First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J3 Piper Cub for a beginner

Hi

Just a "search" question.....

Is there any J3 Piper Cub scale model available, which can be recommended for a beginner.
    (It is for me my all time favorite plane ever)
    Best as a RTF version with Gyro (or similar), so that an Idiot as me can fly it

I know the XK Piper which has the "Deathspin" failure (not recommended? Or is there a solution for this?)
    the FMS Piper J3 is not available anymore
    the Dynam Piper Cup (Ebay) I don´t know
    anymore?

Best,
    Lutz

Meeting all your requirements (and then some), take a look at this: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../HBZ32000.html
    Know that the transmitter supplied with this RTF package is a very cheap and rudimentary one and will likely not be suitable for advancement. This plane has AS3X (gyro stabilization) and SAFE (Spektrum’s equivalent to “recovery mode” or rescue mode). AS3X and SAFE are features that make this model the most beginner friendly of all. As you get better at flying it, you can use less and less until you no longer need it. Further along, you can turn off AS3X and see how the rest of us started out before the days of gyro stabilization.

Comment

Hi
      Thank you for your answer.
      I already have ordered the Carbon Cub S2 plane. I hope it will arrive in the next week :-)
      Meanwhile I'm just train myself with the Realflight Simulator (and the Interllink Controller)
      But the Piper J3 is one of my favorite planes.
      Thats why I am asking, if there are some "out" elsewhere.....
      But if not....ok. Maybe in future

Best,
      Lutz

Comment

Morning Lutz, learning to fly even with SAFE in the Carbon Cub S2 I virtually destroyed mine. Broke the entire nose off three times, it hit so hard that the tail broke off twice, the wings tore out their hold down fasteners countless times,,,,, needless to say I got pretty good with Foam Tac,don't use the foam friendly CA glue,

Replace the wing hold down screws with allen head button screws, the phillips head screws are a real pain when they start to wear out.
        I suggest gluing the two wing half's together because the load stress in a crash will be transferred to all four of the wing hold downs instead of just one or two.

When gluing the two half's together, put the wing cap on, and wax paper between the fuselage & wing, secure the wing to the fuselage using the screws.

Go to Youtube and search foam wing repair,

Don't put the landing gear fairings on, if you bend a prop, replace it, also start with the Eflight yellow tipped sport prop, it's better balanced than the stock prop,

The landing gear fairings are also air deflection surface's, and when you bend, and yes, you will bend the landing gear, they won't be true to the air flow around the fuselage so when you go to intermediate mode the plane will not fly well, sometimes it will dive, sometimes it will start to turn one way or the other and sometimes it will clime, you'll go nutz trying to trim it out and each bounce landing the next flight it will change.

Use 2200 3s batteries, the Eflight 3200's don't like heavy discharge rates, like lot's of touch & goes, don't bother with the GPS upgrade, more hassle than it's worth, LAS works but you'll have a hard time without it after you've been using it.

Don't try to fly slow, keep the speed up or in a tight turn the plane will tip stall into a death tail spin, Panic mode will not save it in a death spin, push the elevator stick all the way forward and kill the throttle, then when it, if it recovers into a dive you can pull out,

I'm on my second fuselage and wing set now, I use SAFE mode for take off's & landings only, when flying in the intermediate mode try making turns without going all the way to the stop of the roll to either side, you'll get real used to holding the stick hard over so when you go to advanced mode you'll have the finger muscle memory to make successful turns without rolling all the way over.

If you want a really good trainer get the Apprentice STS, much more forgiving and the wing is held on with rubber bands so it gives with sudden impact, it's easier to land on tricycle gear than a tail dragger.
        The Apprentice can fly slower than the CC so it makes for a beginner friendly plane, the Cub is beginner friendly, don't get me wrong, but I've flown my Apprentice longer without repairs than I have my Carbon Cub,

The Cub's short fuselage makes for tricky tight turns, if you let it tip stall then it's almost certain to death spin in,

Use the dual rate switch on low to start out with, over controlling is one of the first mistakes we make, it doesn't take much movement of any of the control surfaces to turn, climb, or dive a plane.

