Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightLine Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm

Hi

Looking for some guidance on which is the best 6 Channel Receiver and 6 Channel Radio for the FlightLine Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm (47") Wingspan - PNP?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

D

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this with most suggesting what they are using. At the end of the day there are many choices and most are good choices.

My answer to this question is more big picture. Will you ever want more than 6ch? Are you good at or enjoy programming? What's your budget?

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply, pretty much a beginner, have a 4 ch small warbird now which i have out used, now want to upgrade, so have decided on the spitfire 1200 mm.

Budget for the receiver and controller approx 200eur

In terms of "ever wanting more than 6 ch" what can a 6 ch receiver/radio support, ie size of plane etc? In what scenarios would one need more that 6 ch?

All/any/as much info as you can provide would be greatly appreciated as trying to increase my knowledge as i go!

Thanks

Comment

It's not the size of the plane that warrants more channels. For example on most of my airplanes I separate the steering from the rudder to be able to easily adjust steering on the fly. Many put each flap on separate channels to help in adjusting. If you ever want to add a gyro you use two additional channels for that. Plus additional channels give you more mixing options.

I have a 18ch TX and many of my planes use 10- 12 channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
          It's not the size of the plane that warrants more channels. For example on most of my airplanes I separate the steering from the rudder to be able to easily adjust steering on the fly. Many put each flap on separate channels to help in adjusting. If you ever want to add a gyro you use two additional channels for that. Plus additional channels give you more mixing options.

I have a 18ch TX and many of my planes use 10- 12 channels.
          Well, that's not entirely true!

In the smaller planes it can be harder to fit the big receiver!

Comment

I think you are missing the point. You do know there are high channel count standard and SBUSS receivers that are very small.

If you want to talk the 1200 Spitfire you can easily fit a 12ch receiver in it. I have FPV in my 1200 so I have 7ch. I don't use gyros so I don't need any extra channels for that. I di have a sound system in mine that took two extra channels but I removed that when I made it FPV.

You asked "In what scenarios would one need more that 6 ch?

All/any/as much info as you can provide would be greatly appreciated as trying to increase my knowledge as i go!"

I gave you the info you asked for as honestly as I can.

Comment

That's not to say 6ch isn't right for you right now...

But you should consider what you'll want to do in the future.

Comment

Well you confused me for the other guy

Comment

I personally think any receiver less than 9 channels is a "trap". It's not much more to get a better one, and if you end up flying you quickly run out of channels on a 6ch... and end up having to pay more money to upgrade later. Just cash out the extra and get a better one.

Unless you like exclusively only do heli flying

Comment

I did, sorry...

Yes I agree but just because you have a 8, 9, 12 or whatever TX doesn't mean you need that many channel receivers but you have the option to use them if warranted. Nowadays with the inexpensive OS radios there's really no reason not to have 16ch as most are expandable. Along with more channels most transmitters also give you more mixing, more memory, more switch or hardware options and more functions.

Not sure of the heli point??

Originally posted by bandetx View Post
                    I personally think any receiver less than 9 channels is a "trap". It's not much more to get a better one, and if you end up flying you quickly run out of channels on a 6ch... and end up having to pay more money to upgrade later. Just cash out the extra and get a better one.

Unless you like exclusively only do heli flying

Comment

Helicopters only ever use like 4 channels (maybe a 5th one to control gyro)

You don't need extra channels to split your ailerons and all that on a heli. All the individual trimmings and all that you would do by like splitting your ailerons are done in the FBL controller.

I can't really imagine ever needing like 12 channels for a heli unless ur doing some sort of super scale heli with a lot of gizmos.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

could you provide links to products more info on this.....

"If you want to talk the 1200 Spitfire you can easily fit a 12ch receiver in it. I have FPV in my 1200 so I have 7ch. I don't use gyros so I don't need any extra channels for that. I di have a sound system in mine that took two extra channels but I removed that when I made it"

Comment

Three for cyclic and collective on most modern helo's, tail and throttle. Modes, but that's a mix not an extra channel. I don't know anyone that doesn't use at least a 6ch radio and receiver.

There are many who never go beyond the need for 4ch's. I have 98 ready to fly planes, quads and helos. 5 two channel, 6 three channel, 26 four channel, 3 five channel, 37 six channel, 6 seven channel, 6 eight channel, 5 nine channel, 1 ten channel, 2 eleven channel, 2 twelve channel.

Comment

There's more info in the RCG thread on this plane... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...00mm-%2847-%29

What specifically are you wanting to know?

Originally posted by T200 View Post
                            Thanks for the replies

could you provide links to products more info on this.....

"If you want to talk the 1200 Spitfire you can easily fit a 12ch receiver in it. I have FPV in my 1200 so I have 7ch. I don't use gyros so I don't need any extra channels for that. I di have a sound system in mine that took two extra channels but I removed that when I made it"

Comment

As a beginner, want go get the spitfire 1200 kitted out for good performance and use the kit ie (controller/receivers etcs) for any future upgrades/purchases

so in essence looking for guidance from an experienced flyer!

Comment

Originally posted by T200 View Post
                                As a beginner, want go get the spitfire 1200 kitted out for good performance and use the kit ie (controller/receivers etcs) for any future upgrades/purchases

so in essence looking for guidance from an experienced flyer!
                                What do you mean "good" performance though?

Like, there's tradeoffs on everything. What are you looking to do? Here's my advice for a beginner. It's a spitfire. It's essentially designed to fly around and give you the feel and experience of flying a spitfire, so you take it up, do some rolls, and go "wee i'm flying a spitfire". It will already be way too fast for scale, so if you hop up the speed on it, it will kinda be eliminating the point of having a spitfire yeah? If you want a FAST plane you should get a fast plane, if you want a more acrobatic plane you should get that. There isn't a "1 plane fits all". Warbirds are for people wanting a warbird, so you should expect it to fly like a warbird, otherwise what's the point!

That being said. The components in this plane will be completely fine for it to fly well. You want a minimum of 6 channels. Get this:
                                At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

That will be throttle, gear, elevator, aileron, rudder, flaps.
                                The stabilizer will make the plane fly better. If you don't have any experience with gyros PLEASE READ THE MANUAL or ask people for help with it. It's really not hard to set up, but an improperly set up gyro will crash your plane.

I wouldn't go for any radio less than 9 channels. Radio brands generally tend to vary by locale, like, you will see everyone in one club flying spektrum, another might all be taranis.. etc. Just do what everyone else does so they can help you program stuff.

The reason you don't want a radio less than 9 channels is you will very very quickly find that a 6 channel radio doesn't do it for you and you will want more, and you will inevitably upgrade your radio. Just skip that and get a bigger one. You can often find used ones for sale.

Comment

P.S. you won't use 9 channels for this plane but very soon you will have a plane you can do that with and you will be glad you did!

Comment

I agree for the spitfire only 6ch are needed unless adding other features like a gyro. DO not buy that Admiral, it has issues if you read the forums. I agree that 9ch is a sweet spot.

What radio and receivers do you have now. If you have a lot of a specific protocol like DSMX or FRsky it may be a good idea to stay with them. If not and you don't mind programming then the cheaper open source radios may be good. If you don't like programming and have other bind and fly (Spektrum) planes then it would be something compatible...

Comment

I've heard some vague mentioning about the admiral stabilizer from one guy at a club.

I don't know much about it. I've only used the LemonRX version and my understanding is admiral is just a rebrand. Is this an issue just isolated to the admiral 6ch stabilizer?

Comment

Here's the lemonrx version. I've used many of these and they seem to work fine.. My Durafly 1100mm Spitfire has one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X