X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some nice pics of a Maxford Spad XIII

Painted like Georges Guynemer's plane, except one detail....he painted his "good luck" motto "Vieux Charles" on every plane he flew except the one he was killed in (serial #504). This is a replica of #504 except I also added the good luck motto. I'm not going to make the same mistake he did. Pictures by our club member F.Sutton.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	292672Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	292673Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	292674

Attached Files

Man, you coulda gone all day and not post those pics! I’ve been eyeing that Maxford Spad for a while now. I’ve got a Balsa USA Spad XIII 1/4 scale still in the box I will start if I ever recover from my heli addiction. You Spad is very nicely done!

Comment

Gringotuerto Nice looking Spad! How's she fly and how's the build quality?

Comment

The Balsa USA kit will be a lot more work, but also a much nicer model. One thing I can highly recommend is Modelsounds Inc. soundcard and bright-orange LEDs. My Spad XIII's twin Vickers are fully operational, and the flash is easily visible even in sunlight.

Comment

Whats the wingspan on this beauty? Difficult build?

Comment

68-inch span, which is pretty sizeable for a biplane. It works out to 1 : 4.78 scale, they call it 1/5th. I bought it at the old AMA show, and it was the "floor model" at the Maxford booth, so it was mostly assembled already. But I disassembled a lot of it to put in sound card, motor, and various features. So I can't say I built directly from the ARF, but from what I disassembled and reassembled, it seemed reasonably straightforward. Other than one thing - the decal is a joke, it is ugly and basically impossible to fit on smoothly. I tossed it in the trash and did all this by painting.

Comment

Working...
            X