DON'T USE TOO MUCH RUDDER, matter of fact when your plane is on the ground test the SAFE mode by spinning the motor up while you stand between the wings & elevator so it doesn't move, then kill the motor and stand back a bit, now move the right stick all the way to either side and observe just how much the elevator & rudder move, not much as you will see, and that's all you want it to move for any turn, just a touch,

Now when you're landing, that's a different story, keep the plane flat and use the rudder to steer with, don't use the right stick except to control the elevator, if you use your ailerons at slow landing speeds the plane will roll, you don't want that.

Flying towards you will be the hardest thing, left & right are reversed, practice, because the plane will be flying towards you during almost every landing,

Simulators are ok, but remember it doesn't need Foam Tac for the next flight, just hit reset.

Take off's are easy, slight up elevator and nail the throttle, use your rudder to steer until you have altitude and air speed.

OK, last EDIT:
        Getting off SAFE mode is almost as hard as quitting anything else, but it's a necessity if you want to do any stunts.
        When I switch off SAFE and start to do loops & rolls, next thing I know I'm too close to the ground to save it, takes too long to switch i back because both hands are busy trying to move the sticks around trying to save it.
        Come to think about it, I never used the panic button because I'm to busy trying to save it, the only way to save it is learn to fly with out SAFE.

Plan on going through a few fuselage's, and wings, this hobby takes it's toll that way, but once over the hump then buy & fly your J3

Also, the hot water method of foam repair only affects the top layer of the foam, and it will never look new.
        I purchased a monocoat iron to take out shallow dips from finger tips and wing dings, elevator smunches, but it will never look new again.

Don't give up, it can be heart breaking at first, but you get used to it, I've seen several really nice planes turned into scrap, it happens.

Comment

I know it's not a J3 but FMS makes a PA 18 super cub that is really fun to fly. It's a 1700mm, the wings are easy to put on and take off. It runs on inexpensive 4s batteries. And it comes with floats. It has flaps and lights etc. It's a strong STOL plane.

I love flying mine. It has a nice flight envelope and longish flight times. And for it's size it's inexpensive. Anyway, congratulations on the S2! And good flying!

Btw, Arrows rc makes a J3 and FMS does as well. I've read mixed reviews of both and neither have flaps I believe. But they look great!

Comment

Thank you for your answers.

Puah...when reading this posts above about the Carbon Cup, I'll get scared.
            But without trying..... :-)

And the J3 from Arrows looks VERY nice (with the tiny little cockpit).....but has no additional helping system (Gyro).
            So...not for me at this time :-)
            And the colors are "not bad" .... but a Piper J3 has to be yellow :-)

Best,
            Lutz

Comment

The restrictions you place on your plane (IE, RTF, gyro, J3) limits your choices considerably. I suggest you go to Horizon's site and/or HobbyKing and/or Banana Hobby and refine your search to "RTF" and you'll see what's available. Then you'll see that the choices are few or none once you further refine to "gyro" and "Cub". I'm sure you must already know this and perhaps that's why you've asked here. Eliminate "J3" and things may open up. Eliminate "Cub" and things may open up even more. Eliminate "gyro", even more. Eliminate "RTF" and things really open up but then, you won't be looking at planes you really want. So, you have to ask yourself, "Just how much are you willing to NOT have?"
              To end up with what you really want, you may have to concede to getting your own transmitter, receiver and gyro.

Comment

Originally posted by SloMoe View Post
                Getting off SAFE mode is almost as hard as quitting anything else, but it's a necessity if you want to do any stunts.
                I have first hand knowledge of this. I flying buddy flies ONLY SAFE select planes and he ONLY flies them in SAFE. He flies by banging the sticks from one end to the other, knowing the plane will never roll over or do a loop. He knows the plane will always come back to level when he takes his hands off the sticks. All he wants to do is fly planes, never having the desire or need to "do stunts". He just likes to see them fly under his own "thumbs". He doesn't really care about advancing or doing anything fancy. Heck, he won't even pull up the retracts because it's just one extra thing he has to do and it's one thing too much that interferes with his enjoyment and distraction from the complexities of life.

