• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 'ol 1500mm FMS P-47D!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0506.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	315868 I took out my much modified FMS P-47D Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0504 adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.8 KB ID:	315863Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0505adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	315864Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0507adjusted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.8 KB ID:	315865 after months of being dormant in the basement, due to other projects and things going on. It didn't take long to get back in the saddle again, just a great flying airplane! Beautiful morning to fly it, before it tops out in the high 90s today here in northwestern WY. Stay cool, everyone!!

It looks nice. What did you modify besides the paint scheme? I would like to get one, but I hear people complaining about the wing connections getting loose. Would you consider it faster than the FMS 1700mm Corsair? It would be sweet if Flightline came out with 1600 or 1700 mm.

Comment

Hi Coconut: I did a number of embellishments on this one. Upgraded the cockpit with scratchbuilt details like the gunsight and control panels. Repainted the cockpit to “dull dark green” that was used on most P-47s.
      Redid the tailwheel doors from the idiotic OEM version where they moved in concert with the tail wheel movement. That was really dumb. They are now splayed out with a spring that catches on the tail gear to close them when the gear comes up. Looks pretty scale now.

Probably too many more items to mention, but a few more are a scratchbuilt removable scale pitot tube, and ram air vent and gun camera on right wing. Retracted (non working) scale landing light behind gear on left wing. Red, green, and amber recognition lights on lower right wingtip.

Regarding your question on speed between the Corsair and P-47, I’m not really sure the answer. They seem to me to be pretty close, but I’m all about scale performance so I don’t really watch that so much.

I agree it would be great to have a 1700mm P-47 again, someday. I used to have the big FMS P-47, Corsair, and P-51 for years. Loved them all although they were a bit on the slow and heavy side.

I personally haven’t had any problems so far with the wing connectors, but I have heard some complaints from owners about them. But based on my experience, I wouldn’t let that stop me from purchasing one.

Hope that helps.

davegee

Comment

I just might buy it. I've been patiently waiting on FlightLine, but I do love this one. Nice work you did on it.

Comment

Hi Coconut: Of course, the choice is completely yours on what your next plane purchase is going to be. I had one of these a few years ago and it went in, not sure why. But this one I have had since last fall and just love it. Its wide gear stance makes it easy to land, flies pretty fast if you want it to and does scale aerobatics very well. If you like warbirds, this is a great choice, IMHO.

cheers

davegee

Comment

davegee Your planes look amazing! Thanks for sharing! It's inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
              davegee Your planes look amazing! Thanks for sharing! It's inspiring.
              Thanks, SanExup! The passion runs deep within me, since childhood. Always striving to make each work a little better than the last one. Foamies are just fun to detail and experiment with, for me.

Your Geo: says Western WY. What general area of the state? We're enjoying living in Cody since moving here 18 months ago.

davegee

Comment

davegee Well, your passion shows! And I couldn't agree more. I used to build balsa planes for a number of years and had some epp foamies as well. All running off of nicads and nimhs with cheap motors. The finished planes could never compare to the foam planes of today. And between the quality power systems and today's batteries, we're fortunate to live in this time.

I live south of Jackson, going on 21 years now. I still feel like we just moved here. But I have been to wonderful Cody and some of the surrounding gems out that way. You are fortunate! In wyoming terms you're not that far away. I've been so busy with work making up for lost time of last year, but we keep talking about wandering around and visiting Cody and Sheridan as well as a few other places. It probably won't happen this summer but we are eager to visit some friends we have that live out that way. Now I know I should bring some planes! As if I would go anywhere without at least two of them.😉

Comment

PM me if you are ever out this way! We spent a few days in Jackson last year, hadn't been there before, but just loved the area.

A long time ago, I worked with a guy (airline captain) who commuted out of Jackson to work on his international flights. Most of us were surprised and amazed that he commuted to his work trips from such a seemingly remote place. When asked about it, if it was difficult to commute to and from work from there, he replied: "It's not difficult, it's IMPOSSIBLE!!!" But he did that for several years. I think he was an avid skier in the winter, too.

I love that country where you live, you are indeed fortunate to live there all this time.

Cheers'

davegee

Comment

davegee I will definitely let you know when I head out that way. It is a when versus an if. There's a lot of beautiful country around both of us, and that holds true no matter which way one drives in between.

Also, I don't know if you're into jets/ EDF's but there's a Jet Jam in Helena in July. I'll PM the link to you in case you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                      davegee I will definitely let you know when I head out that way. It is a when versus an if. There's a lot of beautiful country around both of us, and that holds true no matter which way one drives in between.

Also, I don't know if you're into jets/ EDF's but there's a Jet Jam in Helena in July. I'll PM the link to you in case you're interested.
                      Thanks, SanExup. I'd like to take a look at it. Not sure if we can fit it in with our summer schedule, but would be fun, for sure!

Comment

Working...
                      X