X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avios KingTwin!

Amazing flying twin! LIGHTS, FLAPS, RETRACTS!
    Links in the description!

This does look like a good model, and I have ordered one. The foam looks nice and smooth and I like the light package and the fact that it flies on 4 cell batteries. That said, at the price point ($400) I kind of expected sprung gear and nose gear doors.

Being an old Army guy, I had thought about doing mine up as a U-21. However, the darker colors tend to cause even wrapped foam to gator somewhat, so, I'll be wrapping mine at a Navy T-44A.

JB

Comment

That should look awesome! Tempted to repaint mine too

Comment

I put one in the cart. Then comes the shipping to Canada .......................... $178.00. This totals to $714.00 CAN. Then when FedEx sends me their brokerage bill and other fees, I'm looking at well over $800.00. What happened to the free shipping for orders over 100 bucks? Too rich for my blood. Nice plane maybe but for that price, it's gotta be a GREAT plane and I don't see it as that. Also in Stuart's infomercial, I noticed a horrific wing rock and tail waggle. It really should be an under $400.00 CAN plane.
        I've purchased in the past, their BushMule and Albatross sea plane and their MiG-17. Both of those are in a similar category of quality and size. They weren't nearly this much money and they were free shipping. Prices have skyrocketed. Way too much money for a HobbyKing product, even an Avios product. Perhaps if they put it on some kind of Xmas sale and do the free shipping again, it might end up in my hanger.
        Of course, then there's the spare parts inventory - hardly ever anything in stock. I've been trying to get spare props and spinners for those other two twins for over a year. I've given up and gone to MAS props where the spinners don't work anyway.

Comment

It's a great looking plane but I'm sick of getting burned by their parts support. There were mig 17 parts which to this day have never came into stock after the product was launched.

Checking spares for the king twin, there are 3 fuses in stock, 3 wings etc in the local warehouse. Not a good sign on launch day.

​​​​Fool me once...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVH View Post
            Amazing flying twin! LIGHTS, FLAPS, RETRACTS!
            Links in the description!

Your video did not show any wing rock. Was it very calm? I can't believe that Stuart is that crappy a flyer. Must have been wind gusts where he flew. Yours shows a very solid flight. Still, way too expensive with the shipping and brokerage fees.

Comment

Originally posted by mshagg View Post
              It's a great looking plane but I'm sick of getting burned by their parts support. There were mig 17 parts which to this day have never came into stock after the product was launched.

Checking spares for the king twin, there are 3 fuses in stock, 3 wings etc in the local warehouse. Not a good sign on launch day.

​​​​Fool me once...
              You understand what I'm talking about. When things come back in stock, there's only a few and they're gone in a matter of minutes. Very poor form.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Your video did not show any wing rock. Was it very calm? I can't believe that Stuart is that crappy a flyer. Must have been wind gusts where he flew. Yours shows a very solid flight. Still, way too expensive with the shipping and brokerage fees.
                Ive flown it in some gusty wind, and any plane would rock in that, but yes, the wind was pretty calm in this video.

Comment

Looking further into buying this plane. (Yes, I'm really interested.) I contacted HobbyKing about the shipping cost. A reply came saying that they do NOT have free shipping from the US warehouse to Canada. The rep then proceeds to paste the section of the shipping policy in the email reply. It clearly states that shipping to Canada is FREE. This, along with all the "out of stock" issues .................................. HobbyKing is in turmoil and headed on a steep decline. It's like one department wants to sell product and another department is doing everything they can to stop it. They have some very interesting new product, but very expensive, very limited to no stock. A very sad state of affairs. But then, with the world state of affairs, HobbyKing is not alone in this downfall. Take a look at several other major RC suppliers ............................... Alarming price increases and "OUT OF STOCK" issues.

Comment

The only bad trait I saw in the videos was a shimmy in the nose wheel that appeared to cause tracking issues. Since the roll out is pretty short, I don't think it is a terrible issue, but I'd rather see proper struts instead of wire at this price point.

Looks like a very nice plane and I have one in the cart waiting for me to make space for it in my garage.

Comment

Its pretty long, so I put a bunch of expo in the rudder with the gear down as it gets pretty sensitive being that far out there. They are going to make future batches of the wire much stiffer to cure that.

its an amazing flyer! Have you flown the albatross? Pretty similar. I cant get over how efficient the power systems are.

Comment

I think an Assan steering gyro would cure the tracking issues.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          I think an Assan steering gyro would cure the tracking issues.
                          Maybe. What I saw in the video was the wheel would wobble, pulling the wire strut, which would spring back then repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

Maybe. What I saw in the video was the wheel would wobble, pulling the wire strut, which would spring back then repeat.
                            I didn't pay attention carefully enough to that in the video. The Assan will instantly counter any tracking issues no matter what may cause it. In this case of the flex in the wire strut, the Assan will work extra hard but it should work. Furthermore, it only works when the retract is down. When up, the gyro AND the steering servo are OFF. I would not have believed it until I saw it in a video. Since then, I have the Assan in 1/2 dozen trike geared models with tracking issues. All go straight and true down the center line.

Comment

I finally got mine wrapped, but waiting on two NAVE decals from Callie to finish up the lettering. I maidened it over the weekend, it is a nice flying model and looks great in the air. After three flights the landing gear is holding up just fine on my club's grass runway.

During assembly I ran into a couple of little issues, but by the time I got to them, they had already been addressed in the KT thread over at RCG.

My only complaints are that I feel at this price point the plane should have sprung landing gear and at least nose gear doors. And, I wish manufacturers would just put the decals in the box and let the purchaser decide if they want to apply them or not.

All in all, I am pleased with the model and think it will find its way to the field often.

JB

Comment

Looks soooo goooood!

Comment

Working...
                                X