Comment

I do limits to my choices on my own wish. I was ONLY asking if there is a Piper J3 out there (cause I like this plane, classic design)
                  When I prefer to fly with Gyro, SAFE or only on the simulator and hang the plane under my ceiling,its my descision. Thank you
                  I have started this hobby since 1 month now, trying to get as much information as needed. And I am still "learning" on the RF9.5 with the Sports Cub S and Wind (5mph) with changes of speed and direction of 15%. And flying in "intermediate" mode only. Trying to start, make an "8" do one fly by...and then land. Again and again. To get a feeling. I have flown my last aircraft 15years ago, with 35MHz, Graupner Trans,mitter and some Robbe Planes. But (as I remember) totally different mode......not Standard mode 2. As a left hander, Im trying to get a feeling for this mode now. I have ordered my 1st 2 planes for my own training. Have ordered some, which I can "fly" in the RF too. Hope this will work.
                  So you see, I am an 100% beginner, but trying to learn by myself. Thats why I have asked....to combine one of my No1 plane design with the "safety" of a beginner and learning plane. This will not exist (as I know NOW)

This case can be closed

Comment

If you want the SAFE in any plane, Spektrum has several receivers that have "Gyro's" in them, AR636, AR637a AR637b, the original Horizon Apprentice S, several others available.
                    I've got these in some of my vintage Biplanes, maiden flight with SAFE on to get use to how quick they are to maneuver then gain some altitude and switch from SAFE to unrestricted control.

You can learn with the Carbon Cub, get some air time then swap the flight controller with its satellite receiver into the plane of your choice so any plane can have the same flight mode options.

Once you're into the hobby and do some more reading and / or watching of Youtube video's you'll see what I mean.

There are a few misconceptions about how the receivers are programmed, just make sure the receiver is horizontal to the air frame and close to straight forward and they work great, and that's also the reason they're so popular, there are pilots that use the SAFE as kind of a cruise control if there's distractions around like bugs, dogs, kids, bystanders,,,,

Don't looose hope, you can swap the Cub electronics into th P3 no problem.

Comment

Just saw this. It meets all your requirements - RTF, 6-axis gyro. Also very cheap, so if you do crash it, it won’t break the bank.

https://m.banggood.com/JJRC-W01-J3-F...1bizAFSMe9ZjG7 Y&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6287842

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Just be forewarned: Banggood delivery is long and slow. It will eventually arrive. Use PayPal so you have recourse in case it gets lost in the mail. Maybe see if you can find this plane from another supplier.
                          PS. From Banggood, choose the more expensive shipping option IF you can justify the cost. It'll get to you a lot faster. When I buy stuff from Banggood, I choose the lowest shipping rate and just wait. These days, it should take about a month to 1.5 months. During the height of the pandemic, it took 3 months.

Comment

I know, thank you

I have ordered a few time from Banggood, Gearbest, Aliexpress, etc.....cause its "very nearby" :-)
                            I am from Singapore, so shipping from Mainland China is (when its VERZ slow) here in about 10 days maximum. Never have had more shipping time.
                            At the moment, Im waiting for my Hobbyzone Sport Cub S2 delivery......
                            after that....who knows
                            Still train myself on the Simulator

Best
                            Lutz

At the moment....you only could fly RC submarines......heavy rain, that you cannot see the building in front of ours

Comment

Most stuff I buy from RC Castle (Hong Kong) come via Singapore Post, so you're lucky that you're so close. I can get stuff in about 2 weeks if I pay the extra shipping charge.

Comment

I have just taken a look at that shop
                                Lots of warbirds and jets.....
                                But good to know........

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Just saw this. It meets all your requirements - RTF, 6-axis gyro. Also very cheap, so if you do crash it, it won’t break the bank.

https://m.banggood.com/JJRC-W01-J3-F...1bizAFSMe9ZjG7 Y&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6287842
                                  A friend of mine just got one very similar to this. I'm really impressed. It will do most anything my Carbon Cub S2 will do, except land in grass.

Comment

Working...
                                  X