X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynam PT-17 1300mm

Finally getting around to the PT-17 build. Overall, it looks like a great airplane. Had a few issues to workout, but overall, the assembly is going smoothly and hope to maiden soon. Here are a few pics.

Nice, I just completed my build of a Yellow PT-17. Had to order many parts as i was shorted several...but she's built and ready to go. Yours looks great.

Comment

Well of course the weather is perfect for a maiden and the rudder snaps off while transporting to the field. I thought I had it secured in the back, but it rolled and bent the rudder and tore the hinge right off. Back to the bench for a repair.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. ONE THE THE PRETTIEST PLANES EVER BUILT FOR AVIATION IMO. THE FIRST PLANE I EVER SAW CROP DUST HERE IN ARKANSAS. THANKS FOR SHARING.
        WISH YOU MANY HOURS OF ENJOYMENT.
        Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

Vertical stab and rudder are fixed! Maidened this morning and had a great flight. Plan on mounting an insta360 in the cockpit next time.

Comment

Mine is pretty much ready to fly also. Still need to final balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbinematt View Post
              Mine is pretty much ready to fly also. Still need to final balance.
              Looks great! Let us know when you maiden!

Comment

Had to pick one up myself. I just love the PT-17, just not that crazy about Dynam. So I built mine as a SpekDyn plane.
                I was very happy to see they got the fuse paint matched to the tail. After seeing some vids on it, I was prepared to repaint the fuse. So very happy to see I didn't need to. I did put some paint on, and around, the dummy motor. As well as the wing struts. Just didn't seem right to leave them silver. Then I added Spektrum's Smart Tech with an Avion 60amp esc and the AR631. Thus "SpekDyn". Still fine tuning as I wait on my Robart wheels... c'mon Motion. They should be here in a few more days. I can't wait to get 'er maiden voyage
                Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                  Had to pick one up myself. I just love the PT-17, just not that crazy about Dynam. So I built mine as a SpekDyn plane.
                  I was very happy to see they got the fuse paint matched to the tail. After seeing some vids on it, I was prepared to repaint the fuse. So very happy to see I didn't need to. I did put some paint on, and around, the dummy motor. As well as the wing struts. Just didn't seem right to leave them silver. Then I added Spektrum's Smart Tech with an Avion 60amp esc and the AR631. Thus "SpekDyn". Still fine tuning as I wait on my Robart wheels... c'mon Motion. They should be here in a few more days. I can't wait to get 'er maiden voyage
                  What a peach! Got them wheels yet?

Comment

Thanks.. yes I did. Now I'm just waiting on an update cable for this damn 'stupid charger'. I purchased the G2 batt's to go with it and they don't use a balance port. So my charger needs updated to charge them correctly now. Actually hoping it shows up tomorrow. Also picked up the NTX for before and after hours flying. So I'm looking to do a double maiden this week. Very nervous with this one though. I have to set the AS3X gains before I can lock them in. Another 1st for me as I've never tried to program a rx before now. Should prove to be very exciting.
                    Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Built me a little office hanger to help keep the some of the girls cooler during these hotter months ahead. Kept me busy for a weekend of waiting on deliveries.
                      Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Originally posted by BluesDragon View Post
                        Built me a little office hanger to help keep the some of the girls cooler during these hotter months ahead. Kept me busy for a weekend of waiting on deliveries.
                        Looks like a Piper DID find a place in your Hangar! How do you like it? I upgraded the prop to a 10x10.5 and threw a 4S 3000mAh battery in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

Looks like a Piper DID find a place in your Hangar! How do you like it? I upgraded the prop to a 10x10.5 and threw a 4S 3000mAh battery in mine.
                          I love it! I do fly it on the 4s as well. Took me a few flights to get used to the full elevator. Was very touchy for me at first. She's great for those early morning flights. Lights up pretty good.
                          My update cable finally arrived! Just finished getting the charger updated. After a couple fails, I finally figured it out. Charging the batt's now. Gotta check the radar, but hope to maiden tomorrow and get the rx set in the Stearman.
                          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I'm not real fond of the Gen2's either, can't balance board them, I only have one of them, think I'll stick with Gen1's or purchase E-flights with balance leads.
                            I had to purchase Spektrum's special tester to check it at the field, might sell the Gen2 and replace it with an E-flight, as for the tester, best one for checking batteries or servo's I've used so far, mine needs more back light, very hard to see the screen details in broad sun light.
                            I might have figure out how to program in more back light, but for now I have to swing around until the tester is in my shadow.

Comment

I lost the tailwheel at some point during my last flight. Came into land and heard foam scraping the ground! No tailwheel! What appears to have happened is the screw holding the control horn on backed out which caused the steering assembly and tailwheel to fall away during flight. I'd recommend to everyone to check this screw so it doesn't happen to your plane; however, there is no way to get to it unless you cut the foam away. So thats what I had to do in order to replace the tailwheel and steering components.

Comment

Morning all,
                                An update on the Smart S2 batteries, I've got 2 of them now, their flight times are very good, and I charge them using a Lectron Pro 200, a dual port 10amp per charger, I use a straight LiPo charge at 3.2amps then check them after the charge with the Smart Checker, they do balance them selves, plus all the info is there that they claim is available to check, no other battery will do that so you can check core temp before you charge if you think they have cooled enough for recharging, that's kind of important to overall battery life.

