Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biplane balsa kit

Hi All,
    I'm looking to build a WACO, Stearman or Stagger wing Beech biplane for an over winter project. Any recommendations as to a good quality kit? 45" or larger wingspan, electric power. I've been eyeing the Manzano Laser Works WACO YMF-5. Other ideas will be appreciated.

I have the prototype Pat built for this model
    https://manzanolaser.com/WACO-SREARE...it_p_3095.html

It is a work of art and a lovely model. Pat designs and builds super light planes. His cub is the only cub I've seen that looks and flies right. It just dances in the air like a full sized cub.

Don't be tempted to upgrade the power. This plane is light and doesn't need it

Comment

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
      I have the prototype Pat built for this model
      https://manzanolaser.com/WACO-SREARE...it_p_3095.html

It is a work of art and a lovely model. Pat designs and builds super light planes. His cub is the only cub I've seen that looks and flies right. It just dances in the air like a full sized cub.

Don't be tempted to upgrade the power. This plane is light and doesn't need it
      Really appreciate the reply. I'm looking at the larger open cockpit model, but the smaller one would do just fine. This is the kind of info I am after. Someone that has experience with the manufacturer.😊

Comment

Originally posted by InaSpin View Post

Really appreciate the reply. I'm looking at the larger open cockpit model, but the smaller one would do just fine. This is the kind of info I am after. Someone that has experience with the manufacturer.😊
        Pat also writes a regular column in the AMA magazine. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Comment

Seagull has a very nice Stearman. I also like Phoenix Waco both are instock ready to ship.

Comment

Originally posted by torchbearer View Post
            Seagull has a very nice Stearman. I also like Phoenix Waco both are instock ready to ship.
            Thanks much, I now have another option that I was not aware of, Seagull!! Just the info I need!! No pricing on Phoenix???

Comment

I believe these are ARF, not kits. Nothing wrong with that.

Do you have a link?

Comment

Tower hobbies carries the Phoenix Waco

Gatorrc.com carries the Seagull brand of planes. The Stearman with the six foot wingspan 30cc size engine is very similar to my Great Planes Stearman which is amazing to fly!!! I drop parachutes and water bomb many aerobatics but it settles right down and flies in my opinion better than trainers.

God Bless

Comment

Gatorrc.com carries the Seagull brand of planes. The Stearman with the six foot wingspan 30cc size engine is very similar to my Great Planes Stearman which is amazing to fly!!! I drop parachutes and water bomb many aerobatics but it settles right down and flies in my opinion better than trainers.

God Bless
                  Thank you!!! These are indeed what I hope mine will look like, but are ARF and I want to build my own Balsa bird. You comments may help convince me that the Stearman is the best choice.

Comment

God Bless
                    Well, I've just purchased a set of plans for a WACO UPF-7. 56" wingspan, plans by Roy Day. I purchased the plans from the AMA plans site. Now in the process of purchasing wood, parts and pieces needed to complete my winter time project. If anyone has had the opportunity of building this plane, I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments you may have.

Comment

I'm to the point of fiber glassing the center section of both wings to my WACO. Never have used fiber glass. Can regular 2-part epoxy adhesive be used, or should I buy epoxy resin?

Comment

Working...
                      X