X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Motor

I'm looking for a bit more power for my HZ Carbon Cub. The present motor is a 480-960KV p/n EFLM480BL.

Since you haven't received any specific answer to your question, I'll take a stab at a more generic one.
    I don't have this plane but I have done similar mods to other planes to get a bit more ooomph. First you need to measure you stock motor and know how long and how big around it is. Then you can go shopping online to find a suitable "upgrade" motor. Then you have to know whether or not the new motor will mount to the existing X-mount and then to the holes in the firewall. Then look at the configuration of the motor itself. Where do the wires go in relative to how the motor is mounted. On your plane, the motor is mounted such that the spinning motor can is ahead of the mounting part where the wires are. The motor than spins and the prop is mounted on the front of that. (On some motors, the spinning can is behind the mounting part and the motor shaft sticks through the mounting "X" and the prop goes there.)
    Now that you've got that out of the way, you can do several things:
    1. Find a motor that has a higher kv so it will spin faster than the stock on. Your stock on is 960kv. Look for one that is around 1200kv but will still work on 3 cell batteries. A bigger ESC may be required.
    2. Find a motor that is about the same kv but will run on 4 cell batteries. A bigger ESC may be required. (Using a 4 cell battery on the stock setup will likely burn up the motor and/or ESC.)
    3. Go up in size and/or pitch and/or blades of the prop BUT doing so, you have to make sure the stock motor can take that kind of resistance as well as the ESC being able to cope with the added amp draw.

(For example, on my old HobbyKing Tundra, I went with a stronger, bigger, higher KV motor, a bigger ESC and a 4-blade prop. That little thing became a monster and still flies today with it's new owner.)

Unless someone comes along that has your plane and has done a power upgrade, this generic answer is the best I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
      Since you haven't received any specific answer to your question, I'll take a stab at a more generic one.
      I don't have this plane but I have done similar mods to other planes to get a bit more ooomph. First you need to measure you stock motor and know how long and how big around it is. Then you can go shopping online to find a suitable "upgrade" motor. Then you have to know whether or not the new motor will mount to the existing X-mount and then to the holes in the firewall. Then look at the configuration of the motor itself. Where do the wires go in relative to how the motor is mounted. On your plane, the motor is mounted such that the spinning motor can is ahead of the mounting part where the wires are. The motor than spins and the prop is mounted on the front of that. (On some motors, the spinning can is behind the mounting part and the motor shaft sticks through the mounting "X" and the prop goes there.)
      Now that you've got that out of the way, you can do several things:
      1. Find a motor that has a higher kv so it will spin faster than the stock on. Your stock on is 960kv. Look for one that is around 1200kv but will still work on 3 cell batteries. A bigger ESC may be required.
      2. Find a motor that is about the same kv but will run on 4 cell batteries. A bigger ESC may be required. (Using a 4 cell battery on the stock setup will likely burn up the motor and/or ESC.)
      3. Go up in size and/or pitch and/or blades of the prop BUT doing so, you have to make sure the stock motor can take that kind of resistance as well as the ESC being able to cope with the added amp draw.

(For example, on my old HobbyKing Tundra, I went with a stronger, bigger, higher KV motor, a bigger ESC and a 4-blade prop. That little thing became a monster and still flies today with it's new owner.)

Unless someone comes along that has your plane and has done a power upgrade, this generic answer is the best I can do.
      Well, it's a very good answer. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
      X