Enough about batteries, back to the topic, PT-17's, I saw an E-flight 1.1m at the local club social fly-in a month and a half ago, but didn't get to lift it and really check it out.

It was very well detailed for Stand Off Scale, so I started my search, first stop was Youtube, all the unbox and maiden flight vid's just made it worse and none, anywhere, don't think those off name vendors have them, I ordered one for a vendor called EAG, scam, Visa is on to them and didn't waste my funds,

Determined to have a PT-17 I considered the Dynam but the quality of that kit seemed questionable so I kept looking, found one or two video's about a vendor called Unique Models, then found that kit on AliExpress, ordered it, took three weeks to get here by their shipping estimate, it was going to be a tough wait and after purchase they finally answered my inquiry's, tuens out UM sold their kit machinery to Hookll, I guess that's okay because it was basically the only alternative I had.

During my wait anxiety fever for it one an Eflight popped up in my search resources for what seemed a bit on the high side but the Eflight none the less, never been flown claim in the ad so I went for it,

It got here three days later, and it's dustless, just like it came out of the original box, but and there's usually one of those "But" in the story, an owner not knowing what he had found out just how fragile foam construction planes are when it comes to handling, so there's what they term "Hanger Rash", that's all the damage that happens to a plane that they don't want to mention too much about in their ad's, finger dents, finger nail cuts and other things like scotch-tape ,,,,
                                Took most of the afternoon but I got most of the damage cleaned up, the old tape was the worst,

I guess there are two versions of it from Eflight, an early one that the plane needed a lot of nose weight added, and a second version with a 9oz dummy radial, and only in the Navy colors, I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, that when released they came in either Army blue fuselage and Navy yellow fuselage and no weight in the radial, then they re-released an updated version with the 9oz. dummy radial and only in the Navy colors, that's the one I got.

Now, the day after the Efight showed up the Hookll from AliE showed up, that one is still in the box in my garage, I've got a Cub to put back together first, maybe by this afternoon or tomorrow I'll get it opened up for a comparison, and I'll post that if anybodies interested.

My biplane hanger is filling up, I'm planning on using Horizon Hobbies Apprentice S receivers, they have all three fight modes to use to learn how to fly a biplane with, and yes I hear it all the time, and read it all the time, the harbarb about the "SAFE", receivers, but my opinion is, that if there's technology that will help then use it. I mean you'er using it right now instead of reading it in a magazine, right?

My Hobby People Waco showed up last night, so in just one week three biplanes have showed up, and this all started with an old Parkzone SE-5a, thought my life was complete before the fever hit, guess you're never too old to be young again,,,,,

Comment

As far as I know the E-Flite PT-17 did come in the two versions, one with added weight, but both were in the Navy color scheme.

Comment

I may be wrong then, when searching for an Eflight PT I came across a couple of ads from vendors that had them for sale, or used to have them, but they showed them in both color schemes.
                                    I did try to order one from a vendor but my credit card company must have checked them out before releasing the funds and canceled the transaction, lot of scams now days.
                                    The vendor was out of Florida, and didn't know much about the product, EAG and a couple of other vendors from the same city, so I figure the rest of them are scammers too.

I don't think there is a single one out there still in the box anyway, on a few other forums are threads about the Eflights, found one thread that started in 2017 about the release of the kit then progressed through the months of pre orders then the kits arriving and unboxing, then the issues the first version had, the second version with the weighted dummy radial, quite the read.

btw. all of the photo's in that thread were the Navy colors, one guy painted his Army, so I guess you're right,
                                    Oh well, the Cubs back together and in the van ready to fly, now working on an HP WACO, about a meter wingspan, nothing fancy about it, kinda cheap really, hope it flies well, yesterday an old Parkzone Albatross showed up in the classified's, I jumped on it, can't stop buying biplanes,,,,,,,,,

I think the only thing better than flying one is buying one,,,,,
                                    or maybe I have the order of that reversed,,,,,,,

Comment

I can't stop buying EDF'S and warbirds but biplanes are my favorite, and yet I only currently own two.
                                      I have the newer weighted radial Eflite PT17. I've been on the fence about the Dynam, I'd like to own a blue one. I know the army flew the blue ones but I swear I've seen full scale blue ones marked navy. Anyway, I have a dynam Tigermoth and felt it was overpriced for the amount of modeling I had to do to get things right and the missing or broken parts. So I feared getting the PT17 and being disappointed.

I wish one of the manufacturers would start making a line of 1.2 or 1.5 scale biplanes. WW1 and pre WW2.
                                      That CG correct and easy, have power, durable landing gear. Just like my Eflite Pt17!!!

I love flying it. I really wish it were still available.

Comment

Dynam has done a 'decent' job on their latest PT-17. I don't think you'd be too disappointed. I thought I would be too, but was actually pretty surprised. They've listened and fixed some issues here and there. Like you, I really loved my E-flite version. Although it's been repainted and left as static display in my hangar these days. I'm keeping hope that they bring it back with the Smart tech updates in the future. With the blue Army livery would be even better!
                                        Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Working...
                                        X