X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJI Digital HD FPV Air Unit Dynam PBY install

I'm about to stuff a DJI Digital HD FPV Air Unit into my Cat. I'm thinking of mounting it under the canopy with the camera through the center of the windscreen and an o-ring gasket. The Air Unit will be secured as far back as I can get it. So both will be suspended up high away from water. The thin plastic canopy, intended to be glued on the front hatch, will be secured by screws instead of glue for access. (It's a sea plane, right?) I'm also going to slip the GPS antenna under the forward gun turret.

Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts on the idea and would be grateful if you could give me any info on the following:

1. What would be the best way to power the Air Unit? I've heard it should be regulated to prevent power spikes. Is that an issue?
    2. I've heard the antennas on the Air Unit have a right and left orientation and should not be swapped left to right. Is that true?
    3. I understand the Air Unit gives off a lot of heat. I was thinking of using a small fan under the Air Unit with a drain and a vent at the back of the canopy. Do you think this would do the trick?

I cannot believe the adaptability of this airplane!

Something like this? Here's my setup I built years ago.

Comment

That works.

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought the DJI Digital HD FPV Air Unit did color? Are you using a different set up? I'm gonna nix the under the plastic canopy and GPS location due to possible cooling and weight & balance issues. I'd rather have light in the nose for better water landings.

I'm looking forward to flying this airplane. I haven't tried flying one of these things since I was a kid. I have cerebral palsy. I can't seem to keep one of these things in the air. I've never had this problem with a full-scale airplane. I have a private pilot's license and flew a 172 for over twenty years at EWB and never brought one back to FBO in a basket. The problem appears to be an orientation glitch. I need to "see" and "feel" what's going on from the cockpit. Boy have things changed in the hobby. I think I can make it work.

Comment

I took a look at your utube video and that copy looks much better. What threw me off is the Hud has readouts in feet, not metric values. Maybe it's because of the system I'm using (Detrum Blitz-DT9 transmitter with SR86A-G receiver).

Comment

Yeah, I would go with an open cockpit and I built an antenna mast so the antenna would reach above the wings. The dji system might be alittle different since it's a digital vs analog signal. But it also helps keep it all cooler

Comment

Working...
          X