X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners enquiry

Hi all,im in the process of renewing my interest in the hobby after a gap of 45 years. Things have certainly moved on, is it possible to purchase tissue covering in ready printed cammo pattern? Also would it be possible to replace a rubber motor on my free flight spitfire with a low power electric motor? many thanks.

Originally posted by Mike Davies View Post
    Hi all, I'm in the process of renewing my interest in the hobby after a gap of 45 years. Things have certainly moved on, is it possible to purchase tissue covering in ready printed camo pattern? Also would it be possible to replace a rubber motor on my free flight spitfire with a low power electric motor? many thanks.
    https://www.wind-it-up.com/

MD, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Glad to have you here. You might check out the website above and make an inquiry. They carry "Peck-Polymers" tissue and other supplies. I do remember most of the guys in my early days were cutting out the lozenge style markings and laying that on top of an all ready covered airframe. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Mike, I took a break from flying RC planes for close to 10 years and I couldn't believe what had become available and possible. So I can't imagine after that long of a break. The options might be overwhelming to you.

I apologize, I'm probably not the best person to respond to your questions with a direct answer or products. But, yes, within the indoor/micro class of planes, you should be able to find a power system for your older free flight plane. I'm not sure on the tissue.

I think you'll probably be surprised to find there are foam models as small as, if not smaller, than your rubber powered plane that come with a gyro stabilizer. But maybe you've seen these.

I guess my non answers should be more of a question. Are you looking to just get a motor so you don't have to wind the rubber? Or are you looking to fly a spitfire of small size with a transmitter, a modern brushless motor, and lithium batteries?

Cheers and welcome to the forum!

Comment

I can't comment on the tissue product since it's decades ago that I was a "dope head". However, as far as powering a very light (rubber powered) plane with electrics, you should investigate the power systems that are found on the UMX planes from Horizon Hobby. I'm sure you can adapt something like what's in a UMX Vapor (or the like) to drive your Spit. You might even go to one of the slightly heavier UMX planes for their power systems. Compare the weight of yours to the weight of those UMXs and you'll be in the right ball park for something that will work.

Comment

I had a gap of 20 years and 5 years. I thought that was long. The 20 year one was gas/glow -> electric...a lot changed in that span.

Comment

Working...
          X