X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for opinions on beginner EDFs

Hey, I’m in the market for a new airplane this Christmas season so I’m looking for advice on a plane I should get (I’m extremely inexperienced) I own a delta ray trainer (the older model,) and I have a Duet. I want to get a EDF plane that I could add to my collection and fly, I would like to get either RTF or BNF if the plane can fly with my radio. (it’s a DX4e) but I have a plane I’ve been looking at and wanted an opinion on too and I wanted to know if it could bind with my radio, if it can’t than please give me suggestions on beginner EDFs. Thanks for your time! Link to jet mentioned earlier: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../EFLU6550.html

Any of the UMX planes (jets included) are fairly easy to fly with their SAFE select. Yes, your DX4e should be compatible with this A-10. You might take a look at the manual first before buying it so you can see what it can do and what it needs to make it work for you. Click on the manual/support page in the link you put up.

Comment

Originally posted by コブラ「 cobra 」 View Post
      Hey, I’m in the market for a new airplane this Christmas season so I’m looking for advice on a plane I should get (I’m extremely inexperienced) I own a delta ray trainer (the older model,) and I have a Duet. I want to get a EDF plane that I could add to my collection and fly, I would like to get either RTF or BNF if the plane can fly with my radio. (it’s a DX4e) but I have a plane I’ve been looking at and wanted an opinion on too and I wanted to know if it could bind with my radio, if it can’t than please give me suggestions on beginner EDFs. Thanks for your time! Link to jet mentioned earlier: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../EFLU6550.html
      Not sure that A-10 will work with the DX4e. Horizon claims you will need a 5 channel TX. I suspect that channel 1=throttle, channels 2-4 for ailerons/elevator/rudder but to use Safe Select (unless I'm mistaken, as I've never used it but still use exclusively the Spektrum gyro receivers in everything) you will need a 5th channel to program the safe select which the DX4e will not have. You may want to upgrade your TX to at least a 6 or higher channel TX for Christmas. It will serve you well in the coming years if you feel you will be flying somewhat frequently. If you get more into larger birds and EDF's (since most will have operational landing gear and flaps), generally a 6 channel is minimum (channel 5 for operational landing gear and channel 6 for flaps, which most mid-sized EDF's and prop planes have). With those planes, you still may not be able to program in safe select unless you have a DX8 or DX9. My recommendation is to get the DX9 because in a year or so you'll be glad you did instead of outgrowing a DX6 in a short period of time.

A friend has that A-10 and it was one of the first EDF's he got and he loved it. Outgrew it though in 6 months and he's now onto the 1700mm Freewing A-10 and the Mig-29 with an IX 20 TX!
      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Good advice, Hugh. Without a 5th channel (and the corresponding switch), this plane will likely default to SAFE only when bound. Still flyable but would get boring really quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Not sure that A-10 will work with the DX4e. Horizon claims you will need a 5 channel TX. I suspect that channel 1=throttle, channels 2-4 for ailerons/elevator/rudder but to use Safe Select (unless I'm mistaken, as I've never used it but still use exclusively the Spektrum gyro receivers in everything) you will need a 5th channel to program the safe select which the DX4e will not have. You may want to upgrade your TX to at least a 6 or higher channel TX for Christmas. It will serve you well in the coming years if you feel you will be flying somewhat frequently. If you get more into larger birds and EDF's (since most will have operational landing gear and flaps), generally a 6 channel is minimum (channel 5 for operational landing gear and channel 6 for flaps, which most mid-sized EDF's and prop planes have). With those planes, you still may not be able to program in safe select unless you have a DX8 or DX9. My recommendation is to get the DX9 because in a year or so you'll be glad you did instead of outgrowing a DX6 in a short period of time.

A friend has that A-10 and it was one of the first EDF's he got and he loved it. Outgrew it though in 6 months and he's now onto the 1700mm Freewing A-10 and the Mig-29 with an IX 20 TX!
          Good to know, I figured it would be fine because the radio has a 3 position switch on it which is used for operating the SAFE modes on my delta ray.

Comment

Originally posted by コブラ「 cobra 」 View Post

Good to know, I figured it would be fine because the radio has a 3 position switch on it which is used for operating the SAFE modes on my delta ray.
            Then it may work. I would call or email a tech at Horizon and make sure. I just looked on their website and they list that it needs minimum 5 channels, so not sure. I'd still think about having Santa get you a new DX9 to set you up for the future. 🤣
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
            Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
            X