilian aircraft with a 1620mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and fully covered. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes a two piece wing design with aluminum wing joiner, fiberglass cowling, detailed cockpit, working cockpit doors, dummy engine, a large battery hatch and pre-hinged and installed control surfaces.

• 5 Channel radio - a minimum 5 channel radio
    • 5 Channel receiver - a minimum 5 channel receiver
    • Brushless outrunner motor
    • 85 Amp brushless ESC
    • 4x high torque micro servos for ailerons, rudder and elevator
    • 4 Cell 14.8V 4500 - 5000 mAh LiPo Battery
    • 12x8 Electric propeller - we recommend an electric 12x8 (wood is more scale)
    • 4 Cell compatible battery charger - a minimum 4 cell (4S) charger

I have decided to order this plane as I like the NEXA L4 Grasshopper so much, and I am sure this model is built from the same jigs in a similar format.

I reached out to the Motion RC support team concerning the power requirements with the following results:

"Yes the eFlite Power 32 will be good enough to power this plane. However I have the Old Stinson from Hobby Lobby using the eFlite 46 which is even better power performance. I suggest using the .46 size. Use the Castle Creations Talon 90A 4S or 5S setup"

Motion RC Customer Service
    www.motionrc.com
    www.hobbysquawk.com

The NEXA L4 Grasshopper I have I did place an eFlite Power 46 in, and the torque was very noticeable and there was plenty of power, maybe too much. So I intend to go lower this time to be more scale. Maybe I will put the 32 on the L4 and the 46 on the J-3 that could work...

Comment

Nexa Burda J-3 Build

I have began the build of my new Nexa Burda J-3 Cub. as mentioned above, I am using then eFlite Power 32 motor with an eFlite 70 AMP ESC and a Spektrum AR9020 receiver. I will be running 4S 5000mAh LiPo with a light wooden 12x8 electric propeller.

So far I have mounted the rear tail surfaces in place and added the little wood cable connectors. I have also mounted the motor and set the standoff as recommended at 112mm from firewall to propeller hub. as you can see the spacing is just fine and offset by 9 degrees and down as stated in plans.

I have not yet screwed down the cowl, but it fits just fine. I have also mounted the internal servos for the rudder and stabilizer, and will connect these today. I have also cutout the landing gear covers and wheel pants and mounted them together to be added later.

Finally I have hooked up the aileron servers (full size) and mounted the wind alignment dowels in place. Next will be the stab and rudder connections to servos and alignment.

Comment

Finished and ready to fly! Well since the thunder showers appear to be ongoing all day, I decided to finish up the Burda today. I was able to complete the wings and struts and strut connectors and mount to the fuselage, and then I finished up the radio receiver and adjust. And finished up the wheels pants, and skins and mounted them. All I need now is a charged battery and some flying space.

Total build time was about 4 hours (when focused), and a bit more to trim and servo adjust. Balance point is perfect when using a 4S 5000 mAh LiPo pushed up against the Firewall and strapped down with Velcro straps I also added.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfoxvt View Post
          Finished and ready to fly! Well since the thunder showers appear to be ongoing all day, I decided to finish up the Burda today. I was able to complete the wings and struts and strut connectors and mount to the fuselage, and then I finished up the radio receiver and adjust. And finished up the wheels pants, and skins and mounted them. All I need now is a charged battery and some flying space.

Total build time was about 4 hours (when focused), and a bit more to trim and servo adjust. Balance point is perfect when using a 4S 5000 mAh LiPo pushed up against the Firewall and strapped down with Velcro straps I also added.
          That looks fantastic Greyfoxvt ! I have yet to see this one in person, but can't wait to see it fly. Thanks for posting and please keep us updated

Comment

Have had 2 of the nexa p 18's. Careful with the front end. The motor mounting system needs beefing up. The thrust line is critical. Stalled one on landing and it never flew well after that as it was almost impossible to get the line corrected.

Comment

How would you recommend beefing up the motor mount?

Comment

Working...
              X