X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to reduce the maximum throttle?

I have a power gilder Strike from MRC. It has an after-market ESC, the stock one was replaced for quite a while.

However, I find it has an issue: if I increase the throttle, when close to the maximum, the airframe periences a lot of shaking. It certainly isn't good for the it. I worry It may be shaken to pieces.

I found the propellers weren't installed tightly on the motor shaft. I replaced the propeller hub and re-tighten set screw and the hub cover, put on locktite too.

The shaking is till there, but much less severe. Then I found the motor mount a tiny bit of loose, tightening it as well. Still, at 100% throttle, I can feel some shaking.

Not a fan of any shaking, I would like to reduce the max of throttle. Say, I want it to be about 75% of the original maximum.

Fiddled with my Spektrum Dx6 radio for a while, I ain't able to do it. I adjusted servo range, throttle curve, and so on, and I even re-calibrate the ESC by putting the radio throttle stick on a lower place than the max. Nothing works, the maximum throttle still fells almost the same, and the airframe shakes a lot.

Thank you for any help!

Balance the prop!

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Balance the prop!
      This maybe hard... It is the kind of folding props, and two blades are installed on a small plastic frame. Not sure how to properly balance it.

Comment

It's not really that hard to balance a folding prop. I could tell you but it would be long in detail, you can look it up on YT and see how others have done it.

R.
        AMA 424553

Comment

Here's how I do a folding prop: Assemble the center blade holder completely but without the blades. Balance that on a prop balancer. Use small blobs of hot glue on the inside (near rim) where it won't interfere with its rotation. Remember how it goes together when you take it apart (ie, blade pins and cone/back plate as to how they go together - mark with felt pen). Then weigh each blade on a gram scale. Install a piece of electrical tape on the back side of the light blade (in the middle) until it weighs the same as the heavy blade. Install blades onto holder assembly. I've run the same prop on sailplanes for years.

Comment

Thank you guys... My problem is I don't know how to take off the blade from its holder. It is held on a small shaft by a c-clip... If I go in force, I worry I may damage the very tiny c-clip and I won't be able to put the blade back.

The thing came to my hands in an assembly.

Comment

Get your self one of these for the clip.

R.
              AMA 424553

Comment

Nice! Will get one!

BTW, just successfully reduce the max throttle to 70%, no more shaking...

The blade is kinda of beaten up, I should have replaced it with new one! Next time!

Comment

Originally posted by long-love-rc View Post
                  Thank you guys... My problem is I don't know how to take off the blade from its holder. It is held on a small shaft by a c-clip... If I go in force, I worry I may damage the very tiny c-clip and I won't be able to put the blade back.

The thing came to my hands in an assembly.
                  Damaging it is NOT going to be your biggest worry. LOSING it will be. Have a tray underneath it to catch it and also have a magnet close to it when you remove it.
                  Lowering the throttle to resolve a vibration is NOT the way to solve this problem BUT you can play with the servo travel limit for max throttle if you must. Again, I stress this is NOT the way to deal with this. Your sailplane needs the power to get up to altitude and to power out of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Damaging it is NOT going to be your biggest worry. LOSING it will be. Have a tray underneath it to catch it and also have a magnet close to it when you remove it.
                    Lowering the throttle to resolve a vibration is NOT the way to solve this problem BUT you can play with the servo travel limit for max throttle if you must. Again, I stress this is NOT the way to deal with this. Your sailplane needs the power to get up to altitude and to power out of trouble.
                    Agree... I just learned how to take off the e-clip(previous my spelling it as c-clip, no valid)... Will make it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X