X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warbird recomendation, P47, Spitfire, Corsair

Looking for recommendations for good warbirds in the 1400-1700mm range. Looking for bnf or pnp mainly. Looking for P47, spitfire, and corsair mainly. Grass friendly take offs and landings. Have the 1.5 eflite p51 now, Looking to add some others. Thank you.

1600 Spit is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      1600 Spit is awesome.
      I'm guessing your talking about the flightline 1600?
      I am going to look at one of those tomorrow. Someone is selling a bunch of stuff for someone who passed away and they have one of these that looks hardly used..

Comment

Yes. As far as I know there isn’t another 1600 Spit.

Comment

I have the corsair. Personally can't go wrong with any of the flightline models

Comment

I have both of the 1600 mm FL Spitfire and Corsair, either one is exceptional, so my opinion is you will eventually need both! I almost always fly them together when I take out prop warbirds. The only negative is the wing connections on the Spitfire, assuming you remove them for transport and storage. The Corsair goes together easily with ribbon connector leads, while the Spitfire you will have to connect 3 servo connection leads to the fuselage after putting the wing halves together and connecting one side of the wing to the blue box located on the wing itself. Never like to connect/disconnect servo leads each time out, so I rewired them all into a easy 5 pin latching connector. Bottom line is they both fly incredibly well and you should be able to get 10+ minutes on a 6000. I get 8 minutes on a 5000 in the Corsair, and 10 minutes on a 5000 in the Spitfire. Both are powered perfectly, unlike some of the FMS or E-Flight warbirds.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: Mig 29 "Cobra", 8S EuroFighter-Bronze Tiger, A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, 8S F16 Wild Weasel, 8S F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, Stinger 90, Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge Demonstrator. FMS-SU-30,1700mm P-51, Corsair, Viper, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P51.

Comment

Only plus on the Spit over the Corsair is grass ops but if you like the looks of the Corsair that over rides a little tippiness.

I really like P-47's but the FMS is larger and the FlightLine are better engineered. My P-47 is an older Top Flite 60.

Comment

Good point. To be fair, I should have also mentioned one of the Corsair's apparent weaknesses, the main landing gear retracts. Not that the retracts are bad (although would like to see metal casing retracts like I have in my 1700mm FMS P-51-but that's a dog of a different breed), it's just that they swing forward and rotate for scale appearance which results in ALL the landing pressure being absorbed by the retract worm screw, clearly the weakest point of these electric retracts. This will require an almost text book two point, powered and level scale landing or the retracts will buckle. The Spitty on the other hand, although it has a much narrower stance which results in that tippiness, has it's retracts extend along the wing line so it will sustain a less than perfect landing without destroying the retracts. The good news is that the Corsair will force you to learn how to land a tail dragger prop warbird correctly or you'll be replacing retracts way too often. I certainly went through my share of them at the beginning. I fly off grass and both do very will in it.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: Mig 29 "Cobra", 8S EuroFighter-Bronze Tiger, A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, 8S F16 Wild Weasel, 8S F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, Stinger 90, Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge Demonstrator. FMS-SU-30,1700mm P-51, Corsair, Viper, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P51.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDowner View Post
                  Looking for P47, spitfire, and corsair mainly.
                  One distinguishing feature of the P-47 is that the fuselage is fairly long. To me it is the best flying plane of the three at model scales. The empennage has a lot of leverage, which makes it seem super stable in the air (there is a reason RC pattern planes are long).

For comparison, the Spit's length is 81% of the span; the Corsair 82%; the P-47 comes in at almost 89%

(each plane had many versions, this is from the version used as "typical specification" on Wikipedia, specifically the Spit is Mark VB; the Corsair is F4U-4; the Jug is P47-D-40)

Comment

You have a point that typically the P-47 AS A MODEL flies better than the others but I have to say that the FL 1200 and 1600 Spitfires fly almost pattern plane-ish they are awesome flying. The worst Spit I've had was almost 40 years ago, a Pica that looked awesome but was a terror to fly. When I got orders from Pensacola to Spain I burnt it. No way was I going to give it to someone and have them go through the hell I did trying to fly it. Same with Corsairs, most of the current ones fly really well, not like older kits.

Comment

Working...
                    X